Some Recent and Not so Recent Skins

Started by _AH_Gonzo, June 12, 2007, 07:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Gonzo

Moggy requested a custom Fleet Air Arm Corsair skin and here's the result:

Here's the first version using the FAA Corsair skin that comes with the game. I modified the wear and tear, shadowing, and detailing of the skin.

The colours looked a bit dull and a little off so I remade the skin using the FS colour date from Simmer Paint Shop. Here's the result. I think that while it's a little brighter the colours look much more realistic.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_DarkWolf

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Gonzo

Nice DW. What font are you using for the side numbers? They look a lot better than the RAF font that I'm using.

_AH_DarkWolf

It looks like you used the USAAF_Stencil font? I used RAF_WW2_851ATH for the numbers, bold. I usually use RAF_WW2_641ATH for letters. Both are at SimmersPaintShop.

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

Here's some 8th AF heavy bombers schemes I've been working on lately.

The first is an early B-17 scheme based on a/c of the 324th BS of the 91st BG, I really like the green blotches. This one is based alot on the Memphis Belle.

This one is a later war scheme with 100th BG markings.

This one is a G model with 381st BG markings.

This one is very similar, but with 91st BG markings.(Or the 918th if you like 12 O'Clock High)

This B-24 has the early style group markings, in this case the 487th BG.

Last is another B-24 with the later high vis group markings of the 467th BG. Alot of you guys have no doubt seen the Collings Foundation B-24 painted like Witchcraft. I really liked the look of that a/c and based it on that.

DW

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Did you notice that all the bombers have de-iceing boots but the fighters that fly top cover for them do not. Ever wonder why that is??  In fact, did you ever see de-iceing boots on any WWII fighters?

TD

I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_DarkWolf

Hmm....were they fast enough that friction created enough heat to stop ice from forming? Thats a wild guess on my part...

Tell us o kindly sage!

DW

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

i can answer all three questions .. no , no and no.   woo hoo!  what do i win?  :drinking61:

o yea.. nice looking planes, DW.  can i have a blueee one, please?

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Gonzo

Foxbat

S! I love the Witchcraft skin. I had the thrill of seeing that aircraft here in TX last spring.
Its currently painted like that but its a darker green and is glossy. I looked it over up close and was very impressed at how well its been maintained. Its like new. I talked to some of the crew while there and was blown away by how much money it takes to keep her flying. They were charging 400 bucks for a ride and even if they got 10 people to ride that day they still couldn't cover the fuel cost. Its going to be tuff to keep these awesome pieces of history flying in the years to come.

_AH_DarkWolf

I've been working on corsair skins a bunch lately and made an F4U-1A with VF-17 markings. It's the squadron who's exploits Dave's wednesday night missions have been following.

If anyone would like their own I can crank one out for ya. Just PM or e-mail me the details like side #, # of kill flags if any, red prop hub or no and regular blue and white national insignia or the ones with the red surround.

DW

_AH_BBQhead

S~..  they look really nice from here...

Dave should have one of those.. i think the color would really bring out the bloodshot in his eyes..  :surprised-041:

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

This week I did some work on a couple versions of the Hurricane. The first is a Battle of Britain Mk.I. I don't know why but I like the gynormous fuselage roundels and that eye catching black\sky underside.

The other is a Hurricane IID in a north african scheme.

DW

_AH_Col._Hogan

I've always loved that two toned underside. I think I heard somewhere that it was a Polish squad that flew that scheme??

S!

_AH_Gonzo

Nice skins as usual DW. The two tone underside side colours were used early in the war as an aircraft identification aid for AAA gunners. The scheme was dropped about mid way through the battle of Britain.