Bears Campaign Mission 20

Started by _AH_Bear, January 27, 2017, 12:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_z5o

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Olds

I'll take a 51 with Hollywood or Gatlin.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_DarkWolf

What kind of enemy tanks were in the Typhoon and P-38 target area, Bear? They looked like some manifestation of Pz.IV. I was surprised we could'nt affect them with 20mm, I wanna do some testing.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Bear

5x German Medium Tank Panzer III Ausf. J

_AH_DarkWolf

Wow, they were only Pz.IIIs? Well that makes it even stranger.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

Ok I did some testing in the Typhoon with cannon vs the Panzer III Ausf. J. I tried the standard rear and side armor shots but the results were very disappointing. You can kill them but I could only get 1 or 2 with a full Typhoon ammo load. It required as many as 6 passes to get one tank. So I thought maybe coming in steeper and hitting the upper deck armor might work (theoretically that should be the thinnest) and that appears to be the ticket. First try I popped 4 of them before hitting the ground on my last pass (the steep approach is bloody dangerous), the next time I got 7 of them before running out of ammo. We're talking coming in like 50-70 degrees which I find is not very intuitive for strafing but its definitely effective.

DW