Z's PC issues

Started by _AH_z5o, October 01, 2013, 06:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_z5o

:help2:
S! Gang, as Im sure you all know, Ive been trying to get a system up and running that will run IL2. So far, no luck.
I have been working on a Dell Percision 370. Its a P4 3.4Gig system with alittle room to grow. Its has a GForce 7200GS 256Mg DDR2 Video card.
Not much for memory though. And to top it off a 200 Gig SATA Hard Drive.. Theres the problem. I cant get Windows to detect it when Im trying to install it.
I know there some sort of software I need to run during setup, but, I dont know where or what it would be.
The drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 and Im installing Windows XP Home that Jack sent me. Can anyone help me out here.
S! Zulu
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Duff4r

You must FORMAT the drive for Winblows to see it. Yes it installs it and then can't see it! Sheesh!

Here ya go:

How to use Disk Management
To start Disk Management:

Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.
Find your new Drive!

Then: You MUST create at least one partition!

To create a new partition or logical drive on a basic disk:

In the Disk Management window, complete one of the following procedures, and then continue to step 2:
        To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.
        To create a new logical drive in an extended partition, right-click free space on an extended partition where you want to create the logical drive, and then click New Logical Drive.
    In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
    Click the type of partition that you want to create (either Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive), and then click Next.
    Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
    Decide whether to manually assign a drive letter, let the system automatically enumerate the drive, or do not assign a drive letter to the new partition or logical drive, and then click Next.
    Specify the formatting options you want to use by using one of the following procedures:
        If you do not want to format the partition, click Do not format this partition, and then click Next.
        If you want to format the partition, click Format this partition with the following settings, and then complete the following procedure in the Format dialog box:
            Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. This is an optional step.
            Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box.

You can change the disk allocation unit size, and then specify whether to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.
        Click Next.

Confirm that the options that selected are correct, and then click Finish.

The new partition or logical drive is created and appears in the appropriate basic disk in the Disk Management window. If you chose to format the volume in step 6, the format process now starts.

To format a partition, logical drive or basic volume:

In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to format (or reformat), and then click Format.
    In the Format dialog box, type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. This is an optional step.
    Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box. If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, specify whether you want to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.
    Click OK.
    Click OK when you are prompted to format the volume. The format process starts.

S! Duff

_AH_Lippy

I have a question duff. When formating with win 7 there is a way to reformat the hard drive but ya have to push a key during boot up i was told, I dont remember the key was it f7 or f8 I want a clean hard drive when i reformat. I could do it just as you have laid out as well. Thanks Bro

_AH_z5o

Thanks Duff for the reply. Most of which I understood, kinda, but could fallow. The problem is Im not sure if Im going to beable to do that or not. The drive already has Win7 on it, set up under the old users name. I dont have the password, so, its not of much use to me. The PC only has that one drive installed. If Im understanding this correctly, I have to have a system that is up and running to install this drive and set it up as the main harddrive running the OS. If you fallow me. Now if it was an IDE drive, I could work around that.. But, this is the 1st time Ive tryed to bring a SATA based system back from the junkheap. Also, it seems even if I can get it running. Im going to have to have a bigger power supply to run my big PNY card. Ill worry about that later when I get this thing running. Now this PC may run Vista. Which will see and install that Seagate drive. From what Ive been reading. XP,ME and even maybe Vista have this issue with installing the 7200.10 hard drive. But, once again, its talking alittle over my level of understanding right now. But, thanks for the info. Ive copied it and Im sure it will come in handy.  Good news though. I did get Vent and HP running on this older system. For what good it theyll do. Im still trying to get IL2 running on it. I think its just to much for this PC. Its more than out grown it. Its more like the 42y/o kid living in his moms basement type of out grown. Anyway. Ill figure it out. Itll take some time. But, atleast Ive got this old system to research it. Androids are nice, but, most sites are NOT Android friendly Im learning.
S!

_AH_Duff4r

Gents,

My pleasure, always!

Ok Z......

Here's what to do. Boot the machine and Get into the BIOS (usually press F8 continuously during boot). No go through the menus and find the 'boot order'. It will be, hard drive (HDD) first, then DVD/CD - Optical Drive, 2nd, and possibly Floppy drive, 3rd. CHANGE the order to 1st boot CD/DVD, 2nd boot doesn't really matter. Now, insert you Windows XP into the DVD/CD drive, close the tray :) and shut down the machine using the power switch. Re-start, you may get a message like 'Do you want to boot from the DVD/CD (might say Optical Drive) Press any key to continue. Press any key and you will boot off the DVD/CD (Optical Drive). You will get a message "Do you want to install Windows XP? Say Yes. It will then say Windows has detected a previous Windows Installation, Continue? Select Continue and then the reformat/installation will start. The format will ask how many logical drives you want. Select One (1). Remember, once you finish the install you will have to go back into the BIOS and swap the boot order back to HDD 1st then DVD/CD 2nd.

