Windows 7 beta

Started by _AH_Olds, August 15, 2009, 03:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

I saw that the Windows 7 beta is still available, up to August 20th. Does anyone know anything about the beta release? I thought about downloading it and trying it.

Thanks,

Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Twisted

I wouldn't touch a Microsoft beta O/S if you paid me to. They haven't got much right in the final releases outside XP Pro, 2000, and NT 4.0

_AH_Boosher

I've heard some pretty good things, to be honest. A good friend of mine runs it and has no problems, but we'd probably be better off waiting. They expressly say not to use it on your main machine in case something goes wrong.

_AH_taldrg

~S~ "...in case something goes wrong"...if it ain't broke don't start trying to fix it.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Olds

Yeah, Boosh, I saw that...I would have to have it set up for dual boot, and I would hate to have something go wrong. It was an interesting thought, though.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Rezak

~S~ to All
I have been using Win 7 RC Evaluation copy for a few months. No problen with anything. I installed games from 2002 or 2003-they run without problems. Sometimes Win 7 askes if I want to install software in "Compability Mod"- software that was released before Win Vista. I livie in two diffrent citiesand I had to put my old PC in one working segment.My  second slowerand and older PC is 3 years old . I did not want to buy second copy of Win XP and  I installed Win 7 which is free until summer 2010, or something like this.
If Your enemies  will not fear You, they will laugh at You!

_AH_Olds

Were you using the 32 or 64 bit version, and did you use it on your main machine, Rezak?

_AH_Boosher

That's good to hear Rezak. I'm considering actually buying the Ultimate edition 64 bit when it comes out because of the language support (I need Russian lang. in my PC). The problem for me with the RC is that starting in March the software will shut down your PC every two hours until you buy a new license. As a student possibly working on some big projects I really can't take that risk.

_AH_Rezak

~S~to ALL
I installed Win7 RC (RC stands for Release Candidate, not beta) on my second rig (3 years old parts that I put in one machine). My primare rig runs on Win XP. My Win7 is 32 bit. Last night I installed Jame's WWII Fighters-my first combat simulator. The game was released in 1997 or 98. I added same mods and works without problems(before or after Mods installation). Win7 will stpo working every 2 hours but after evaluation period in March 2010-

"The RC will expire June 1, 2010, and the bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on March 1, 2010. In both cases, you'll need to rebuild your test PC to replace the OS and reinstall all your programs and data."  -quotation from Microsoft side about Win7 RC

I do not know if You can install 32 bit software on 64 bit operation system?

_AH_Prop

I had the release client on my pc on a seperate partition (I screwed up with deleting a linux partition to make space and screwed up alot of stuff in doing so, my fault nothing to do with windows)

I really liked the fact you could install drivers for XP or Vista in it. I was running the 64 bit version, and had no issues installing 32 bit applications. Im looking forward to the final win7 release, I will definately replace XP with it, even though imo, XP at this point, is the best Microsoft operating system out there currently.

_AH_Rezak

~S~ to All
I would like to get Win7 64 bit version because 64 bit is able to accept 12 GB of RAM( If I am correct). Win7 32 bit can recognize only 3 GB of RAM.

_AH_Twisted

XP is a 32bit O/S and it recognizes up to 4 gig of RAM.

However Vista is a different story.

"The 32-bit editions of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business
, Enterprise and Ultimate, all support a maximum of 4 GB of RAM. The real variations come when we start looking at the 64-vit versions. On a system running x64 Vista Home Basic, you can add as much as 8 GB of RAM. x64 Vista Home Premium supports as far as 16 GB of RAM.

But it will take no less than 128 GB of RAM in order to satiate x64 Vista Business
, Enterprise and Ultimate. 128 GB of RAM is the maximum supported physical limit in the case of these three operating systems. "

_AH_Hornet

Hey all,
Now that Windows 7 is out, has anyone had luck using it? I'm considering upgrading soon but I don't want to do that yet if I can't fly!

Please let me know if anyone's had any experience with the final version of Windows 7.

_AH_Olds

I have the Windows 7 Release Candidate installed on a secondary hard drive, and have had only a few issues so far. I have Ventrilo installed, and it works fine, it recognizes all my hardware (MS FFB2, CH pedals, Saitek Throttle), but the FFB2 software won't install. I could probably still use the stick, just program in the button functions in the game. The other issue is with installing IL2. I installed the game from the disk, put in the no cd file, but when I went to patch to 4.08 m, it won't update. I'm sure there's a fix for this, or maybe just a bad file. Other than that, it looks good and runs smoothly, no glitches (other than that) so far. Can't wait to get it installed properly, and see how it runs.

_AH_Hornet