Power Supply Woes...

Started by _AH_Autorotate, January 09, 2011, 03:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Autorotate

So I installed my new Nvidia GTX 580 gigantic brick video card, ran great for 1 week.. and today while playing a game (ArmA2) I heard this bang come from my computer so loud it was equivalent to a gunshot. The smell of burning rubber bands filled the room and my computer shut down... I think i taxed my 700 watt power supply too much. At least I hope so, and I hope it didn't fry anything else like my mother board. I'm also beyond strapped for cash at the moment thanks to my purchase of a new motorcycle.. A new more powerful power supply is going to run my 150+ so yeah. Maybe see you all in a few weeks unless a miracle happens. Anyway, just thought I'd report in. I've always had good luck with these things too, oh well bound to happen.  :help-sos-sos-29402: :help-sos-sos-29402: :help-sos-sos-29402: :help-sos-sos-29402:

_AH_DarkWolf

I had a PSU go that way too, BANG! Just hope it did'nt take anything else with it.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_z5o

Ouch!
I had a very wise man tell me once,"If you let the smoke out of something, It'll no longer work. " :thinking-008:
I've found this to be true,,,,for the most part.
Try to look at it this way Auto. Now you have an excuse to go buy a,bigger, better power supply. Plus,,,theres nothing that smells quite as good as        new electronic.
Hope you get it working dude.
S!
Z
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Twenty

I recently had two corsair 1000W power supplies smoke (back to back) I would stay away from them!

_AH_Autorotate

Quote from: _AH_Twenty on January 09, 2011, 10:36:49 PM
I recently had two corsair 1000W power supplies smoke (back to back) I would stay away from them!

Thats the one I just bought  (roll) (roll) (roll) (roll)
REALLLY... I saw nothing but good about them!
Voted best of 2010, all good reviews. Ut oh..   :help-sos-sos-29402: :help-sos-sos-29402:

_AH_Olds

Go with an Antec...have had good luck with them. Only one I had trouble with was because of a power surge. Just my 2 cents.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Jack

I've been running an Ultra 650W power supply for over a year now.  It's got a lifetime warranty.

_AH_Autorotate

i was running a 700w no-name brand one... that had a sticker on the side that said "MADE FOR PENTIUM IV"  :happy-026: :happy-026:
found what happened two, a small 10W capacitor blew right next to a heat dissipating bar, it popped the top of the capacitor and arched between it and the heat sink. left a bunch of burns in a spot thats hard to see but it must of been quite the arch, melted part of it. glad i actually found what happened now, eases my worries that i fried other stuff. I think it will be just a plug in the new one tomorrow and play type deal. fingers crossed though.

_AH_Autorotate