Don't take the step-by-step that I wrote as gospel. I'm writing this from recall as it's been a while since I reformatted and installed a system! You're getting the best this 64 year old 'kid' can do from what's left of his memory.

GL!

Lemme know!

If you need, email me at duff4r@cableone.net or....text me at 208-690-9053 and we can get on Vent. I may be able to help walk you through it. I will do what I can.

Duff

_AH_z5o

S~ Thanks Duff for the info. I finely figured out what was going on with it. The problem was in the BIOS. The PC has both IDE and SATA running on it. The BIOS was setup for "AUTO-Detect". I switched it to "Combine" which  SATA and PIC and bingo. It now would see the SATA Harddrvie during installation of XP. In short, I got XP to load. But, now some new issues. Id had to kill the onboard NIC. Coulsnt find what drivers it needed. So, back to the parts pile and in with a stand alone NIC. Works great. Now the Audio and Video are going to be a problem I think. The Audio in onboard and I dont have a clue what it is. The VIDEO is stand alone. ITs a GFroce 7200GS 256Mg card. I cant seem to find the drivers for it. Im hoping to upgrade the video to a much much bigger card I have but the power supply is going to be an issue as well. Its too small to run the card I have, but, I did get a gaming system power supply. Its a 450watt Thermaltake power supply. Ive got to come up with the SATA power cables that it didnt come with to get it to work. Anywho. THere it is. One step closer I think. If anyone can help me with the video driver for that card. That would be a big help. THanks Gang
S!
Z

_AH_DarkWolf

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-307.83-whql-driver.html

This appears to be the last driver made that supports the 7 series.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Olds

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_z5o

:happy-112: Videos working, disabled the onboard Audio and installed and old sound card I had, got it running. No flags in the Device Manager. so far, so good. Installing software  :surprised-041:

_AH_Olds

Alright! Great news!  :drinking-43:
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_z5o

Had a little set back gang, this PC Im trying to get running has some sort of thermal issue. Im not sure what exactly is getting hot and breaking down.. Waiting on more parts to hit the recycling centers. Lets go dumpster diving, its a hippie thing Skat, you wouldnt understand, jk  :lol

_AH_Lippy

What do you need Z i have a few old things laying around I think.

_AH_z5o

at this point Lippy, I have no ideal. Im not sure whats breaking down in this thing, but, thanks for offering

_AH_z5o

S! UPDATE:
WIndows Reg Code issue, FIXED WOOHOO. System is still real laggy and I mean laggy. Lippy you asked me what did I think this system needed,, memory. It currently has 512 Mg of DDR2 on board. I holding out   on getting any until I can get to the recycling centers around here and hit them up for some spear parts. XMas is right around the conner and that means alot of old systems hitting the curb. Ill have to get some gas and hit the richer neighborhoods in Lexington up. Those rich folk are silly there, they throw things away that there that work fine. I dont get them, I guess if youve got the cash to throw away.... Im not kidding. The day after XMas is a GREAT time to go for a ride. Youll never know what youll find. I know this might seem strange to folks that dont live on the fringe, but, you wouldn't be leave what peep throw away. What a waist. Any who, do what cha got to do to get by, thats what I say. Nnow as far as getting in to a game. Thats got me stumped. I got in to Turbos game with no problem, but, I couldnt get in to Jack nor Lippys. Something about wrong game version. Odd

_AH_Lippy

Cat explain the different version, I had history mod - carrier take off 5 - perfect map textures - fly by all on the left of the JSGME. I cant get into skats or Viper's game myself. But you spoke of ram are all three of your slots taken or is it just one card of 512 ddr2 I am at work and cant verify but I think I have a card of 512 ddr2 in my box of goodies and a bunch of old modeum cards. I can send the hole box if ya want it came from my p-2 266 and a AMD 450 PC ( my first pc I put together). I would be glad to send it free of charge. And I perfectly understand life bro. You are correct it is amazing what another mans trash can be another mans gold mine. We all do exactly what we have too, I was in the navy married at e-3 pay less than a 1000 a month living in san dog in 83. Rent those days was 575 a month and with a car payment of 225 a month that dosent leave much. I qualified for food stamps and used them, worked a second job as a rent a quard at theaters and ball games. Worked my @$$ of to make ends meet and still was haveing hamburger stew for dinner, going to the thrieft store to get close for the wife and IF and I MEAN IF I found something that fit me. So dont hold your head down at ALL. I am proud to know you. ~S~