TF58 #3 Attack Plan

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, July 08, 2013, 09:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

S! chaps,

As you may or may not know, in the next TF58 mission we have been tasked with attacking the same airfield as we did in the previous mission. This time we'll be going in with a little bit different plan.

Now I don't know what flight will be filling what role. That will depend on what kind of numbers each flight has on mission night, therefore I've listed the flights as W/X/Y/Z. HQ flight might be operating independantly or might be attached to the other flights. All flights should be familiar with the overall plan and ready to fill any role.

First off, one of the lead pair of flights will be designated as the cover flight. In the event that we encounter signifigant enemy air opposition on the way to the target or over it as we arrive this flight will drop it's ordnance and engage them, giving the other flights a chance to concentrate on ground pounding.

Figure 1 : As we approach the target the flights will be arrayed like the four corners of a square. W and X flights comprise the decoy group flying at 8,000 to 10,000 feet. Y and Z flights will follow 3 to 3.5 clicks behind at about the same altitude, dropping to 4,000 to 5,000 feet a couple of grids from the target.

Figure 2 : W and X flights will overfly the target and position themselves about 1 click on the far side of the airfield from the direction which we approach it, taking evasive action throughout. This is the decoy element of the plan, the idea is to get all the AA guns firing in the direction of W and X flights who with altitude, speed and evasive action should be relatively safe. As the guns fire they will reveal their positions for Y and Z flights and will force the guns to have to turn 180 degrees to engage them as they make their first attack.

Y and Z flights will follow targeting AA positions on their first pass and will divide the target area into halves represented here by the red and green squares. Y takes the left half of the target, Z the right. These zones are in effect only for the first pass, after that hit anything that is shooting followed by any other viable targets. Once your ordnance is away climb up to provide high cover until the ground pounding is complete.

Figure 3 : Once Y and Z flights have made their first pass and are engaged with the target, W and X's decoy assignment is complete and they are free to descend and engage the target as well. By that point some of Y and Z will no doubt have expended their ordnance and be climbing but it will still be a congested target area so keep your eyes peeled. Once all ordnance is away all flights will group up and head home.

Feel free to ask any questions.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Col._Hogan

That's exactly what I was going to say...

S!

_AH_Autorotate

_AH_Jack

Weather will be a factor.  Weather is poor with heavy cloud cover; base at apx. 1200 ft.  Enemy fighters may be above the clouds & they may not.

JimDandy

Seems easy enough,   (6)

_AH_Lippy

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol   That's what they all say

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Jack on July 09, 2013, 12:18:05 AM
Weather will be a factor.  Weather is poor with heavy cloud cover; base at apx. 1200 ft.  Enemy fighters may be above the clouds & they may not.

Rgr, we might have to make some adjustments on the fly.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

VBF-12_Gosling

Sir, Gentlemen

Great plan in concept. May I advise please:

1.  In the heat of the moment we need to have simple plans. This is and that's it's beauty. So lets simplify some more:
1a. Attack Direction.  Make this down a Runway to clarify left and right zones.
1b. Initial Point (IP).  Have a point 20 to 30km from the target along the attack heading for a straight run in. This clarifies the dividing runway.

2.  Zones. For ground pounding keep to your zone always.
2a.  So W & Y stay left.
2b.  Maintain attack direction. So, W circles left as Y goes in to follow them. Reduced AA for W. No chance of midair. Y has ONE pass only. Then back up.

3.  Weather.  Use code words. Decide and call the plan BEFORE the IP.
3a.  Plan Sunlight = This 8,000/4,000ft Plan
3b.  Plan Treetops = This plan but at 1,000/500ft

4.  Sequencing. 
4a.  Y & Z Leaders call "Y's In Hot" and "Y's Off" etc.
4b.  W & X position for attack run on Y & Z In Hot calls.

5.  Recovery.
5a.  Return to IP ( or another nominated RV ) to form up for recovery. 
5b.  Drag bandits to this point to clear target and mass our force on the bandits.

Just a few thoughts.

Gos

JimDandy

I  think DW has a handle on it.  :thinking-008:

_AH_Lippy

Thanks Gos can always use simpler directions ~S~ Sir

_AH_taldrg

~S~
     Some very good points there Gos. Thanks for the input.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: VBF-12_Gosling on July 09, 2013, 12:29:54 PM
1.  In the heat of the moment we need to have simple plans. This is and that's it's beauty. So lets simplify some more:
1a. Attack Direction.  Make this down a Runway to clarify left and right zones.
1b. Initial Point (IP).  Have a point 20 to 30km from the target along the attack heading for a straight run in. This clarifies the dividing runway.

I'm not privy to our exact launch point, so I don't know from what direction we will approach the target. Nor the runway headings for that matter. So I think we'll just have the deal with the target as it's presented to us as we approach it along our waypoints.

2.  Zones. For ground pounding keep to your zone always.
2a.  So W & Y stay left.
2b.  Maintain attack direction. So, W circles left as Y goes in to follow them. Reduced AA for W. No chance of midair. Y has ONE pass only. Then back up.

We'll only be using the zones for the first pass made by Y and Z to ensure guys get spread out a bit and hopefully hit several different AA positions on that pass. I expect after the first pass guys will get kinda turned around and might have issues trying to stick to zones, thus after the first pass they will be free to attack at will. I realize this presents a danger of collisions but I weigh that against saturating any remaining defenses. Maintaining a constant attack direction is a good idea and something we've done before in our previous campaign.

3.  Weather.  Use code words. Decide and call the plan BEFORE the IP.
3a.  Plan Sunlight = This 8,000/4,000ft Plan
3b.  Plan Treetops = This plan but at 1,000/500ft

We'll make that call on the way to the target, in the event I'd probobly call out the specifics on altitudes anyways which makes the code words kinda superfluous. I may not even call specific altitudes, just "Bottom of the cloud base" or some such.

4.  Sequencing. 
4a.  Y & Z Leaders call "Y's In Hot" and "Y's Off" etc.
4b.  W & X position for attack run on Y & Z In Hot calls.

Again I'm counting on a certain amount of congestion over the target to split up AA fire, so we're not gonna have any flights holding off while others make runs. I suspect by the time the decoy flights swing around and are ready to engage some of Y and Z will have expended their ordnance (or have been shot down  :sad-056: ) and be climbing to provide cover.

5.  Recovery.
5a.  Return to IP ( or another nominated RV ) to form up for recovery. 
5b.  Drag bandits to this point to clear target and mass our force on the bandits.

We'll be doing this directly over the target, as guys expend their ord they will climb to provide high cover. Once all ord is gone we'll RTB as a group from there.

DW

_AH_DarkWolf

Couple of additions chaps.

Figure 4 - Low altitude contigency. If the weather forces us to operate at a much lower level, the decoy flight will NOT directly overfly the target at low level, but rather hook left/right around the target to take up their position on the opposite side. If we have to operate at low level this will mean greater risk for the decoys unfortunately.

Figure 5 - Direction of attack. All attacks shall be made from the original direction which we approach the target from. After you've made a run swing wide left or right and come back around from the original direction for your next run. This way we won't have guys comming in from the opposite direction or at a perpendicular angle to each other. There is still the risk of aircraft merging so keep your eyes peeled when making a run. You have the choice of left or right to take into account where there might be remaining AA around the target.

DW

_AH_Col._Hogan

That 2nd pic looks.......well......., looks like a movie I once saw..

S!

_AH_DarkWolf

Quit knocking my kindergarten like scribbling.

DW