1 Frame per second

Started by _AH_Archie, June 07, 2017, 11:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Archie

My game is acting up. 

Loading takes 4 times as long in multi and single player.  Once arming screen finally loads I move my mouse to select items but the courser cant keep up with the movement so it pauses and jumps.   Upon loading a map i am getting 1 frame per second.

Game worked great for a year and no changes were made.

Deleted game and loaded a saved game off a thumb drive that was saved months ago but same issues.

Any ideas other than a Aces High funded trip to New Jersey to grab a thumb drive?

Arch

PS  All Aces High funded trips to New Jersey include charter fishing excursions and lodging at the local Holiday Inn

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.

_AH_Nimble

I wonder if your video card might be getting a little old and need a fishing trip too???   :surprised-027:

_AH_Bear

maybe try shutting it down and reseat all the ram sticks and vid card.. clean it out while your at it..

_AH_Jack

It does sound like a memory or graphics card issue.  Maybe a corrupted graphics driver?  The Holiday Inn is fully booked right now.  I'll let you know when she's got a free weekend.

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Archie on June 07, 2017, 11:22:05 PM
...and lodging at the local Holiday Inn

Say "Hi!" to Jack's wife!

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_kawilder

Make sure fan on video card is working also.

kaw

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Yep. Sounds like it might be time for a cleaning. Just blowing out the dust and reseating the cables and cards is a great first troubleshooting step to solving  a lot of performance problems. Estimate 45 minutes from shut down to power up - including a brief pause for a beverage refill and a snack. If you've done it before, you can probably get it done in 15 to 20 without rushing. 

First check for the obvious stuff pretty much everyone else here has mentioned like the fan on the video card, and pulling the memory sticks and putting them back in.  Or if you have another known to be able to work video card laying around being a bum, might pop that one in and see if  the problem goes away. 
  But since you'll be in there, and depending on how much trouble it is to get inside your box, you might want to go a step further so you don't have to wrestle it out from under the desk again too soon.

Some good general computer housekeeping steps to be done every year or so are:

1. Blow out the dust. Not only does it make your computer run hotter by reducing air flow, dust can be an electrical conductor and cause components to fail. 

Unplug everything from your computer,  then open it and remove any dust, especially in and around the vents and fans. Don't forget to check the fans on the power supply. I usually take the opened computer outside and blast it with a shop vac blower. I leave all the cards and memory sticks in while I do it so I'm not blowing dust and soot into the card slots.  Once the dust is gone, take your computer back inside and pour yourself a refreshing beverage. 

2. Fight corrosion and chip creep.

Don't pull the little battery, usually about the size and shape of a quarter, out of its little home on the main board. Doing so would set your bios settings to default.. which could cause problems.

Remove and reseat data cables, power cables, memory sticks  and any removable cards.The only wires I usually don't bother with are the pin out connectors. A row or double row of numbered pins found on some boards. Those  are where the smallest wires you'll find in your computer attach. They usually lead from the power buttons, indicator lights, and other switches and misc items attached to the case down to a row of metal pins on the main board. Some set ups have all of the little wires cabled together and use a single connector - if it's that type then it could only help to clean it - Unplug it and plug it back in a couple times.
  Lift and reseat each item as you go. You don't want to pull everything out, then have to figure out where everything was in order to get it back together.   
I pull and replace each card and cable 2 or 3 times. The slight scraping of the contact points by lifting and reseating helps clean off the fretting corrosion that happens there.

3. Optional, kind of. This step should be done once in a while, but it's slightly more technical. If you don't think you can do this part, it's ok for now. It's not hard, but if you've never done it can be intimidating.

Remove, separate, clean, regrease, and reseat the CPU/ Heatsink assembly.

Archie, it sounds like you're only having trouble when running the game, so I doubt it's your CPU that's causing the problem. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Shrtaprch

If you need a card I have a NIB 9600GT sitting around collecting dust I would mail to ya!  Its a PNY GEforce Verto PCIx16 with 1 gb ram.  Not the best card....but will run the game just fine!

Shrt

_AH_Archie

Tried all the cleaning steps suggested but still have the issue with il2

Edit:  Did a system restore to 1 week ago and all is well

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.

_AH_Bear

Quote from: _AH_Archie on June 09, 2017, 10:18:43 AM
Tried all the cleaning steps suggested but still have the issue with il2

Edit:  Did a system restore to 1 week ago and all is well

Dam..

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Well done, Archie.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

Hmm, maybe windows update did something stupid?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Nimble

Seems youve developed the  absolute handicap ??? :surprised-027: