Maps available

Started by _AH_Twisted, March 21, 2009, 12:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Twisted

Hi everyone.

Since a few of us are running Unified installer 1.1 and most are using 1.0 thought I would show this. Also AAA only has 1.1 from their site now.

This is a screen shot of the maps I've got. Keep in mind I would have only installed maps that Archie had told me to when I installed the game. I'm really interested in seeing what map differences, if any, between the two installers.

I've highlighted the ones that are not in regular 4.09

_AH_DarkWolf

I'm running the 1.0 unified installer, the only additional map I've installed is the English Channel. Here's what the map list looks like.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Twisted

Thank you DW.

I've updated it so now the map below reflects the differences between unified installers 1.0 & 1.1

Anything marked in Yellow is a map that you didn't have listed in your game folder. I can't remember honestly if I downloaded any maps or not. I know Archie had me either look to see if I had one or two or actually installed them. If the only one you installed was the English Channel odds are it was included in 1.1 installer.

_AH_Twisted

The main reason for this comparison is I've been looking to possible start making some FnF and racing maps. Maybe later on a coop or two and didn't want to use a map that wasn't available to 1.0 or one(s) that the squad as a whole haven't installed.

Thank you again DW

~S~

_AH_Col._Hogan

I'm starting to see more and more 1.1 coops that I can't join due to map load error

S!

_AH_Twisted

I don't believe anyone making maps currently are using 1.1 Hogan, so please don't read anything into it.

~S~

_AH_Col._Hogan

Has anyone DL'ed just the maps and planes from 1.1?

_AH_Col._Hogan

No sir, not our guys. These were non member coops

S!

_AH_Duff4r

Ok gents,

FWIW, We ALL agreed to only install the UI 1.0 and keep it there. This is for online squad events only, obviously.  I have 3 other installs.  One is pure 4.08. Another is the 352nd_FG Unified installer (much much better that the AAA) and finally Ultr@Packs which is very very different and uses the JSGME software known to Silent Hunter IV gamers.

Above that, there is nothing wrong with Cockpit repaints, smokes, sounds as nothing is modified except the already present texture maps or sounds.  Same as plane skins.  We are not adding or subtracting anything.

Maps, again they don't effect the game UNTIL someone builds a map that the rest of the squad doesn't have and that map builder attempts to host or have hosted.

IMHO, BBQ or designee needs to approve all maps used for our Campaigns, FNF, and Racing to INSURE no one left behind.  Out side of that, "knock yourself out!

Hmmmmm... OK my opinion. You should be flying UI 1.0 and don't host maps for our events that are not approved by BBQ and installed by all of _AH.

Duff

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. Some of the guys have them , some don't.

Additional maps are can be installed individually.. the  two things to remember are  1.-if you build a mission on a map that we don't all have, we won't al be able to join it.  but if you need a map to join other coops, i don't see a problem with that..
2.- updated versions of maps could be trouble.  for example,  the slot map.. i believe we have the slot version 1.2.. doesn't seem like mixing that with 1.3, or whatever they're up to these days,  would be bug free...     

we decided when we took a look at the 1.1 that it wasn't worth having everyone downloading 2gb of stuff just to add a couple of maps, and a couple other things that we may or may not want. And that if there was a map that was worthwhile it could always be added.  I don't know of any problems being caused by having maps installed in your game that not every one has.. 

What we are trying to avoid is having guys come on line and be expected to have to DL and install something every time they sign on. some guys only fly once or twice every week or two.. so once we decide to add a map, or a plane.. or whatever it is.. expect a week or two delay from when we decide to go ahead with an addition to when we're all expected to have it.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Twisted

What BB said.

As for the whole reasoning of this post was.

#1. To find out what maps were in the version of unified installer I had ( 1.1 ) compared to what is standard the squad had ( 1.0 ).

#2.  As stated I was interested in building a few maps such as racing, and FnF maps and wanted to MAKE SURE I used a map that was in 1.0

#3. When I came back to the game after a 4 yr absence, I was informed to download 1.1, which I did. I don't believe unified installer 1.0 was even up on AAA's website at the time anyways.

This thread and its content was not started to implied or suggested ANYONE switch to U\I 1.1 , nor an way to worry anyone in any shape or form. It was only realistically just for my own personal information. I do hope in the future if I ask a question as such, squad mates please just take as a question. I wouldn't ask anyone to change things as such. I look at it as that is why we have leaders such as BBQ, Ring, DW, Jack, etc. I'm just a grunt  (wavey)

~S~

_AH_Duff4r

No argument here Twisted! That's NOT where I was heading. My points were not directly aimed at you.......

Again we have the problems of planes hovering, spawning wrong, even wrong map grids, and the very irritating "Transferring Mission Screens".

If UI 1.0 is no longer available maybe we best all upgrade to UI 1.1.

If new maps come out we should all get them.

The more our games vary the more problems seem to crop up!

I simply think it's very important that we all run the same IN OUR _AH ONLINE games sans skins and sounds.

It is my hope that when I post, squad members understand that I am trying to offer my best recommendations technically, not personally.

Apologies Twisted,
Duff

_AH_Twisted

Not a problem at all Duff ~S~

I'd leave that up to our great leaders in the bigger scheme of things.

I'm pretty ignorant when it came to all the "mods" things. When I last flew there weren't any around, so all this stuff is new to me. I can say however since coming back I've never enjoyed the game as much as I do now. Part of that is the game itself and how its evolved, but the bigger part is the squad and it's personal. AH is IMHO is in a class all its own.
The vast wealth of knowledge in all aspects just isn't found so easily, and I feel so at home here.

I've got a pretty thick skin, I just didn't want anyone to think I was trying to "point" anyone in a particular direction, and started to worry a thread like this was that. I rely on the directions set fourth by the squad leaders   :happy-119:

~S~

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

when we originally discussed 1.1, we decided that downloading 2GB in order to add a few maps and a hodgepodge of other eye candy type mods was too much trouble.. and  i am of the same opinion still. Even if we did switch, it wouldn't be long til some were adding even newer mods and we'd be right back where we are now. 

after however long it's been since we've gone to the unified install, i have given up on trying to keep all on the same page as far as keeping all of us with the same files.. there's always going to be a mix, no matter how much of a headache i give myself trying to keep every one consistent.   

it's obvious to me that it's just not going to happen..  for example.. the map grids showing differently for some.. that problem has been tracked down to the default map pack add on... i suspect it might be the same add on that's causing the spawn location problems on some maps hovering, spawning on top of another plane or further back than normal. ..but it's just a guess really..   Other guys just decide to run 1.1 on a whim..   and still others already have 1.1 installed when they join AH... these examples are not to place blame. the map pack add on, i OK'ed for one of our guys for testing.. but going by the number of people that get the wrong grid layout on some maps, more than one has it....it's useless to try and keep a list of do not use mods, there are too many.. and if one isn't on the list, some one's going to install it.    i'm just trying to clarify how unfixable the 'problem' is.  Best we can hope for is "most" have the same files.             

the majority of us are very good about it, which i appreciate, but again, there's just no way we all will ever have the same stuff installed .. it's never happened yet, that's just the way it is.     

we keep all the files needed for the  'AH' install available. they've been in the same place since we've started using them. they're in the Squadron add on links Board in the Forum. The only thing we don't make available are the installation discs.. we expect you to own a licensed copy of the game. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

The only time I've seen the spawning problem where guys spawn on top of eachother or way back from where they should be has been the slot maps. The slot maps are unaffected by the default map upgrade pack.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill