U.I 1.0/1.1 question....

Started by _AH_Moby, June 23, 2009, 11:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moby

~S~ smart gentlemen of computer related knowledge and expertise in online gamimg!

Can I install U.I version 1.1 directly over 1.0 or do I have to uninstall version 1.0 first?

Mobes.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_Gonzo

lol, I'm no expert. Actually, I didn't just take the short bus to computer school, I drive it now!

Moby, I installed Ver1.1 right over Ver1.0 with no problems. No files lost, nothing I wanted overwritten. I would strongly suggest however that you make a back of your game before you install Ver1.1.

I had lots of eye candy mods in my Ver1.0 MODS folder and I found out that Ver1.1 adds these same eye candy mods combined with others and under a different name. After I updated, I put the old MODS folder up beside the new one and went through what I wanted and didn't. For testing purposes, I didn't delete anything but instead changed the folder name with a " - " in front of it to see how the game ran.

One thing the Ver1.1 does overwrite is the Presets and Samples folders (In the main "FILES" folder) which control the in game sounds that do not have an updated version within the MODS folder. This is easy to fix though. Just copy both the Presets and Samples folders back into the Files folder of your Ver1.1 install.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Gonzo;  You will NEVER know how I wish I knew what you are talking about on this 1.1...I have the thing all DLd and in a folder I made on my desktop. You said to 'backup my game' before doing anything. How do I "back up my game"?  I got to tell ya'...the golden years ain't what their cracked up to be.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Gonzo

LMAO TD... You're doing just fine bud!!

Adgusting things in a PC is just like sex. It's a lot more fun to do than to describe! It's a heck of a lot easier too!!

Ok TD, here's what you have to do:

1> High light the folder that you have IL-2 installed in.
2> Right ckick on it and a menu will pop up.
3> Select "Copy".
4> Now, the tricky part... I don't know how your hard disc is set up. If you have a partion or another hard disc, just "Paste" it in there.
5> If not, create a folder and name it IL2 Back Up or similar and then click "Paste" inside of that folder you've created.

If you have any problems, questions, or doubts don't worry, and more importantly, don't touch anything! You're not the first guy to get confused and you sure as heck won't be the last.

A whole bunch of us in the unit can walk you through backing up your game and installing the update on Ventrilo.

_AH_BBQhead

S~ All.. there's no need to rush to install this.. if you've got it downloaded, the install is pretty quick.. about 10-15 minutes.. at least for those that have the most basic computer skills.. if you can copy and paste, and attach files to emails.. you are skilled enough to get it done without a head ache.

i know you can do both of those things, TD..lol..  I might have time around 3 pm PDT today to help.. just depends on the work load. 

Agree with Gonzo if you're not sure, wait for help..

Sunday the 28th is when we'll expect all to have completed the installation.

so there's no rush. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Gonz:  I made a folder on my desktop and called it...IL2 Back-up...and copied game into that which took about 25 mins...so I guess I did it right. Also I have yet to DL #7 & 8 of 1.1.1 but I hope to have it all done by the your a dead man day of the 28th.

_AH_Gonzo

Good stuff TD, you're on par for the course so far.  (6)

_AH_Toccs

D/l'd the files, no prob, but during the install got "Corrupted installer files, blah  blah, something something". Re-downloaded all the installer files from Mirror 1, install ran fine.

Still exploring all the good stuff. Whew! That 190 Dora cockpit repaint has some neat canopy reflections.  Tempted to call in sick and stay home and play with the new stuff in the 1.1.

_AH_Moby

~S~!

Thanks for that good info Gonzo!  I got 1.1 DL'd and will play with it next week if I get some me time in between meetings whne I'm off and my shift work!

Thanks again!

Mobes.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_taldrg

~S~  WOW! am I ever having fun with my 1.1 DL. I had DLd 1-2-3-4- back in Oct. 2008 and had them in a folder. Soooo I DLd 5-6-7-8- into the same folder and mentioned to BBQ that the first 4 had blue text and the new 4 were black test. Bad news TD he said. You have to re-DL 1-2-3-4- so they are all from the same mirrow soooo I DLd 1-2- and half way through 3-4- the inter net shut down and I had to start over. Sooo after mid-night last night I finaly was done with all DLs.  R we havin' fun yet? O ya.

_AH_taldrg

~S~ UPDATE...will someone please shoot me. Dbl. clicked on DL-1. Pointed it to my game. Clicked 'Yes to all' and it started. Half way through up pops this..."Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation".  I don't have enough years left to DL a fresh copy.
I can't take it anymore...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. gonna check with Ring and see how his File copying to discs is coming along.. he was thinking he would send the DL files by mail to any one that was having trouble.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

I put 1.1 in last night, all seems well. I used the method of deleting the files and mods directories and putting 1.1 into my existing install. I got my copy from mirror #3 links. Bummer that peep are having corrupted installer errors.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

Foxbat

S~
I decided to put it in too same way DW did. Seems to run ok. I never did ask and excuse me if its
already posted but do we have to re install the Mig 15 Panther and Sea Hurricane the same as before
or is there now any easier way?
I don't see them in my mods folder anymore.

_AH_Twisted

I've not done the Mig Fox. However I've not had a lot of luck just doing the "normal" installs. I could be doing it wrong but most of the time I extract the plane folder then drop that into my mods folder, manually edit plane text files, and create the paint scheme folder for each plane.

As of ME ONLY, I've had issues with that buttons file a number of times so doing a manual install seems to work the best for me. I just read on AAA's website of which of the " .ini " files to alter if I'm unsure.

Keep in mind I haven't installed as many mods before as you guys have, so yeah I'm a bit dopey when it comes to that stuff  :lol-053:

I would highly SUGGEST making a back up of your game in case a mod install goes sideways.
~S~