Some Answers - all read

Started by _AH_Duff4r, January 21, 2010, 05:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

Quote from: on January 16, 2010, 01:35:18 AM

I fly for one of the largest...if not the largest IL-2 Squad.  We updated to UP 2.0

All-in-all conversion is going well with few problems and I am able to fix some problems easily.  Everyone is in awe of the DSM rearm/refuel/fix engine

They do have questions:

1.  It seems that we are able to have the host enable HSFX_Switcher, no other MODs, yet pilots can enter without it selected?  Doesn't this give us different FMs on some aircraft on the same server?

It looks like the Server you fly doesn't have checkruntime=2 enabled. And yes there are differences between some Flight Models between HSFX and UP. I assure you that UP's FMs with the latest patch are the most accurate, especially for some aircraft. When we will have the performance charts available you will be able to see why. If the Host enables the checkRuntim=2 the only people with the HSFX switch will be able to join.

2. HSFX again, I have a military pilot in my squad who was a bit upset with the Merlin engines (Hurricanes last evening) vs the 109's.  He is unsure if the Merlin is too hot or the 109's too dumb, or....if it was a result of the above, some with the HSFX_Switch on and some with it off.

It could be. Server should enforce crt=2 so everybody will fly with the same FMs.

3. Is there any reason to use Zuti 1.01 instead of 1.1?

If you update to the last UP 2.0m patch then MDS 1.11 is way better.

4. Is there any difference between the jsgmemods folder and the MODS folder?  Meaning is it preferable to import a MOD into the jsgmemods folder vs the MODs folder.

Big difference. To use a mod "a la MODS folder way of installation" you should put it in the MODS directory.
If you inspect the JSGME addons you will find out how the JSGME works. The JSGME simply copy and pasted the addons files in the Files folder while at thesame time backs up the replaced files so you can revert back when you deselect an addon.
Quote from: Dracon on January 16, 2010, 01:35:18 AM

5. Why is it that some MODS will not work when installed in the jsgmemods folder? example: fly_z_gamemap?

I explained above. To install a "mod" "ala UI way" use the MODS folder, not the jsgme one.

S~
Duff

_AH_Gonzo

Thanks for the update Duff4r.

The more I fly "our" version of the game, (I've kinda lost track on what to start calling it to be honest), the more differences I find in the flight models of the aircraft and the effectiveness of certain types off ammo and it's respective lethality. The majority of time I fly the game with nothing but eye candy turned on so I guess that makes the version that I'm flying the UP2.0 right?. Now I'm NOT saying any of it is wrong! I've never flown a WWII era aircraft and thankfully have never been on the receiving end of six .50 caliber guns, but here are some things I've noticed:

In general, top dive speeds of a lot of the aircraft in the game are lower than they used to be. Before, when in a dive, an aircraft would for the most part continue to accelerate until it started losing chunks. While this is still present in the game, you really have to push all of the aircraft now to get them to that speed.

Heavy caliber rounds, 30mm and above seem to fall much shorter than previously and the muzzle velocity seems to be slower. You can almost see them being lobbed towards a target. Leading with a cannon armed aircraft is now very different then before. You really have to think ahead!

Many aircraft seem to have better performance at higher altitudes than they used to. This may be due to different atmospheric  modeling rather than a change to aircraft performance but its become a factor to consider none the less. Aircraft that normally dominate at the higher levels simply have to go higher, much higher, in order to regain that advantage.

Aircraft seem to be easier to damage or, to put it another way, can take much less damage then they used to be able to before. It seems that even the lightest hit, does some serious damage to the engine, flight controls, or the pilot.

Stall characteristics of many aircraft have also changed. Some aircraft I've flown now seem harder to stall or spin, but when they do, the stall is more sudden and violent than before.

Torque is another factor that has changed. While any change to power setting or speed in an aircraft requires more trim adjustment to compensate, it feels like many engines create less torque than previously modeled in the game.

Now I cannot stress enough that I am no expert in WWII aircraft and what little I do know comes from books and the net. The above is also not meant to nit pick at the game, there's a whole ton of stuff in there that I really like. I simply wasn't ready or expecting the change in aircraft capability, or maybe better make that handling, that I have seen so far.

S~ and thanks Duff4r!

PS: Then again, I do tend to do most of my flying in the wee early hours of the morning. It could just be lack of sleep or incorrect caffeine dosage!

