Solomon Campaign and Comms

Started by _AH_Hollywood, April 12, 2017, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Hollywood

~S~ All,

I didn't want to hi-jack Dave's Solomon thread, so here is a new one...

QuoteAs with this mission, or any upcoming mission, I welcome all constructive and "off the wall" comments - Dave

In light of the separate comms, I heard several times, "oh, I forgot, they are not on our comms..." or something to that effect....not to mention that I am not that versed (such as DW) to write a novel in the chat bar...

Perhaps, the Squad Leaders can open a separate comms (much like we did for the recent TD memorial) so we can relay information, sightings and help if needed.... that way we get the best of both worlds...

Any suggestions....

Wood
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_Bear

I think we should just all stay on the same comm... over complicating things is whats happening here i think... always worked before.. as a fighter pilot i couldnt hear or know when the SBDs were in trouble or where they were.. separate comms, in my opinion .. is very ineffective... just my 2 cents..

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_Hollywood on April 12, 2017, 10:45:55 PM

Perhaps, the Squad Leaders can open a separate comms (much like we did for the recent TD memorial) so we can relay information, sightings and help if needed.... that way we get the best of both worlds...

Wood
S~ All,

As with any "new" methods there are going to be some minor hick-up's. I also noticed guys stating "they are on a different channel", I do like Wood's suggestion that the Squad Leaders communicate with each other.  This would be very similar to how communications operated during this period.

I understand that some here would just like a singular channel. To these folks, this was the 1st mission ... let's try and let the Squad Leaders lead their squads and give the comms a bit more of a chance over the next few missions.  If the comms become an issue ... we can always go back to a to single channel.

The idea was to provide a bit more realism and reduce the amount of comm's chatter from 20+ pilots, to a manageable 8 pilots, allowing the Squad Leaders to position their pilot's where needed.

However, the whole idea of this campaign is to have "FUN" ... so, if the comm's become an issue, we'll go back to a single channel if that is what the group would like.  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Col._Hogan

We will stay on separate comms for now.

Like woody mentioned, perhaps a whisper channel can also do the trick.

Squadron leaders, do the best you can to keep your pilots together. That will also help.

S!

_AH_Hollywood

Zip, Zang Bang!!!

Feeling good about this...

Bear... Let's roll with it.....  Wasn't so bad yesterday, 2 out of 3 were on the same comms...

Fighter cover needs to hear help is needed tho..

Concise, Grid location Alpha and Number, Alt and Size of Force...

Bear, not to worry...you didn't miss any of Jack's jokes....

Wood

"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_Lippy

_AH_Twenty

I like the separate comms when in combat, easier to talk to the flight. However, asking for help or warning another pilot who is on a different channel is a problem. A while ago I worked on what I thought was a useless project that might help today. see link below, just click on picture, it should start to play.

https://goo.gl/photos/4X656qWyvu9stjYB9

_AH_Autorotate

when do they go on sale twenty!

pretty neat!

_AH_Hollywood

that's cool... are you ready to build 24 of them?

_AH_Col._Hogan

Holy S***, that is F******* Awesome!

I'm going to have to order you to build one of those for each pilot.

As your commanding officer, you will build one for me first and then proceed onto building the others.

Funds will be made available from "Jack's Birthday Bank", he won't be with us too much longer as he is old...

!!!!!S!!!!! (<-- That means I'm in my dress uni).

_AH_Bear

After we attacked the 1st wave, Wilder and I scouted ahead and met up with the 2nd wave at the end of the waypoints... we tried staying high and let you all know but typing isn't a skill i have learned to combine with flying.. we both were taken out by the zeros in that group after making a combined 4 kills.. woulda been nice to call out to others for help... just saying.. im not a fan of split comms.. all it seems to afford is more air time for personalized chat until the action happens.. we miss out on having the ability to help each other and divide ourselves making it easier to be conquered... if we were in different areas on the map with different goals etc, i can see the advantage .. but not when were all on the same mission... flying as a group... taking on a common enemy .. makes no sense to me at all...

Just my 2 cents

Until Twenty makes us all his gadget that is ..  :happy-112:

_AH_Bear

Quote from: _AH_Twenty on May 03, 2017, 11:58:11 PM
I like the separate comms when in combat, easier to talk to the flight. However, asking for help or warning another pilot who is on a different channel is a problem. A while ago I worked on what I thought was a useless project that might help today. see link below, just click on picture, it should start to play.

https://goo.gl/photos/4X656qWyvu9stjYB9

you need to start a Go Fund Me page for that...

_AH_kawilder

That setup is nice Twenty, One for each squad leader maybe? Got a schematic for that twenty? I have my own soldering iron. Since our squad channels are close together maybe a simple previous or next channel switch would work ok. I will have to look into My G keys on my G15.

Got a schematic for that twenty?

kaw

_AH_Twenty

I can create schematic, and even build a few if wanted (flight leads and HQ). It shouldn't be that that expensive if only the flights and red and blue are switchable (5 switches). The project shouldn't completely drain the Jack fund.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Cool Switch, Twenty.     

Of course there's always the option of using a bind in vent. There are two possible shortcomings of a bind though.

What I'm talking about is flight leads setting a key or button that will transmit across channels to only the other flight leaders. Technically it would be a virtual channel for flight leaders. 
  Flight leads would be on their respective channels, and by using a different transmit key would broadcast to only the flight leaders no matter what channel they are in. 

I've only spent about 45 minutes researching how to set it up which is why I mentioned possible drawbacks. It looks there are a couple ways of setting it up. The first way is the virtual channel, but the drawback there is if a flight leader is absent there would be additional set up needed to add that substitute flight leader to the virtual channel and having the sub lead also set up a second PTT key - which sounds a little fussy to me.
Since I'm early into figuring this out, I'm not sure but I might be able to set up flight leaders to be able to broadcast to the other channels and ( this part I'm not sure about yet)  at the same time have only the flight leaders hear it. I saw something about users muting cross channel talk but need to look at it more to be sure it's what I'm hoping it is.       
We've tried broadcasting into other channels before and a lot of the time having some one transmit blindly across channels ends up gumming up comms for the channel they're trying to broadcast to because they can't hear anything from that other channel, a lot of the time it just ends up being cross talk and not understandable.   The part I'm not sure about is having only one person on a channel receive a cross channel transmission.  If that's possible I think that would be the way to go. No extra set up other than the sub flight leader setting a bind and a second key to talk across channels - which is pretty easy and quick. We're talking a few clicks on a couple drop down menus in vent. Which I'll supply a how to for once I've figured out what'll work best.  Might have something more later today since it's supposed to rain all day here.   

Having said all that, those switches look pretty fun and no extra keys taken - which I know can be a problem for some.     

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.