Misc Images

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, July 09, 2007, 03:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

Jerk bro Olds Jr. with the suspiciously strong wings.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_Lippy

Oh the abuse I dont know if I can handle it  :bomb-034:

_AH_Autorotate

Quote from: _AH_Lippy on August 29, 2013, 10:37:58 PM
The guys that film on those old carriers are located on a cat walk that would put them at just about shoulder hieght for most people (5 feet below the flight deck level I believe to be correct). He may not of even known he was filming the bomb bouncing on the deck untill it went boom. The zoom effect is probably some photo shop. Just my 2 cents worth.

the video online that gif comes from with US Navy narration said he was KIA.  (roll)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeRXre_FG1w

Following a brief upkeep period in Japan, Oriskany put to sea on 1 March 1953 for her fourth line period, Rear Admiral Robert F. Hickey, Commander, Carrier Division Five, embarked. The carrier began combat operations on 4 March 1953 with a small strike on a supply depot south of Wonsan. The next day Oriskany launched a major attack on Hungnam and a series of "heckler" and armed reconaissance runs along the east coast. On the 6th, the "props" turned to bombing depots, trenches and bunkers south of Wonsan and near Hamsong. In the middle of these strikes one F4U piloted by Lt. Edwin L. Kummer, VF-124, developed engine trouble shortly after take off. Aborting the mission, Kummer tried but was unable to jettison all his ordnance, as one 250-pound bomb "hung-up" on the bomb rack. Hung ordnance was an infrequent but not unusual problem at that time and Kummer was given permission to land. Unfortunately, as his Corsair hit the deck, the general purpose bomb broke loose, bounced up the flight deck and exploded over the No. 3 elevator, killing two sailors and wounding fourteen others.

One of the men killed was Photographer Airman Thomas L. McGraw, killed while filming landing operations, while the other was Aviation Electrician Airman Thomas M. Yeager, who died working on a tied down Panther. The explosion riddled the hangar deck below with shrapnel, piercing many of the parked aircraft and flooding the hangar bay with gasoline. Firefighting teams quickly extinguished the fire and isolated the hangar deck, preventing the fire from spreading into the ship. At the same time, Airman Richard D. Donovan - then serving as "hotsuit man" - ran through the flames, cut the unconscious pilot from his harness and pulled him to safety. Damage repair crews put the aircraft carrier back in business within hours and Oriskany began launching airstrikes again on 8 March, targeting railroad tracks, bridges and facilities.

_AH_Lippy

For some reason i cant search with Google it seems to be down :unhappy-059: I wonder if Donovan was recomended for the MOH, for saving the pilot. Flight deck is a dangerous place. The Stennis returned from ops in the war without a single fatality onboard ship or in the air, I cant seem to find the report that was typed up so i am uncertain of the time line, besides I am not supposed to talk about time lines, but for a carrier not to have lost a sailor is a big thing on a deployment. You can probably find it online released by a public affairs officer somewhere.

_AH_Autorotate

google... down.... :lol

_AH_Autorotate

_AH_Autorotate

http://warisstupid.tumblr.com/
lots of great shots on this website...

check your mixture!

look what i found joe!

_AH_Autorotate

do i post too many misc. images????  :happy-026:

ever wonder where you're drop tanks end up??

_AH_DarkWolf

That's a drop tank?? Seems huge.

Good plan posting that nazi P-38 while Hogan is gone....

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Autorotate

_AH_Lippy

I dont think so I love the images you find, I do wonder how much time you spend searching instead of working  :drinking61:

_AH_DarkWolf

Indeed. All in favor of changing his name to "AutoGoogleImageSearch"?

DW

JimDandy

Is that flak damage?  (wavey)

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   No. The damage accured during a mid-air collsion on a night mission.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.