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_Viper

I'm with you Gonzo on how the Cannons seem to drop off in velocity etc.  I think there's a fix for that.  I'll get back to you when I find it.  The hits from enemy bullets do seem to effect the Aircraft more.  May be the AI and AH have a lot better shooters now.  But it still seems strange as to how readily the Aircraft become damaged. (roll) I do know that the AI are a lot more accurate in this game.  It could be that I'm doing a lot more flybys than watching my 6. :happy-016:

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Ditto the above re: guns.  That is what the tracers are for. Just a 1/2 sec. sqeese to see what lead is needed for gravity...wind...alt...all makes a diff. and I cannot see my tracers and waste a lot of ammo.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Zipzag

They do have questions:

1.  It seems that we are able to have the host enable HSFX_Switcher, no other MODs, yet pilots can enter without it selected?  Doesn't this give us different FMs on some aircraft on the same server?

It looks like the Server you fly doesn't have checkruntime=2 enabled. And yes there are differences between some Flight Models between HSFX and UP. I assure you that UP's FMs with the latest patch are the most accurate, especially for some aircraft. When we will have the performance charts available you will be able to see why. If the Host enables the checkRuntim=2 the only people with the HSFX switch will be able to join.

So how do you enable checkruntime=2 and CRT-2 ?

_AH_Prop

CRT 2 = checkruntime 2, you can enable it in you conf.ini. The hitch is, if someone is running a different O.S, they wont be able to connect. A guy on Win XP wont connect to a guy running Vista for example.

_AH_Duff4r

Quote from: _AH_Prop on January 22, 2010, 01:35:09 AM
CRT 2 = checkruntime 2, you can enable it in you conf.ini. The hitch is, if someone is running a different O.S, they wont be able to connect. A guy on Win XP wont connect to a guy running Vista for example.

This needs to be TESTED so we're totally sure.

Thanks, Passing this along!
Duff

_AH_Zipzag

Quote from: _AH_Prop on January 22, 2010, 01:35:09 AM

I looked in there first before I asked didnt see it, ill look again , thanks

_AH_Zipzag

Ok , everyone has to get XP-Pro ..........  :surprised-027:

_AH_Gonzo

Quote~S~ Ditto the above re: guns.  That is what the tracers are for. Just a 1/2 sec. sqeese to see what lead is needed for gravity...wind...alt...all makes a diff. and I cannot see my tracers and waste a lot of ammo.

TD

I agree with TD. Not being able to see tracers like before makes aiming a heck of a lot tougher and tail chasing deadly. While you're busy trying to make your shots connect, buddy's AI wingman is lurking somewhere behind you...

QuoteCRT 2 = checkruntime 2, you can enable it in you conf.ini. The hitch is, if someone is running a different O.S, they wont be able to connect. A guy on Win XP wont connect to a guy running Vista for example.

Prop

Oh oh...

QuoteOk , everyone has to get XP-Pro .......... 

Zipzag

Lol...

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_Duff4r

checkRuntime=2

[NET]
speed=8000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=15
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=Dracon's War
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0
checkTimeSpeedDifferense=0.20
checkTimeSpeedInterval=17
remoteHost_000=mag13.servegame.org:21050
remoteHost_001=
checkRuntime=2 <====

S~

_AH_Prop

I was mistaken, CRT-2 doesnt refuse connections with different O.S's, CRT-3 does. Mybad! :idiot-0011:

*edit* I may be notsomuch of an idiot........

OK found the answer in the 4.08 readme:
The server can now check for changes on the client-side game modules, i.e. ensure the modules were not modified. To enable the check, a new key was added to the conf.ini file.

In order to set the client-side verification parameters you will need to manually edit the conf.ini file located in your main game folder before launching the game. Open the file with a text editor, find the [NET] section and in the checkRuntime = line write in either 0 or 1 (or 2), then save the file. If the checkRuntime = line does not exist in your conf.ini file, add it to the end of the [NET] section.

checkRuntime=0-no check is made (default);
checkRuntime=1-quick check;
checkRuntime=2-comprehensive check.

NOTE: during the comprehensive check, if the client runs a different OS version from the client, the check may identify the OS differences as changes in game modules.

This is what I dug up in the IL2 Community help forum.  :give-me-beer-0034:

_AH_Duff4r

There is a rumor in the squad that CRT=2 is NOT compatible across OS's.  Since this is WRONG, what else could be causing them connect issues?
S~

Answer:
{Quote}
People that have problems connecting they should use this restoration Patch:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hzkmyynztw2

Their problem is that some files on their side differ from server's side, or they have didn't rename their MODS folder to -MODS or to something else.
{End Quote}

Let's TEST this......

Regards,
Duff

_AH_Prop

Duff, the quote I posted came off of the readme of the stock 4.08 game, straight from the horses mouth. The readme clearly states.

"NOTE: during the comprehensive check, if the client runs a different OS version from the client, the check may identify the OS differences as changes in game modules."

That could be a source of some connectivity issues, unless the modding community managed to figure out a way to work around that. Just my .02$ sir

_AH_Duff4r

Nice for 4.08...

We're running 4.09 and...yes the CRT=2 has been redone.  I was in on that Beta Test.

S~
Duff