Ask _AH_Duff4r!

Started by _AH_Raider, January 18, 2008, 03:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Raider

Since I had to reinstall the game I have some old pains back.  Someone helped me to silent the madness before and I didn't commit it to memory.

1) AI Chat (we have enough chatting going on already)

2) AI Text ( I was able to limit this to two lines instead of the default.)

S~ and Thanks

_AH_Duff4r

Here ya go Raider...

Open you conf.ini as per Spardog and under [game] settings make it look like this:

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=0
mapPadX=0.66875
mapPadY=-0.046875
viewSet=32
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=1
SubTitlesLines=2  <========You must add this line You can copy this!
NoChatter=1        <========Here's the other one you were asking about
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1
ClearCache=1

S!
Duff

_AH_Raider

S! Spar and Duff4r  That was it!

_AH_Moggy

~S~ all. 

(Duff4r:  If you object to this proposal please let me know;  I apologize in advance if it does, but the reason I thought of it was that your overall knowledge of hardware has impressed me the most over the years, and you've been the most helpful in that regard to me at least.  Anyway, I don't mean to burden you with a possible overload, getting tons of questions each day.  So, just let me and/or BBQ know and I'll delete this post -- and won't take offense).

_AH_Moggy

OK, just in case this thread survives, I'll post an actual question:

I'm thinking of upgrading from a quad GeForce 7950 GTX (SLI) to 2x GeForce 8800 GTX's (SLI).  (No, not for this game).

Current specs:
1.  MB:  ASUS P5N32 SLI Deluxe
2.  Processor:  Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93 GHz
3.  Chipset:  nVidia nForce 4 SLI x 16
4.  RAM:  2 GB Corsair DDR 2 (2x 1024)

and for the important question:

5.  PSU:  Silverstone 850W Zeus

My question is this:  Do you think that PSU has enough juice to run the two 8800 GTX's in SLI?  Reason I ask is that I've heard different opinions on this, and that the GTX's need 1,000W PSU's.

Moggy

_AH_tomtom

S!! Well I am running two 8800 GTX's with a 950W (ThermalTake) and all seems to work flawlessly, I can get about 70-120 FPS with FSX.

"Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat."

_AH_Rumely

"Man" I think you will need a nuclear reactor in the backyard to run that baby ! I have a system running a GTX 8800 with a 700 W OZ power back with no trouble at all. That is going to be one killer machine. 

_AH_Duff4r

Hiyas!

Just back from Boise and my Brother-in-Laws 65 Birthday Party!

Moggy and the _AH Squad,

I am honored that you think so highly of my recommendations.  I will be glad to take this on and will do my level best to provide needed and logical advice.

Thanks guys!  :cool:

Moggy, to start things off, here is the best place for you to start and as an answer to your questions: Power Supply Calculator

Moggy here's more: NVIDIA Recommended PSU's  I think you've made an excellent choice and I think in actuality the 8800GTX draws more like 240-300 watts MAX.  Some early reports were ahhh a bit overrated! Remember....Power=Volts x Amps so...12v x 20a = 240 Watts.  That's a TON.  My whole rig draws 405 watts with a 6750 Core-Duo Conroe and a 8800 GT 512 SC (Super Clocked).

Note ==> On the lighter side Power is just like fuel....You never have too much unless You're ON FIRE  :surprised-in-shower-006:

Enjoy!  that's some kinda ride your building!

Duff

_AH_Moggy

Thanks for the links, professor!  I was aware of the SLI-zone nVidia recommendation, but hadn't seen the calculator site.  Very helpful!

_AH_Moggy

S! Duff4r:

Question for today:
I'm going to add a couple of 80mm fans to the case side for the video cards, and they'll connect directly to the MB.  But, I have one PCI slot left and was thinking of adding a PCI fan above the two SLI video cards.  But, all the models I've seen have 4-pin Molex connectors.  On my rig, I only have a single 6-pin connector left un-used.  I haven't seen any male-to-female 6-pin adapters out there.  I have seen 4-pin to 6-pin PCI adapters, but the 6-pin part is male (the same as my last-remaining pin).  Any ideas?

Thanks, as always!

Moggy

_AH_BBQhead

S~. I have always seen the fans added with a splitter for the four pin.. essentially making  one four pin connector from the power supply go to both, a fan and another device..usually one of the optic drives (CD/DVD). 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Duff4r

I agree with BBQ.  That would be an efficient way to deal with this.

If you don't add a PCI slot fan, do remove the "blank".  Again, remember the 8800 series runs hotter and is capable of handling the heat.  80C+ is really not a problem.

Your call, but the case side fan you're adding should be blowing in on the cards.  I am betting 1 80mm properly placed will be plenty.  You could also up that to a 92mm.

Moggy, noise may be a problem with two side fans.  Regardless, 1 or 2 fans, you could fashion a gasket from an old inner-tube placed between the fan/s and the case side to help muffle vibration sounds.

S~
Duff

_AH_Duff4r

Hiyas,

For all the NV guys with XP 32 bit.....here's an excellent driver out there for your NVIDIA cards:

NV 174.12

Enjoy!

Duff

_AH_Duff4r

There are some new dll's out which improve both performance and Image Quality in IL-2 1946.

As always it is advised to BACKUP your old ones!

The files replaced are all in the IL-2 1946 Main Folder and are:

il2_core.dll
il2_corep4.dll
il2setup.ini

Download them from my site here: New dll's

Try 'em!

Duff

_AH_Olds

Are these dll's specifically for nvidia, or will they work with ati also?
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman