_AH_Racing League

Started by _AH_BBQhead, June 26, 2008, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Yea.. I've always done whatever I could to make racing as fun and as fair as possible. 

But, since that no longer seems to be satisfactory, I'm out of racing.     

any one that wants to step in and take on overseeing it.. I'll be more than happy to send you whatever race courses I have..

it was great fun , but I'm just too busy to spend the time needed.. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_gatlingun

~S~

BBQ please reconsider,racing is the most fun I have had on a Saturday night in many years. Don't let one inconsiderate remark get to you. I doubt anyone could do a better job than you have done.
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_Lippy

I will second that motion. I have enjoyed your judging and the tracks that you have picked as well the plane selections. I for one hope that you can see what you can do to stick around.

_AH_BBQhead

S~
My resigning from the race admin position is because my new work schedule is not leaving me the time required to properly do the job. Not because any one person voiced their opinion.  And it doesn't mean racing is cancelled.   

Maybe this explanation of why I was considering a scoring adjustment for this race will help create some understanding of why I suggested it.

I consider most of the guys that show up for racing on a regular basis to be above average at it.

And when I decide on a track and plane combination for a race, I think of it as a skills test. So I try to pair a plane and track that will be seen as an interesting challenge to those that like to race.

It's always been my belief that if a test is given to a any group people with above average skills, and a high percentage of them perform poorly on that test, then there's something wrong with the test.

So, after seeing the number of DQ's reported in the last race, my thinking was that I made a mistake pairing that plane with that track,  and wanted to try and correct my error by possibly adjusting the scores.

At the same time, I didn't want to act like a dictator and say.. here's the adjusted scoring, because I think it's better this way..So was going to ask all racers to vote on what they thought would be the most fair way to go about it.

The poll I was going to put up would have included at least two choices, and probably three -the first  of which would have been, No Adjustment.. 
  The second choice would have used a rule we've used before and everyone seemed think was fair..(you might remember a race from a few seasons ago) When several racers pulled up and out of the track short of the finish line.. We agreed to not DQ them, but place them behind all racers who didn't pull up. I don't recall exactly all of the position changes, but I think at least one racer went from a 6th or 7th place finish to a 3rd or 4th place.. and the three or four planes that pulled up early, were moved back in the finishing order by as many planes as there were behind them that did finish, and minused 2 points  from there.. seemed to be quite reasonable, and everyone was ok with it. And the guys that did finish without an infraction got their correct finishing positions and points..
   And I was thinking there might be a third option, which i hadn't worked out the details for as of yet.. but was thinking I might be able to figure out another way to correct my mistake.

That's all I wanted to do. Correct what I perceived as my mistake. I'd rather hear everyone's opinions, especially when it's something some one thinks is wrong, or unfair, so it can be addressed,  than have that person not say anything and stop participating.

Where it stands now, Archie has offered to take over as head racing admin.
  I'll be as available as I can be to help him settle into the racing office. Both Archie and Lippy have been helping me the past couple of seasons, so are plenty familiar with what to do. 
I'll still race if I'm not at work on Saturdays.. but sadly those might be few and far between for a while.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_gatlingun

~S~
BBQ

This is only my third racing season and I don't remember ever voicing a complaint. I always leave the scoring to whoever keeps track of the race and accept it as fair and honest. I can only speak for myself and I know I will try things in a race that I would not normally do simply because I am in competition with not only the course but other people as well. As far as this last race is concerned,I did have a couple of thoughts that I haven't shared with anyone. I felt that we had to fly too low for the speeds that we were flying and I wasn't sure which way to turn a couple of times but that's just the way it is,it is a challenge and we either accept it or we don't. As far as the scoring is concerned I will accept whatever is decided on. I just enjoy the challenge and the competition and the fellowship with all the guys. I am sure there are others that will keep the racing going and will do an excellent job but I think you have done a great job and have always been very fair and honest with the scoring. Anyway,that's my two cents.
_AH_Gatlingun

HA_50

TD even though I have tried to treat you with all of the respect due to you for what you have done with your life. I will comment on what is surely meant as an attack on me. Since I am the only not AH posting here. Your comment is as out of place as you saying the Japanese were due the tidal wave for the attacks in 1941. Dont worry I wont bother to fly or post here any longer. Please delete my profile asap.   And I still think it's absurd to change rules after the event.  I will allway's stand my ground...

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Ok, this is getting a bit out of hand. There's no reason for the uproar. 50 had a valid concern about the scoring, and simply stated his opinion. No one should be getting on him about having done so.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't the only one that thought  tinkering with the scoring after the fact wasn't the best idea. 
  I like to think the guys from AH that race were doing a wait and see what I come up with before saying they didn't like it, because they've known me longer, and trust that I would ask if any of the solutions I came up with are viable before saying "this is how it's gonna be", because that's what I've always done. 
  That's how we've always managed racing, by consensus. Each opinion counts equally - guests and members alike. And we have one person to make the final decision and then take the blame when things don't work. I volunteered, and  this situation is my doing, no one else's.

Had I realized sooner that my new work arrangement was interfering with my being able to stay on top of the races, all of this wouldn't be happening.
To everyone I sincerely apologize for the problems and the state of things this race season. You have no idea how badly I feel about what's happened knowing it's completely my fault, or maybe you do. At any rate, I'm doing what I can to rectify the problems I've caused. I understand your frustration with me and the situation I've created and feel like guys are taking their anger at me, and redirecting it at each other. So please understand that when I see negative comments here, it just reminds me that I've screwed things up, so it's not helping me, or helping in any way at all really. This will be sorted before the next race, and then hopefully we'll be able to put it behind us, and carry on.           
As stated in my previous post, Archie has generously taken over as the race admin, and things will be back to our normal, light hearted, let's just have fun and race the hell out of each other type of racing in short order.

