Wingman Trainging

Started by _AH_Viper, September 27, 2008, 02:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Viper

Well folks the much anticipated wingman training is about to commence.  The first thing that all the participants will need to do is: Set your enemy and friendly views up. So that there is no confusion as to what buttons to hit.  They should be automatic.  Second setup your flight sticks so you have the most stable platform possible to get good shots.  This may take some time to get right but well worth it.  It can be rather frustrating trying to hit your target with your plane bobbing all over the place.  There will be two nights setup for the training.  Hopefully it will only take 45-hour to get done.  It may take a little longer at first just to work the bugs out of the sorties.  We'll need at least Six pilots, two instructors and 2 trainees.  There will be separate comms.  per side so that there can be much more detailed comments per instructor between their pilots.  The instructors will collaborate before and after training.  The map will be in arcade so that the pilots can have a good Idea where their bullets are hitting etc.  Vulnerability will also be off.  The Instructors will be task to keep a running record of all participants with playback on.  The later sorties will involve ground pounding and eventually squad flight competition.   I will need a list of available seasoned veteran pilots wishing to be instructors.  Remember we need two per training.  The exact time will have to be determined so that everyone who wants to train will have ample time.  I will need a list of trainees so that I can get ATC field instructions and some two man tactics sent out.  One thing to keep in mind, keep the comms. very short.  there will be a brief description of this when the ATC field structions come to the individual.  So take as much time as you need to get those sticks setup for smoothness plus the buttons you set for enemy and friendly views.  This along will help you successfully get through the training.  I'm waiting for my Throttle controller to get here so I can get it setup.  See ya in the sky.

_AH_Moggy

S! Vipes:

Sign me up as a trainee!

Moggy

_AH_BBQhead

S~. i'm in.

cross thatch weave?

what the hell does that mean, wang?   <---- obscure movie quote 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Homicide

James Thatch's "Weave" By Long Duck Dong

Heres a failed weave..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NUUNx4AH3o

_AH_taldrg

~S~ A simple thing I learned from a good pilot was......you want to fly to a point where the enemy will be when you get there. Never climb up to a fight and only saddle up on his 6 if he does't know your there and most of all...NEVER fly alone.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_MOAB

How do you set your stick and controls for smoothness, that seems to be one of my problems when flying, landing or shooting to much jerking around.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. There are a couple of utilities that you some guys use, either IL2 wingman  or IL2 joy control..

OR you can launch the game click on hardware setup and then click input.

you can adjust the stick sensitivities there.  pitch, roll, and yaw each have their own set of sliders.

the slider furthest to the left affects the first 10 degrees of throw on your stick, the next slider affects the stick from 10 to 20 degrees of throw, and so on. 

It's a matter of trial and error finding  the settings that work for your rig. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_crash

Crash is in for a trainee position.
Moggy, what are you doing saying you're a trainee! Stand over there with the instructors, where you belong!

_AH_Duff4r

Duff4r is in...as a trainee

There is only one instructor I would care to have and that's....TD.  I think he should be the LEAD instructor.  I have attended several of his sessions in other squads that we have flown together in and he is a fountain of knowledge and a Whiz!!

If there is one thing lacking here at AH it's wingmanship.  S~ to Viper and others that recognized this and are providing the basis for this training.  It's a good thing that _AH doesn't do the Squad vs Squad thing as we might be last!  It takes two to tango! There are some excellent pilots and killers here at _AH, in fact, some of the best I have ever seen and I have been doing online Flight Combat since '96.  That said, if you don't know the difference between wingman tactics and a PJ sandwich....you lose!

A good wingman Stays with his lead and a good lead communicates well with his wingie.  It is not the job of the wingman to get the kills it is the job of the wingman to insure his Lead is not killed.  A wingman that returns w/o his lead is a failure.  In WWII you were a wingie until you had the knowledge to lead.  Leads taught their wingmen until they were qualified as lead.

A special <S> to -Bond-, my first virtual wingman and lead.  -Bond- I hope your skies are blue and your "6" is clear, wherever you fly this day.  Separately we were average pilots, together we were a brutal destructive force, a pair to be reckoned with.

I hope we all support this!

Nuff said,
Duff

_AH_Bong

I'm  in need some serious work as a wingman.
LT._AH_Bong
"Reserve" Flight
Aces High

_AH_Col._Hogan

Foxbat

S!
Viper I've been flying for awhile and I think I can help with this training. Maybe some comms training or in game views setup help or something like that. I also have some experiance from flying in wingman type competitions which would apply to some of the requests I've seen here. Anything I can do let me know.

_AH_taldrg

~S~ MOAB. When in a position to fire, either at air or ground targets, I was taught to never use rudder. Only ail-er-on(sp). Too much yawing and spraying. For what it's worth.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Moggy

Quote from: _AH_crash on September 28, 2008, 04:42:08 PM
Crash is in for a trainee position.
Moggy, what are you doing saying you're a trainee! Stand over there with the instructors, where you belong!

S! Crash, and thanks for the (quite) undeserved compliment.  But, in this case I'm afraid I have to differ.  I never practice fighter tactics, gunnery, maneuvers, or anything else.  On my very best day, I am at best an average fighter pilot.  I have a lot to learn from guys like Viper, Johnny, Foxbat, Gonzo, Skat, and DW as far as fighter tactics (well, re the latter he'd never reveal anything to me, so let's stick with the 1st five at least (wavey).  Those guys (along with quite a few others that I've not mentioned) are good fighter jocks.

Hence my volunteering for "trainee" status.  Again, bud:  thanks for the kind words, but I really doubt whether I'd have much to offer.

_AH_Viper