Author Topic: BoS 1st Impressions  (Read 155 times)

Offline _AH_z5o

• Calendar Monkey
  • Administrator
BoS 1st Impressions
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:09:14 AM »

Now taking in to account Ive got to fiddle with my settings to get the best game play out of BoS Basic.
With that said.
- Track IR, DIDNT work at first. I had to locate the profile in the TrackIR software and engage it before it started working. No problem. IL2 BoS is listed in there.
- Game Play/Aircraft Handling. It wasnt all the big of a deal to setup my Joystick and Throttle for the game. The settings menu wasnt to bad to figure out. Still finding handling to be a bit touchy though.
- Graphic. Wow, simply wow. This game REALLY has the eye candy. it didnt run to bad and I think with some tweeking in the setting it'll run nicely. The aircraft were beautiful. The trees look like tree's, mind blowingly so. From ALL angles.
- Download and Install was easy enough.
- Sound. once again. Wow.
In short, GREAT looking game. $17 USD for the Basic game. Well worth it. If not for anything else but just to kick around.
Im looking forward for it to get a bigger fallowing with AH.

Conns:
Learning curve: its going to be a changeling to get used to flying the new aircraft. But, nothing to stress about. Im sure anyone can pick it up quite quickly. If your a killer, youll be one fast in BoS Im sure.
Its not free. ;)
It needs a bigger fallowing. If not with anyone else, but, AH.

Now the only question I have is. Now that Ive got it. Now what?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 05:17:49 AM by _AH_z5o »
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Offline _AH_DarkWolf

• Administrator
Re: BoS 1st Impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »
Still finding handling to be a bit touchy though.

I don't know if you've noticed but in the key mapping thang, at the far right of anything you've assigned an axis too there is a little box with a wavy line through it. If you click that box you can adjust the sensitivity for that axis. 0% is at max and as you increase it, it adds more and more of a curve to the imput and makes it less sensitive.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

Online _AH_Col._Hogan

• Administrator
  • S.A.P.P.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 07:55:31 PM »
Now the only question I have is. Now that Ive got it. Now what?

Enjoy it silly!

~S

Offline _AH_Hollywood

• Global Moderator
  • It never happened!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »
Glad to see a few others dipping their toe in the water...

As Zulu said, once you get the controls up and running, your off to the races.

I have two key command cheat sheets that will make things easier.

Also, I’ve located a website that has tutorials on the basics and each plane.

I can reply later with these.

S!

Wood
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

Offline AH_DealnDave

• Aces High Member
  • Aces High crash test Dummy :)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:34:49 PM »
I have a question, is there a download that includes Stalingrad, Moscow, and Kuban? OR, are they all separate games? I'm interested in possibly DL'ing the sim if they comes as complete package.
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

Offline _AH_z5o

• Calendar Monkey
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
Just BoS
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Offline _AH_Turbo

• Aces High Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 11:32:31 PM »
OK have downloaded BOS not real sure what all the hype.is about.If any one has wed page on how to set x52 I could use the information
Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and your a thousand miles from the corn field. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline _AH_DarkWolf

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 12:03:09 AM »
I have a question, is there a download that includes Stalingrad, Moscow, and Kuban? OR, are they all separate games? I'm interested in possibly DL'ing the sim if they comes as complete package.

I don't think they have an everything for X price deal as yet. The three components are sold seperately with Standard and Premium versions of each, but they install together into the same peice of software. Sort of like how what we fly now is Forgotten Battles+Aces Expansion+Pacific Fighters+Pe2 Add-on+1946 kinda thing.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

Offline _AH_Hollywood

• Global Moderator
  • It never happened!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 12:05:16 AM »

DnD, when you are logged in to the website, look in the upper right, you will see "Profile", click on that and then look for "License Keys" and that is where each "Battle Series" (i.e. Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban etc..) go.

So, one game download, and then activation.
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

Offline _AH_Hollywood

• Global Moderator
  • It never happened!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:28 AM »

S! AH,

Here is a link to two key command resources: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3oarg35y9o5mwxa/AAAbHZ2s44PztgcFdFzz37xua?dl=0

With the update of 3.007, there have been some new key commands, but for BOS (Battle of Stalingrad), BOM (Battle of Moscow) and BOK (Battle of Kuban), these two references should help..

As for "tuts" this is a good one to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheAirCombatTutorialLibrary?gvnc=1

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303117111

Offline _AH_Hollywood

• Global Moderator
  • It never happened!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 12:23:58 AM »
OK have downloaded BOS not real sure what all the hype is about. If any one has wed page on how to set x52 I could use the information

Turbo,

I think the first major take away that I notice is the level of modeling for Engine Management... the engines are far less "indestructible" in BoS. It forces you to fly much like in the RW.
Attention to Manifold pressures, RPM, oil and water temps are modeled in all A/C. With the new Jugs, cylinder and carb air temps along with the GE Turbosuperchargers are modeled. Additionally, compressibilty is now modeled.

Secondly, is the graphics... in and out of the cockpit...

As for Saitek X52 guidance... I currently do not use X52, others do... let me see if I can locate a tutorial or profile for ya!

S!

HW

Offline _AH_DarkWolf

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
I've noticed when I fire my guns in BoS, when I release the trigger the gunfire sound effects seem to persist for the better part of a second after my guns stop. Anyone else notice that? Wondering if its a game thing or maybe something specific to my Soundblaster Z.

DW

Offline _AH_Autorotate

• El Capitán
  • Administrator
  • i'd rather be autorotating.
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »
i've got BoS somewhere...