Computer Issues

Started by _AH_Olds, November 10, 2014, 04:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

Apologies in advance for the long post. Still having some problems accessing my drive. I mentioned this in the sign in a few days ago. The drive stopped responding, and wouldn't boot. I moved it to Aniken's machine, and it did the same thing. I couldn't get it to do any more than run 10 minutes at a time before it was no longer recognized (the drive is spinning, even when it stops responding). I managed to get some files off of it, but was ready to buy a USB to SATA adapter to pull the files. It started working this morning, although I was not running the operating system, just accessing the files through another machine. I saved what I needed to on his drive, and ran a series of tests (Seagate 1TB hd, btw...used SeaTools for diagnostics).

Anyway, I ran the diagnostics, including the long generic test, and found no errors. I then did chkdsk, and it found 1 file that needed to be repaired. I did not find anything significant during an antivirus scan or a scan by Malwarebytes. I put the drive back in my machine, and it worked. Thought I had the problem fixed (it had ran since around 5 o:clock). I let it run, and left about 6:45.

I came back about 9, and found out it was not responding. It was saying it couldn't find any file I clicked on. I rebooted, and it started giving me black screens again (tell me it can't boot...insert boot media and hit any key). I tried several different things, including putting in the Windows 7 disk (said at first it couldn't find the drive, then later it said that the version of updater or something like that was not compatible with this version of windows...BS. I let it sit for about an hour, then was able to restart it for maybe a half hour, 45 minutes. I went to reboot and it looked like it was going to work, then it did the same thing again.  :unhappy-059:

I have ran every test I can think of. I did not find anything saying that the drive was bad. What would cause this? Is this a drive issue, or an OS issue, or both? I do have the files I need saved to a different drive, but its still pretty aggravating. :help-sos-sos-29402:

Note: I tried to restart again this morning. It had hung up on the loading screen last night. It tried to start system restore when I restarted, saying if it restarted, the problem was fixed. It did boot into Windows, and I tried to type this on my machine, but it froze before I could finish it (back to Aniken's computer to type this). I got a blue screen after that saying Kernel_Data_In Page_Repair. It restarted and went back to the black screen. I'd try a repair if it would run long enough to repair it.

Thanks,

Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_tomtom

Olds,

I am pretty sure that error is disk related to bad sectors or bad connections.  Sounds like some bad sectors.  I would go ahead and get that USB to sata since you have already tested on a different computer with the same results.  Personally I would replace the drive, however it sounds like if you pulled or backed up the files you needed just in case, then reinstalled windows, you maybe okay.

"Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat."

_AH_tomtom

Also, if your computer page file is modified like most people, try to turn it back to system managed or try to set a new file to a new location and reboot.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Sounds like a bad hard drive to me.  Mostly because it did the same thing when you moved it to another machine. 

If you've gotten all the data you need off of it, then you could try to format it and install your OS - if it were me, I'd probably skip that and go right to the new hard drive.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Olds

Thanks for the reply. I've considered getting another drive, but money is a bit tight right now. I do have another drive, but it currently has XP on the C partition. The other partitions on that drive have data on them. I can try to reinstall the OS on my current drive, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, would putting Windows 7 on the other drive's C partition work, without moving the files on the other partitions, or does it have to be all reformatted to Win 7? I'd need to find someplace else to put the files, because I'm out of space on my external drive.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_tomtom

Old's,

I have a few spare drives, what size are you looking for?  Does your computer use SATA or IDE?

_AH_Olds

I'm running a Seagate 1TB SATA hard drive.

_AH_tomtom

Well you are in luck, pm me your address and I will get it in the mail.

_AH_Olds

PM sent.

Question: If the drive is bad, why didn't the diagnostic tests find the problem? Should I have used the DOS version of Sea Tools instead, or did I not go far enough?

Thanks,

Olds

_AH_tomtom

Drive is on the way!  Hopefully will be there on Monday, 1 TB 6 Gb/s sata drive.

Hard to say what the real problem is, but it sounds like something with windows is messing it up, either bad MBR or something to that nature.  Since you did test on another computer with the same results, I am sure a reinstall would work, however, I am a firm believer in just replacing it when it gets to that point.  What I would do, is when you move all the data, reformat it and use it as a backup drive if you want.

_AH_Olds

Thank you so much! I'll reinstall on the new drive, and then reformat the other one. I'm going to run some more tests on it after it is reformatted, probably with the SeaTools for Dos this time. If it fails again, without anything on it, then I'll have the info I need to send it back to Seagate for another one.

Thanks again for the help in getting me back up and running!

Olds

_AH_DarkWolf

That tomtom is such a kind young man.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Olds

Tomtom, drive arrived today! Drive is brand new! I am nearly speechless...let me know what I owe you for this. I really appreciate this.

Yes, DW, that Tomtom is such a kind young man.

Thank you again,

Olds

_AH_tomtom

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Olds on November 13, 2014, 10:17:16 PM
Yes, DW, that Tomtom is such a kind young man.

Indeed, I especially like how he helps the elderly!  :surprised-027:

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill