Solomon Campaign and Comms

Started by _AH_Hollywood, April 12, 2017, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_BBQhead

S~

I just set up a cross channel bind in vent - way easier than I thought it was going to be.  The only drawback is the extra PTT key flight leads would need - which is where Twenty's switch would be handy.  ORRR - you can use the same key  you always use and your channel and the other flight leads would all hear you. 
  It's super quick and easy to create the bind as long as you can spare a second key so substitute flight leads shouldn't be a problem like I was thinking in my previous post.  Should take less than a minute for a sub flight lead to set up a cross channel key/bind, even less time for the other flight leads to edit their bind to include him for the mission. 

There is an option to mute others on the channel  you broadcast to.. not sure if we want that or not. I'm going to flip a coin and post a how to for one way, and we can try it. If we don't like it, we'll try it the other way.

Here's a quick look at how to do it:  http://www.noobgalore.us/ng-public-ventrilo-server-61/tutorial-how-private-bind-vent-32572/
  The only thing we'll do differently  is select Voice Target instead of U2U.     Voice Target  allows multiple people to hear you across multiple channels.

EDIT: Might have to make sure flight leaders are set up with a password or are at least on comms when setting up voice targets.

I noticed when I was the only one on comms there was a list of several AH there,but not everyone.  I tried editing the guest user group to be able to set binds, but I don't know if it stuck. I tried editing individual users that are for some reason listed in vent even when you're not there, but when I did that Vent wanted passwords so I cancelled out of it.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Col._Hogan

QuoteAfter we attacked the 1st wave, Wilder and I scouted ahead and met up with the 2nd wave at the end of the waypoints... we tried staying high and let you all know but typing isn't a skill i have learned to combine with flying.. we both were taken out by the zeros in that group

You and Wilder scouted ahead alone?

_AH_Bear

We were high on them and perhaps should have tryed to stay away, but the zeros came up to us quickly.. we were forced to engage .. i remember i could see others we weren't in comms with close by but we couldn't communicate quick enuf, while i was trying to type i lost sight of the enemy, they gained advantage and I was killed, Wilder shortly after

_AH_Hollywood

Did KW get shot down? I have him as survived.  Maybe I need to review the track.

Awww... KW's I see you got hammered.... let me fix the scoring...

"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Here's a How 2 with screen shots  for setting up a bind to talk across channels in Vent. 

They're pretty quick and easy once you know the steps.  They're also easy to edit and delete. 

Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfepmpiyfk5n2da/How2Bind.doc?dl=0

If Vent is not showing you the options listed in the How2, it might be because you are not using a password to log onto vent. If you find this to be the case, let me know and we'll fix that.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Hollywood

I need to find the time to read BBQ's thread... in the meantime, is there a way to set up key that will move me to other channels?
I have CH stick, throttle etc.... lots of extra buttons... could I assign a button or key to move to from Aixs Blue to Allied Red etc...  Make sense?
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_Gator

I try it it  look  like you need a password for Ventrilo to get it holly! and yes you can used your button on your throttle are your joystick to switch over

_AH_Bear

Quote from: _AH_Hollywood on May 07, 2017, 07:07:27 PM

I need to find the time to read BBQ's thread... in the meantime, is there a way to set up key that will move me to other channels?
I have CH stick, throttle etc.... lots of extra buttons... could I assign a button or key to move to from Aixs Blue to Allied Red etc...  Make sense?

That would be great

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Yes there is a way to switch channels with the Bind feature. Start the same as in the how 2 set up binds  2 clicks, name the bind, click add and select switch channels, don't forget a button to get back to your original channel.. and about three more clicks.
  You'll just need a button for each channel you want to be able to move to.  Likewise with individual user binds, too.  That's why I was thinking Voice targets might work best.  each flight leader would add 1 button and that 1 button would broadcast  to all of the other flight leads. There's also a feature there that would allow muting of everyone else speaking on any channel you're broadcasting to when you broadcast to  a voice target. That way you wouldn't have to repeat yourself nearly as often.
   The binds are really easy and quick to set up. I'm talking less than a minute once you've done it a couple o times.   But they do require an extra button.  More if you would rather use channel switching or be able to speak to multiple people individually on different channels.

if we have time before or after the meeting i can show you how. Should take about 3 minutes since it'll be your first time - just like      nevermind   (tongue)   

_AH_Lippy

Are going employ this new bind setup for Tuesday Night guys I have not looked into yet but been reading and sounds like a good work around.

_AH_BBQhead

I was hoping to discuss it at the meeting but you're not there

_AH_Lippy

LOL thats what I get for coming here before loging into vent

_AH_BBQhead

S~

As it turns out, in order to  use Voice Targets we need to use  passwords. Without a password, it won't allow the rights.   I don't want to lock anyone out of Vent by setting passwords and sending emails and hoping they, or you, find the email before trying to log on.

If you want to email or message a password to me, I can set it and email you that it's done if you want.
  Hopefully I'll see most of you flight leader guys Monday night and we can  get you  set up. 
  There are other perks to having a Password, too. Unlimited duplicate connections, you might get to see the Message of the Day when it changes,  and you might even be able  to drag people to different channels.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

This is the current list of people that have accounts registered on Ventrilo:

_AH__Skattrash
_AH_Archie
_AH_BBQhead
_AH_Bear
_AH_Col_Hogan
_AH_DarkWolf
_AH_Jack
_AH_Olds
_AH_Turbo
_AH_Twenty
_AH_Hollywood
_AH_Gatlingun
_AH_Shrtaprch
_AH_Gator

Using a password will enable more features on Vent for you. So, if you're not on the list yet I'll be bugging you to set up a password. Just need to set it once, and then you won't even notice except for the new rights you'll have on Ventrilo. 

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_BBQhead on May 08, 2017, 02:22:08 PM
So, if you're not on the list yet I'll be bugging you...

Welcome to my world you unregistered buggers!

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill