BOB English Channel Map Target Photos

Started by _AH_Moggy, August 28, 2008, 11:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moggy

~S~ all:I've uploaded a first set of ATC target recon photos for the English Channel map (see "view downloads" section).  This set includes all R.A.F. airdromes. 

Simply place the "BOB" folder inside your ATC "Custom" folder.

We can use these photos for a quick 5-minute (or less) briefing session prior to bomb missions against England, so we don't have the same sort of confusion like we had last night.

Note that it will be the mission builders' responsibility to conduct the briefing, as only he will know which of the targets on the ground to designate as "priority" & so-mark them on the ATC map.  Note also that all maps are oriented north!

Future sets will include London, all ports, and radar installation sites.

Moggy

_AH_MOAB

_AH_taldrg

~S~                            Done
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Marius

S! I just hope you dont intend to suck all the fun out of this set of missions, as has been the case of the last few campaigns. I am interested in flying the English Channel Map, but not if it is with the settings for icons that are being used in the ongoing campaigns. I dont know how we have all been railroaded into using these settings, but once again it is happening.  I fly these missions to have fun, not to challenge myself. I get enough of that in real life. This is a game and I hope it will continue to be treated that way. The reason I joined AH is because it was not a full real squadron, and I hope it will continue along those lines.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Thanks for speakin up, Marius.. but how do ya really feel?  (6)
   I like the icons/labels out a bit further than a lot of the guys here, too.  the Euro campaign label settings were set at the beginning of the campaign and we've kept them static for the entire campaign.

the past week, i've seen labels averaging about 3k or so.. that's enemy labels..  the range or the color comes in about there.. some missions they were in tighter.. some times they are out as far as 7k.. 
  Friendlies usually another k or so further..   

i think we're getting a little better about  changing them more often.. we'll keep after it so that everyone gets missions that have settings they like.  i've been trying to promote the rcu file method of changing them.. .. it's starting to get some attention.. and should help...   

for optimum fun.. the labels distances really are dependent on the number of planes, the size of the map, and the length of the mission..  so it would be nice to be able to change them once we're in the mission and see what would be more likely to be the most fun for size and length of the mission that's loaded. .. which is what the rcu file lets us do.. change settings in the game without having to type the whole command in.. which looks something like mp_dotrange friendly type x.x range x.x .. etc  there are about 6 different disatnces for friendly, then it repeats for enemy.. it's a lot fo typing for a host.. and it's why once we're in a mission, we feel a bit stuck with the settings that were loaded .

i think the hosts have been pretty good about switching them up whenever they're asked.. personally i forget to ask a lot of the time, until i am in the mission and see that i can't see.....and once the mission is loaded..it's inconvenient to change, so i don't bother asking at that point.. 
  more variety is the key.. and maybe when deciding which distancess to use.. consider the size of the map, the weather, the # of planes.. there is no one  dotrange setting that's more 'realistic' than the others as far as i'm concerned.  we;re looking at a 2D screen playing a 3D game..  the extra visual cues offered in the game make up for the additional physical and visual cues one would have in real life.     

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Duff4r

IMHO,

The whole point of ICONs is fun!  Were it up to me...which it ain't! The icons for enemy would be off or at least set to what real life visibility and identification distances are.  Monitor size, resolution, and eye condition differences make this a tough mark to hit for everyone.  That said, friendly needs to be on and set further to aid in formations.  We are already a bit deficient in the "wingman" thing.  TrackIR really improves my ability to track a target or friendly.  I wish we could identify these distances and maintain them in all that we do.  Once you get used to looking for ICONs, removing them is like putting blinders on!

I have flown in a few Full-Real squads, FA_ for one.  It gets very tiresome and tedious looking for dots and navigating in-cockpit.  It would be different if we could "lean" or move around to see.  It would also be different if we always flew the same theater....we don't.  Moving from Hungary to Japan is like driving in another state.  Ya just don't know where anything is!

Good luck to us with this,
Duff

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

the problem is that after about a year of discussion, there is no agreement on what 'real life' visibility distances are.

AND.. the game doesn't render at real life visibility distances..

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Duff4r

Yeppers BBQ, I know that.  We just have to find the "happy medium".  If I had one comment I wish we could just find that happy medium and stay there, same ICONs for all that we do.

Ths constant adjusting helps no one.

If you fly the big massively multiplayer Online Sims, ie. Warbirds and Aces High, the arenas always have the same ICON ranges.  The cool part is you can chose what you see.  If I want to turn them off I can or limit them to plane etc I can.  Normal is full everything with specific dot ranges.  True, some of the special events like S3's use different ones locked.

S~

Duff

_AH_Col._Hogan

My fav has always been friend "on", foe "off".

If it doesn't have an icon, Kill It!

S!

_AH_taldrg

I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.