Deal'n Dave's - Solomon Islands Campaign

Started by AH_DealnDave, March 13, 2017, 01:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

If I remember, before the japanese built more airfields in the Solomons they were flying down from Rabaul which meant the fighters were did'nt have alot of fuel to mess about over Guadalcanal. Something makes me think I read somewhere they had drop tanks but could not drop them, they either needed the fuel still in them to get home or could'nt replace them. So they had that handicap as well.

Quote from: AH_DealnDave on July 29, 2017, 07:00:51 AM
The AI do not turn and run as was the case in the war.

Speaking of fuel, that is actually one way in which you can enforce a finite engagement to a degree. The AI will break off and RTB once they are bingo fuel. So if you tune their fuel levels you can nix their propensity to fight forever.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Bear

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on July 30, 2017, 06:47:59 PM
If I remember, before the japanese built more airfields in the Solomons they were flying down from Rabaul which meant the fighters were did'nt have alot of fuel to mess about over Guadalcanal. Something makes me think I read somewhere they had drop tanks but could not drop them, they either needed the fuel still in them to get home or could'nt replace them. So they had that handicap as well.

Quote from: AH_DealnDave on July 29, 2017, 07:00:51 AM
The AI do not turn and run as was the case in the war.

Speaking of fuel, that is actually one way in which you can enforce a finite engagement to a degree. The AI will break off and RTB once they are bingo fuel. So if you tune their fuel levels you can nix their propensity to fight forever.

DW

How low of fuel do you think works best .?? or it depends on there return distance?

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on July 30, 2017, 06:47:59 PM

DW
S~ All,

I should have thought about restricting the AI fuel levels, it just never occurred to me.  :)  I'll look at this going forward for sure. Thanks much DW !!!

Bear, in the current campaign I'm thinking 60% fuel would be enough to give the AI about 10 mins worth of fight before turning for home. But, and there always seems to be a, but" it would also depend on when our group meets the point I set up for the designated engagement. Sometimes we get there sooner and sometimes later. I think 60% should be a good fuel load.

Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Bear on July 30, 2017, 07:05:49 PM
How low of fuel do you think works best .?? or it depends on there return distance?

I think it would depend on the aircraft type in conjuction with the distance. Zekes for example have really long legs, so I bet you could cut them down quite a bit.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill