MK-48 Torrepedo

Started by _AH_Lippy, March 29, 2011, 04:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Lippy

Hope you find this enjoyable  :bomb-034:

Australian Torpedo Test

_AH_taldrg

~S~ I guess that the target ship had been stripped of anything useful and therefore sat light in the water which would have the torppedo set for shallow depth run which brings up my question. I did not see any wake in the water as this powerfull thing came in. Does it not have one??
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Lippy

~S~ TD good eye. The MK-48 torpedo is designed to run under the water and attack the ship from underneath. Torpedoes these days do not run into the hull. With ships designs for water tight integrity it is harder and harder to bring down a ship from a direct hit. I was on broad the USS Leahy, a guided missile cruiser it had 6 separate water tight compartments starting from bow to stern. So one torpedo hit even in the engine room wouldn't stop the cruiser. It had 2 separate engine rooms, and 2 boiler rooms. A hit will knock out the boilers, only for a  short time. So it is far more destructive to create a a void under the boat which cracks the hull, then the explosion comes up and and rips it in two. As seen through this video. The second question is yes the ship was stripped of fuel, oil and water, as well as electronics. The US has done test as this one shows and only electronics and oil,water fuel stripped.
Pretty cool hugh. :-) Mark