Misc Images

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, July 09, 2007, 03:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Col._Hogan

"Dear John" letter eh?

_AH_Nimble

yep Hogan , I know all about Dear John letters...  cant wait  yep   :help-sos-sos-29402:

_AH_Autorotate

_AH_Autorotate

_AH_DarkWolf

I was up at the Gatineau airport today for the Battle of Britain commemoration. Thats where Vintage Wings of Canada is based, they had their newly restored Spitfire IX flying with their Hurricane.

Its pretty spiffy looking, you can see the Snowbirds taxxing after landing in the background.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_Bear

_AH_Autorotate

grumman f8f bearcat with a bit of an issue...

_AH_DarkWolf

Looks like he straddled something taxiing.

Whats up with that upper-right blade? Looks almost like it peeled apart. Actually the lower left one looks similar. Are the blades manufactured in two halves?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

Speaking of propellers, I think I mentioned this to you guys before but I never posted up pictures. My grandfather was in the Royal Canadian Corps of Electrical Engineers during the war. He arrived on the continent about a week after D-Day and his unit followed the Canadian Army through France, Belgium, Holland and into Germany. The engineering units had these huge trucks that were like mobile workshops with every imaginable piece of equipment and alot of trench art stuff came out of them.

This is a cribbage board that was made for my grandfather by a buddy of his. Its made from a slice of propeller, those are his initials in the board itself. It has a threaded hole drilled into the top with a stubby aluminum screw cap that acts as a storage for the four pins. There is a peg on the back on one corner so it sits flat on account of the slight twist. I assume the twist is not damage but is part of the shape of the blade from where it was cut from. A couple of the holes in the board are not very deep, I think the guy snapped off some drill bits making it. I thought way back in the day there was talk it was from a german aircraft but my brother says he was told by my grandfather that it was from a B-17.

Not the greatest pictures, I put the ruler in there just to give an idea of scale.

DW

AH_DealnDave

Very Kool DW !!!! ... Thanks for sharing  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Jack

_AH_Lippy

Nice board and a heck of a story to go with it.

_AH_Col._Hogan

What a great treasure.

~S

_AH_Twenty