FAA Announces Small UAS Registration Rule

Started by _AH_Twenty, December 14, 2015, 02:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   I saw this coming over 2 months ago and sold my drone while I could. You don't get to be my age by being stupid.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Twenty

FAA Releases B4UFLY Smartphone App
January 6- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Michael Huerta today announced the public release of the B4UFLY mobile application following an initial beta testing period.

B4UFLY tells users about current or upcoming requirements and restrictions in areas of the National Airspace System (NAS) where they may want to operate their unmanned aircraft system (UAS). The app is now available for Apple devices and can be downloaded from the App Store.

The FAA also is releasing a beta version of B4UFLY for Android devices, which can be downloaded from Google.

"We expect B4UFLY will help raise public awareness about what it means to operate unmanned aircraft safely," Huerta said at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, NV. "It is another important part of our education and awareness efforts to foster a culture of safety and accountability for the UAS community."

The B4UFLY app includes a number of enhancements the FAA developed as a result of user feedback during the beta testing announced in May 2015 . Within two taps, users know if it is safe to fly at their current location. The app provides a status indicator that tells users: "Proceed with Caution," "Warning – Action Required," or "Flight Prohibited." The app also features a planner mode that allows users to select a different time and location for an upcoming flight and determine if there are any restrictions at that place and time.

By law, hobbyists who want to fly within five miles of an airport must notify the airport operator and the air traffic control facility (if there is one) prior to flying. For now, B4UFLY will ask users who are supposed to notify the airport before flying for voluntary information about their planned flight. This will not meet the statutory requirement to notify the airport and air traffic control facility, but the data will help the agency make informed policy decisions related to notification. This information will not be publicly available.

_AH_Autorotate

well, i'm registered... waiting for my card in the mail.

Federal Aviation Administration
Small UAS Certificate of Registration
UAS CERTIFICATE NUMBER: FA3AW3ARMR
ISSUED:    01/02/2016    EXPIRES:    01/02/2019

_AH_z5o

Ya, I got to do this asap. No hurry though, still waiting on my drone to come in the mail.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Twenty

You have until Jan 20, 2016 or it will cost you!

_AH_z5o

Ya, I've got to get to town and hit the bank before I can. But, shouldn't be any problem. I'm still waiting on the mail to bring it. Shouldn't be much longer.

_AH_Twenty

Get Ready for the New Small Drone Rule!

A new world of opportunities for drone operators opens next week on August 29 when the new small drone rule for non-hobbyists becomes effective. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) wants to make sure you have the information you'll need to take advantage of those opportunities.

Aeronautical Knowledge Test
One very important step you have to take is to obtain your remote pilot certificate. Under the new rule—also known as Part 107—the person actually flying a drone must have a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating, or be directly supervised by someone with such a certificate.

To qualify for the certificate, you must either pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center or have an existing non-student Part 61 pilot certificate. If you are qualifying under the latter provision, you must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and must take an FAA UAS online training course. The Transportation Security Administration will conduct a security background check of all remote pilot applications prior to issuance of a certificate.

The FAA has posted extensive materials, including a test guide and sample questions, to help you prepare for the knowledge test. You can review the materials by clicking on the "Knowledge Test Prep Part 107" button at www.faa,gov/uas.

You also can watch a short video about the knowledge test here: https://youtu.be/v-d1RuTFvbs.

_AH_Col._Hogan

"You can pry my drone from my cold dead fing.....Oh wait.... that was something else...

_AH_z5o

Got mine,
UAS Certificate Number FA3TM3FKPH
06/15/16 - 06/15/19

But, that's for hobby class