Ask _AH_Duff4r!

Started by _AH_Raider, January 18, 2008, 03:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

Olds,

The dll's are for IL-2 specifically and yes the work with any video card.

Duff

_AH_Moggy

S! Duff4r:

I'm going to test the new .dll's and will report back with results.

BTW, on another subject (titled "Tech Question for Today"), have you used DXTweaker, specifically to force Triple Buffering in D3D apps?

I'm thinking more in terms of FSX/FS9, rather than for IL-2, since most folks use Open GL API for that game.

Moggy

_AH_Duff4r

S~ Moggy,

Here's what I've been told and no I haven't used DXTweaker, checking it out now!

Forcing Triple-Buffer

If Vertical Synchronisation (VSync) is enabled, the rendering of the frames is synchronised with the monitor, avoiding horizontal tearing effects. The disadvantage is, that the framerate is limited to your monitor's refresh rate.

If the game doesn't use a triple buffer while VSync is used, the frame rate might drop noticeable during the gameplay. To avoid this, you can force a triple buffer for OpenGL games with this option.

It's not possible to force a triple buffer for Direct3D games, though. In Direct3D, games have to enable a triple buffer by themselves. Check the game options for this. Some games might even use a triple buffer by default.

_AH_Moggy

Yup, roger that.  That's what this DXTweaker is supposed to do:  force triple buffering in DirectX games.  I can see it potentially having a big difference in games like FSX, where anypossible increase in FPS (even if only 2 or 3) would be welcome.

I  might do some experimenting with it;  I did download it from:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1052

Info on it:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/articles/DXtweaker/

Moggy

_AH_Moggy

I tried the replacement .dll & setup.ini files, and I got lower FPS with some hitching.  But, that might be due to my settings, so everyone should try them themselves before deciding:

My settings used:

GAME SETTINGS:
Open GL
2048 x 1536 x 32
Stencil Buffer "on"
Video Options:  All maxed except clouds ("medium")

NVIDIA (8800 GTX) SETTINGS [Note:  SLI settings omitted]:
AF:  "Application"
AA Gamma Correction:  "on"
AA Mode:  "override App"
AA Setting:  4x
AA Transparency:  "Multi"
Conformant Texture Clamp:  "Hardware"
Error Reporting:  "off"
Extension Limit:  "off"
Force Mipmaps:  "none"
Stereo Display Mode:  "Vertical interlace monitor"
Texture Filtering -- Neg. LOD BIAS:  "allow"
Texture Filtering -- Quality:  "High Quality"
Threaded Optimization:  "Auto"
Triple Buffering:  "on"
Texture Filtering -- Anisotropic mip filter optimization:  "off"
V. Sync:  "on"

_AH_Rumely

Have been testing the new dll's also, find that my FPS are locked on 60 fps most of the time. The only drop I see is when I'm in the bomb site and approach a city and are changing over the ground resolution I.E. The buildings are coming in and drawing them self into the frame. Will drop to 20,15 and then after I'm right over the city and the frame is tight with the buildings the fps will rise back up to 50 to 60 fps. The old dll's will load the city faster then the new dll's

I have dun little testing with my new flat screen monitor..... is my fps locked to the screens refresh rate ? My old CRT would rise over 60 fps 80, 100 when looking at the sky.

NVIDIA (8800 GTX)
AF:  "Application" 8X
AA Gamma Correction:  "on"
AA Mode:  "override App"
AA Setting:  4x
AA Transparency:  off
Conformant Texture Clamp:  "Hardware"
Error Reporting:  "off"
Extension Limit:  "off"
Force Mipmaps:  "none"
Stereo Display Mode:  "Vertical interlace monitor"
Texture Filtering -- Neg. LOD BIAS:  "allow"
Texture Filtering -- Quality:  "High Quality"
Threaded Optimization:  "Auto"
Triple Buffering:  "on"
Texture Filtering -- Anisotropic mip filter optimization:  "off"
V. Sync:  "on

The game is set to perfect
1680 x 1050

_AH_Duff4r

Rumely,

Yes!  You have VSYNC on.  This is not a bad thing!  It syncs the video card to the monitor!  Many people wonder why, at times, they are shooting rubber bullets.  It because the video card and the monitor are NOT synced.  VSYNC is more, WYSIWYG = What you see is what you get.  I always run VSYNC on!  There is a slight draw-back.  When you're "synced" if the Refresh Rate of 60 CAN'T be maintained then they will drop in half.  You will notice during times of heavy traffic your FRs will drop from 60ish to 30.  Not a big deal!

Two things:
1.  If you FRs stay above 24 you'll be OK.  At 18 FPS you will start to "slide-show".  The human eye can see little difference between 18-82, give or take a bit.  Anything above 80's is just feel-good for the soul and the pocket book that bought the video card.

2.  Now then, some help.  Right-click on the desktop and select Properties, settings, advanced monitor.  Under monitor setting put a check mark in "Hide Modes the monitor can not display.  Now click the down arrow and select the highest visible refresh rate.  For MOST LCDs this will be 75, then 72.  Select either and apply.  The screen will change.  Click "yes" to keep the change.  You max FPS with VSYNC will now go to 75-ish.  If the frames can't render fast enough it will drop to half or 36 to 38.  This is still a nice increase from the 30 that resulted from a refresh rate of 60 halving to 30.

This WILL NOT harm your LCD in anyway!  TRY IT!!!

Finally, IL-2 1946 should be run in OpenGL not D3D.  Enable VSYNC and Triple Buffering in the Cards video options.  Triple buffering gives you an EXTRA frame that will take the place if a frame is not rendered, thus reducing the amount of halving that will occur!  Cool Hey?

More? just ask!

Regards,
Duff

_AH_Duff4r

One more thing! Monitor Drivers

Many think that installing the monitor driver is the thing to do.  Most times it isn't!  Plug-n-Play your monitor.  You may be surprised at the increase in performance!

D

_AH_DarkWolf

Why would a plug n play driver work better than the ones that came with the monitor?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Mutley

Plug n play works well with inflatable women...... :lol-053:

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Funny you should mention that, Duff4r.. when i got my new (to me) video card a couple months ago.. i did just that..

What i saw was.. monitor driver helps my frame rates from dropping as much when things get busy.. and a little better color.. but the monitor driver also gives me lower max frames on accounta  refresh rates  that aren't supported by my monitor are taken away from my choices.. and with Vsync on..which give me a much better picture than without it...max frames  don't go nearly as high. .. with monitor drivers.. i max out at about 100..but only when i look straight up. 

So i think it kinda depends on your individual set up.. i'm on a reasonably inexpensive crt monitor.. easy enough to uninstall and reinstall drivers thought so it really is worth a try.. 

good one, Duff4r. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Duff4r

Thanks BBQ,

If it's one thing I learned in years of tweaking the beast...mileage varies per your Rig.  You never know what you'll like until the test drive is over.  If I love playing IL-2, and I do, my passion lies around the corner with the next "TWEAK"!

It's a sad addiction.

:happy-112:

God forgive me I love computers.  I am an :idiot-0011:

Duff4r

_AH_Mutley

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!   ADDICTION TO COMPUTERS = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$    DARRRRRRRRRRRRR   :lol-029:

_AH_Olds

Duffr, do you know of a good free software DVD program? I know there is Power DVD and others, but was looking for a free one if there was one.

Thanks,

Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Duff4r

Not much into that on the computer but I have been told this is really good AVS Media

It is free so it can't be all bad!

I have used this in the past and it was good for what little I did! CLIPREX

Hope this gets ya going!

~S~
Duff