Fortress Malta Campaign

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, November 11, 2015, 08:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Bear

I didnt see the warping but the view thing was there indeed..
Maybe if we dont fly straight out to the harbor but gain altitude over the island, is this what your suggesting DW?
~S~ Bear

_AH_Col._Hogan

HQ did that and it seemed to help.

S!

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Bear on December 31, 2015, 01:30:39 AM
Maybe if we dont fly straight out to the harbor but gain altitude over the island, is this what your suggesting DW?

What I'm saying is if you head directly towards the enemy, you will run into him faster. If it's a race for altitude the faster we meet the enemy, the less time we have to climb before doing so. By letting them come to us a little more, we gain a little more time and a few more angels.

Like if it takes you say 8 minutes to reach 20,000ft but by flying directly to the enemy you encounter them 7 minutes after takeoff you'll be in a worse position than if you meandered closer to the island while climbing and made contact with them 9 minutes after takeoff. 2 minutes could mean another 5,000ft in a Hurri.

I was actually amazed at the zoom climb the high 109s performed when they saw us. We'll have to be very wary of that going forward, they are cruising with alot of airspeed and can quickly add 3 or 4 thousand feet if they need it.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Jetdoc on January 03, 2016, 08:15:54 PM
well when are the spitfires coming :help2: :give-me-beer-0034:

For 2nd Squadron, mission after next.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

_AH_DarkWolf

I was doing some testing with the Spitfire, seeing how fast it will climb.  Using 70% fuel, 100% throttle and pitch +WEP with radiator six, maintaining about 110-115mph in the latter half of the climb gets you to angels 20 in a bit over 6 minutes. So about 1:30 faster than the Mk.II Hurries.

The official testing numbers for a Mk.Vc with +16lb boost is 6:15, so it seems right on. Though I don't beleive that was a tropicalised bird.

Hmm, just tried it with 100% fuel and radiator four, sticking to 120mph and got to 20k in the same amount of time. So it can probobly be improved upon with less fuel.

DW

_AH_Hollywood

QuoteI was doing some testing with the Spitfire, seeing how fast it will climb.  Using 70% fuel, 100% throttle and pitch +WEP with radiator six, maintaining about 110-115mph in the latter half of the climb gets you to angels 20 in a bit over 6 minutes. So about 1:30 faster than the Mk.II Hurries.

The official testing numbers for a Mk.Vc with +16lb boost is 6:15, so it seems right on. Though I don't beleive that was a tropicalised bird.

The version of IL-2 compare applicable to us states best climb speed is 160 mph.
At 160 mph and VSI at 4000 ft/min we could technically reach 20k in 5 mins.

I will do some time to climb testing this weekend and post again.
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_DarkWolf

160mph, hmm that's interesting. I gave it a quick try and it added about 10 seconds to 20k. That was with rad four, might be able to close that up even more with the faster speed. Wonder what the middle ground would yield, like a 140mph climb.

DW

_AH_Hollywood

I just did two trials using Malta practice map:

70% Fuel, Rad open to 6, 100% Throttle + WEP continuous, climb speed at 160mph = 5:52 minutes to 20,000 ft. No overheat
70% Fuel, Rad open to 4, 100% Throttle + WEP continuous, climb speed at 154mph = 5:42 minutes to 20,000 ft. No overheat

There appears to be an optimum window between 220 - 260 km/h ( approx 135-160 mph)
IL-2 Compare (in your game folder) shows 248mph as best climb speed, so... 154mph should yield the best climb rate.

"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_Hollywood

QuoteI want to know is can I run down jerry and kick his butt with out him running away like the coward he is   - JetDoc

Only with a good altitude advantage. The Bf-109 F's have an exceptional zoom climb,.... so more than ever.... altitude is life.

_AH_DarkWolf

Looking at the fuel capacity, I'm not sure how much you would want to chop the fuel back on the Spitfire. Going by the gauge, the Mk.II Hurri has about 55 gallons at 70% fuel, the Spit is right on 40 gallons at 70%.

Quote from: _AH_Hollywood on January 10, 2016, 04:05:00 PM
QuoteI want to know is can I run down jerry and kick his butt with out him running away like the coward he is   - JetDoc

Only with a good altitude advantage. The Bf-109 F's have an exceptional zoom climb,.... so more than ever.... altitude is life.

Yeah it really depends on the situation. In the horizontal their speed is really good but if you get them turning and they try to evade into the vertical it is possible to hang with them and even reel them in.

DW

_AH_DarkWolf

Just wanted to say again good job to the Squadron Leaders for taking the time and putting their heads together to coordinate things and look at ways the squadrons can improve how they work together. It's great that the S/Ls are keen to take that on, love to see that type of teamwork.

Just a heads up for the next mission, it won't be the usual scramble. We'll actually be flying some distance east to CAP an incoming convoy. I'll be changing the model of Hurricane Mk.IIc to the Hurribomber Mk.IIc, since that one has drop tank options.

DW

_AH_Bear

Thanks for the support DW... we needed to come up with a better plan and understanding and I think we had some good dialogue and resolved a few issues..keeping an eye on everybody is a big job but it made for more success in the end.
~S~ Bear

_AH_DarkWolf

As we were talking about at the meeting, this week is not the usual scramble but we will be flying out to cover an incoming convoy. They will be in the area of BS-7, marked in red on above map.

2nd and 3rd Squadrons have Spitfires, 1st and HQ will be in Hurricane Mk.IIcs. Actually the Hurricanes I have changed to the Hurribomber Mk.IIc as that version has drop tank options. It has a 2x44 gal combat tank and 2x90 gal ferry tank option. So both Spitfires and Hurricanes will have drop tanks available as it's a little bit of a hike out there.

Starting mission #9 we will be an all Spitfire force for the duration.

DW

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   Considering the distance to convoy do we know the speed and direction the convoy is traveling? I am not the lead I was just wondering.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.