Spitfire model kit

Started by Foxbat, September 13, 2008, 07:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxbat

S! Thought I would post this for you model builders here. I have had this Spitfire kit for several years. Since we started to fly the MK1 I got inspired to dig it out. I plan on starting on it this winter. Pretty rare to find one in 1/24th scale with all the details it has. It was put out in the mid 70's. I remember seeing them on the shelf back then but never had the money for it lol. Still a big kid so I had to have it.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Sweet kit!

And I love the red shag carpet.....Oh Beeeehaivvve baby

S!

_AH_DarkWolf

1/24? Holy crapamoly. That thing has a wingspan nearly that of a 1/48 B-17. It seems 1/32 a/c have become very popular of late, you see alot of new kits in that scale.

What are the manufacturers on those kits?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

Foxbat

DW, The 1/24 kit was made by a company called MPC. They are not around anymore. The other kit is a Hasegawa 1/32 Spit Mk VI.
Once in awhile you can find these on ebay. MPC also made a P-51 D in the 1/24 scale. I have not been able to find that one though.

_AH_Viper

just make sure that you post the final project as winter has hit us.  Looking forward to all the excess glue.

_AH_Moggy

Back in my active building days, I always thought about building this kit 'cause of the scale.  I was very into super-super-detailing cockpits, basically building them completely from scratch, complete with  thinning the fuselage sides to make a little more room, adding the longerons, and every instrument / switch you could reasonably create.  But, in 1/48 scale you had to fudge some things.  With 1/24, you could build the real thing in scale.  It would look incredible done right.

Foxbat

S!
Yeah it will take a year or 2 to finish it. The most time you spend is mixing and testing airbrush colors.
Military models sometimes require several shades of the same color for weathering effects, etc if your
going for the frontline used look. I will probably start to research for some historical markings for
this plane and use only the lettering decals of the kit. Its always better to spray the insignias on to get
the right effect. Gotta make templates for that too. This particular kit is old. The plastic is brittle, its the old
school styrene stuff. I have had to use creative methods to remove some of the parts off the trees.

I used to build scale models  semi proffesionally in my younger days. Actually a kit I built for Monogram,
a 55 chevy nick named BADMAN and another called the Tombstone Express, the photos of my builds
were used on the side panel pictures of these releases. These kits were based on some of the
George Barris customs that were big at the time. Got alot of free stuff from Monogram but not much
money, lol. The way I got involved in it was a diarama I built which featured that Monogram B-17 kit
which was large scale. I built a complete scene with the bird down on one wheel and the ground crew in action.
Won some local contests with it and Monogram used it in some Mags. There wasn't a big future in it and
life took over so now I occasionally still like to do one. But its tedious and I have time limits.
Still a good way to get away from it all.

_AH_Moggy

Quote from: _AH_Foxbat on January 29, 2009, 05:02:56 AM
...The way I got involved in it was a diarama I built which featured that Monogram B-17 kit
which was large scale. I built a complete scene with the bird down on one wheel and the ground crew in action.  Won some local contests with it and Monogram used it in some Mags...

I remember that diorama!  The photos were in the Monogram 1/48 B-17G "Chow Hound" kit, right?  I remember the skid marks in the grass & bent props;  it looked great.  I built my B-17 in 91st BG livery, very heavily-weathered.  But, unfortunately the wing joints were apparently not strongly enough attached and the kit kind of broke down of its own accord after 7 years or so.  It was too complicated to fix and I had to end up trashing the whole thing.  Broke my heart.

Foxbat

S!
Yikes that does suck Moggs. As for my Diorama, well it met an untimely death at the hands of my younger cousins.
The thing was stored at my fathers in the attic for years. One day the relatives were visiting they needed some "toys"
to play with. Dad told em to look in the attic for some of my old stuff. Well, they found the B-17 and proceded to take
turns launching it off the roof of dads garage. Needless to say not much left. I was insane mad when I found out, lol.
Dad used to mention it for years afterword. I don't think he ever saw me get that upset before.
I still have a wing left of it somewhere around here. Was looking it over a few years back. I used alot of differant
techniques for the weathering and it had several layers. Untold amount of hours in it. I used real carbon from from
burning plastic to create the effect of some damage and and exhaust stains. Sealed it with with some special clear coat
which i made at the time. It was hard to get it just right and not look glossy. Fun times.

_AH_Duff4r

Foxbat

S!

Thats sweet. Someone obviously is very very dedicated lol.

DealnDave

S~ All

Quote from: _AH_Foxbat on January 31, 2009, 06:56:46 PM
S!

Thats sweet. Someone obviously is very very dedicated lol.

Rgrt Fox....according to the article it took him 10+ years to build.  WOW !!!!! :give-me-beer-0034: