Other squadron level mods

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, July 07, 2008, 10:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Jack

Hogan, send me your address.  I'll send you a copy of the 1946 install disk, as well as the no CD file and the 4.08m patch.  It's been tested and works.

_AH_Boosher

Just something I thought the squad might be interested in....

the same people had also been working on several new Marks of the Beaufighter and a Japanese "Gekko."

_AH_Moggy

S! Boosher:

Is that Devastator a payware add-on?  Where do we get it?

_AH_DarkWolf

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Moggy

Rgr that.  AI-only.  Well, for a day I had my hopes up...

_AH_DarkWolf

I think the plan is to make it flyable, it just needs cockpits and what not else.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Boosher

Also - The Slot version 1.2 is now out. I suggest we consider whether or not to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1, then to 1.2, as it fixes some bugs in terrain and weather.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. we can talk about it at the meeting this sunday.. .. have any of our regular testers tried any of the new versions  of the slot map  in their test folders yet?

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Boosher

Another one - this one I ABSOLUTELY think we should adopt. The U-2VS/U-2UT/Po-2 mod not only allows us to fly the U-2VS, like we can in game, but also gives it its own cockpit and uses the D3A Val's gunner to give us the gunner position. Since we already have the U-2VS as flyable in the 9.3 sound mod, I think it would be good to complete the aircraft. It also opens up a whole new series of possibilities for missions, including direct MG fire support for infantry at the front lines with the rear gunner.

I've been doing some testing of it, and I think it's great as is, though there are a few snags -
1. Pilot is a little too high in cockpit, leading to the same clipping of the top wing that we see currently with the I-16 pit.
2. Compass doesn't work, but so long as we have the speedbar heading, we should be okay.
3. Mixture and Throttle levers aren't animated, though this isn't terribly important to me. The stick and pedals move fine.
4. Adds a landing light to the left wing.

The U-2UT is a trainer version, and has two flying cockpits, though I don't think it works in multiplayer. Still, it's fun to fly around in the trainer. The link to the thread at AAA is here, and the direct link to the download is here.

Testers, try it out. I, for one, vote adopt!

_AH_Moggy

CRIKEY!

Normally I'd say "you've got to be kidding!" (while ROTFL).  But, you have to admit, Boosh has passion for this thing.  I like passion.  Thus, I'll jump onboard (and will probably be the only one here).  Hell, if someone here's got that much feeling for an aspect (or plane, or whatever) of this game, I say let's give him a chance. 

I'm in.

Moggy 

_AH_BBQhead

S~.  we'll need more input.. but  isn't the U2Vs the plane that can't be shot down if there is a live pilot in it unless you shoot the pilot?  or did i misunderstand that when i heard it?   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Boosher

Actually BBQ, it's the same whether it's an AI pilot or a human pilot, and it's only if you're using light MG's - .303's, etc... .50 cals and 12.7's take them out fine as do other higher caliber weapons. Provided you're a decent shot, the .303's do just fine.

There is no change in the flight model. What this does is give the plane its own cockpit and adds the gunner as a slottable position - using the D3A gunner. IF you want, and this would solely be for single-player, not online, there is a separate file which gets rid of the gunner completely and makes it a trainer aircraft. I'll just reiterate below -

There is NO flight model change, no damage model change. The plane gets its own cockpit which is much more akin to the one it actually had, and adds the gunner slot.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. ok.. thanks, Boosher.. i was thinkin it was one of those mod glitches.   

_AH_Boosher

Just poking my head in to give an update:

There is a new version of the Spitfire Mk.I with some changes.

Also, the Silverplate B-29 (entirely new aircraft w/ new FM, so it does not affect MP) is now available for download. For those who do not know, the Silverplate modification was what the USAAF used to create a heavy bomber capable of carrying an atomic warhead. The plane, of course, has the necessary armaments of both Fat Man and Little Boy. I highly recommend you don't release them from anything below 6000 meters.

_AH_Moggy

~S~ all:Is there a way to download and install the TBF mod without having to install the entire initial bomber mod that it came out with?  I couldn't find a separate download on the AAA site.