Solomon Campaign and Comms

Started by _AH_Hollywood, April 12, 2017, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Lippy

I thought I was on the list set it up a few years back to move peeps from one channel to another fopr training. Anywho I will discuss this further and set it up so I can do comms right.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Looks like we've got the cross channel coms sorted for flight leaders.  Well done, guys.   User to User  is what worked.  The Voice Target option was fighting back.

I'll look into why the moving users to different channels part isn't working. I expect to have a solution tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks again to the guys that are using passwords now.

The plan is to have at least all  HQ and Flight Leads using passwords so they can have access to more of the features vent offers. 
For the rest of us, passwords are currently optional.  Recommended, but optional. If you want a password, let me know and you'll get one. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Lippy

thanks BB great job setting this up.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Always happy to help when i can, and right back at ya.  Thank all of you guy for your indulgence and patience while we work the bugs out. 

I know Bear was having an issue early in the mission last night, but was able to get it working while in flight.
   After Bear spoke to the other flight leads he could no longer hear  the people on the channel he was on.  I think he fixed it after a couple of tries of unloading and reloading the bind.  Which is the part that concerns me the most -not knowing what caused the problem and not being able to pin point the fix.   
My first guess is the "Mute inbound Streams option" being checked - which I think I recommended  thinking it would mute others only while he transmitted across channels, not permanently. I'm not sure if that was unchecked during Bear's in flight troubleshooting session or not. Troubleshooting vent while flying- that had to be fun.   

Did anyone else using their U2U bind find their own channel muted once they spoke across channels?

Hoping to have a block of time today to figure out how to enable any AH member ( that uses a password) to be able to move other people onto different channels, and also look into the problem Bear was having. Depends on how long I can deal with trying to get my  :censored-015:  :censored-015:piece of   :censored-015: :censored-015:  that is my  :censored-015: jib again today since the weather looks right for it.     

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_BBQhead

S~ All

I've made some changes to the Vent server.  If you are having trouble logging on, shoot me a PM, or you might be able to create a new username and log on with   no password.  <----- Not expecting that to happen, but just in case it does you can still get on comms. 

If you use a password you should be able to move people around to different channels now. 

If you are HQ or a flight leader:
  You can add,  edit users passwords,  and kick  users if  they need kicking. HQ guys can also  ban users forever or for as long as they see fit.

_AH_Lippy

Sorry BB I had computer issue as well and funny this is the first time it happened. When you respawn and hit the escape key it takes you too that screen, well that is what i saw on my screen. I hit the esc key to try and get it to go away ad not happening. I could tell I was flying and make the plane move but I could not see what was in front of me so I hit disconnect to save from ruining someone elses game.
More to the point on the ground it was working perfect for me and in DW room as well. I cant speak for during the mission sorry.
Wood thanks for the survival I was so pissed I realy didnt explain things to everyone before i left.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Seems the binding feature to speak across channels is a bit buggy. So you

So for you flight leader type guys,  I'd like to offer an alternative which is to run a second instance of vent and  set a different Push to talk ( PTT) button there, and all flight leads can join an open channel on that second instance, and communicate there when needed.

TO run a second Vent is pretty easy.  Here's how:

Create a desktop shortcut to ventrillo.  ( find Ventrilo.exe, right click, send to desktop)
  If you've already got a Ventrilo shortcut on your desktop, you don't need a second one.
Right click the vent shortcut and click Properties.
Click on the Shortcut Tab.
      You will see the path to your Ventrilo,exe in the Target line. 
        Add a space and -m after the quotation mark. Mine looks like this:   "C:\Program Files\Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe" -m
Click Apply
Click OK
Launch Ventrilo from the short cut.
Launch Ventrilo again from the short cut.   
     There's a good chance it will look like nothing happened, but if you drag the Ventrilo window you should see you now have two Ventrilo windows.  Pick one and change the PTT key.  Flight leaders just need to  pick an open channel and jump in.

You might want to use a different username in the second vent ( no password needed). It's less confusing. Maybe just add a 2 to your username.  Your new username won't have AH rights, but you shouldn't need them to join and go to a channel with just flight leads there. You should be able to go to an open/empty channel, and using your second PTT key be able to talk to each other there when needed.
You'll also see your other self on the other channel with your flight.  Use your original PTT button to talk on that channel. 

There's a good number of guys that have used the two vent method without any bugs that I know of so far.