I've deleted your profile as you requested, 50. But if you should change your mind, as far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to fly with us anytime.

_AH_Nimble

This whole snaffuuu... is absurd.....we were having a great racing season with other squads participating , the competition was excellent and we all were having great amounts of fun and thrills.  I truely dont know how or when this all started.... but I find that as adults .... mature adults... that we need to mellow out and resume as we were two weeks ago. I may not be the best racer here... or even a good one but Ive found that the combined comeradery was heart warming , great skins, great competition, great people...... that goes for CPS, HA.... all... AH...... so why let this grumbling ruin what we had???? WHY.... ya know if I finish last in the standings I would of still had alot of fun getting there and thats a fact.  Every week I plot how to beat lippy... and 50.... and ghostbear and fraggman.. and BBQ... oh yeah... and archie..srry arch.... and the enjoyment  is outstanding... the comradery......  this year we had the most participants ever.... so lets get on with it..... and TD.... you should race too... we all are part of the whole race season..and I know we can all get along just fine...so lets make the best season ever ....Comon guys  ...its up to US!! :surprised-in-shower-006: .... now Im headed to the shower.

_AH_BBQhead

S~   

Race 4 turned out to be a lot more difficult not only to fly, but to review also.   Sorry for the delay in scoring, and  the mess.   
As it turns out, try as I might to adjust the scoring , there was just no way I could come up with that worked.  We've made exceptions in the past for a specific heat, but trying to use that same kind of thing and apply it to all three heats just wasn't possible.   
I hope it was at least fun to fly it.. and at least there was a finisher for each heat. I seem to recall one heat in AH history that no one finished.  Anyone else remember that one?  I'm thinking Lippy might.   :surprised-027:   

Here's how Race 4  ended up:

****Race 4 Results****

*Heat 1*

CPS_Ghostbear ..15
HA_50 .......... 2
_AH_Archie ..... 2
_AH_Lippy ...... 2
_AH_Nimble ..... 2
HA_77 .......... 2
CPS_Greyfox..... 2
_AH_Olds ....... 2
CPS_Fraggman.... 2
CPS_Gatlingun .. 2

**Heat 2**

HA_50 ..........16
_AH_Archie .....13
CPS_Ghostbear .. 2
_AH_Lippy ...... 2
_AH_Nimble ..... 2
HA_77 .......... 2
CPS_Greyfox..... 2
_AH_Olds ....... 2
CPS_Fraggman.... 2
CPS_Gatlingun .. 2

***Heat 3***

_AH_Archie .....17
HA_50 .......... 2
_AH_Lippy ...... 2
_AH_Nimble ..... 2
HA_77 .......... 2
CPS_Greyfox..... 2
_AH_Olds ....... 2
CPS_Fraggman.... 2
CPS_Gatlingun .. 2
CPS_GHostbear .. 2

****Race 4 Results****

_AH_Archie .....32
HA_50 ..........20
CPS_Ghostbear ..19
_AH_Lippy ...... 7
_AH_Nimble ..... 7
HA_77 .......... 7
CPS_Greyfox..... 7
_AH_Olds ....... 7
CPS_Fraggman.... 7
CPS_Gatlingun .. 7

****Season Standings****

_AH_Archie .....127
CPS_Ghostbear ..119
HA_50 .......... 89
_AH_Lippy ...... 88
_AH_BBQ ........ 82
_AH_Nimble ..... 76
HA_77 .......... 53
_AH_Olds ....... 49
HA_57 .......... 45
CPS_Greyfox .... 34
CPS_Fraggman ... 30
_AH_Z5O ........ 26
_AH_Gatlingun .. 24
_AH_Taldrg ..... 21
HA_19 ..........  9
AH_Auto ........  8
_AH_Bear .......  8
CPS_Wadcutter ..  2   

Link to the next practice track was posted previously.. you might have to scroll back through a few  posts to get to it, but it's there.. Look for the TA 152(?) as the plane,  and Black Out Downs  for the course.  Should be lots less of a fiasticle than I made of the last one.  And, please welcome  Archie as this season's Racing Admin.

_AH_Nimble

Thanks BB....I know this is difficult to score and takes alot of  your time... I truely hope u will be able to join in the racing also...new job...new place... alot going on my friend, but I thank  you for your time and effort. The pillars track was definately difficult... may I suggest we revisit it later in the season to give us all a chance to redeem ourselves :happy-112:

_AH_Lippy

well speed dosn't always pay off. Thats two jets i fouled in. HUMMMM YES I remember BB lmao it was Archie fault he brought up the idea. BTW You scored right I was going to suggest the way we scored that LA-7 race 2 seasons ago but I UNDERSTAND :give-me-beer-0034: :lol :censored-015: (roll) :lol-034: :offtopic-929432: :sleep-058: :surprised-in-shower-006: :help-sos-sos-29402: :unhappy-059: (tongue) :surprised-027: :help2: I personally like the censored one !!!

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Gatlingun, I'll race when I can but my new work schedule seems to include a lot of evenings, especially Saturdays.

_AH_Lippy

BB would Sundays work for you, I dont think a single racer would hesitate to move racing to Sundays to have you in the races but me. YOUR Just to dam good  :happy-112: Besides we used to race just before FNF anyways. Just a thought

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Thanks, but I'm almost as likely to be working on Sundays as I am Saturdays so it probably wouldn't  help.

_AH_Archie

Here is the download for the race that will happen on 5-19.  "Pull my finger" is the name of the track that you want to download..

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=090668c36a71e615#cid=090668C36A71E615&id=90668C36A71E615%21108

We will be using the Mosquito B. MK. XVI

If anyone has a problem with the map or the download please let me know.

Arch

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.