ATI sucks!

Started by _AH_Twisted, October 14, 2009, 12:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Twisted

~S~ Everyone.

I've always had Nvidia based video cards. However early last year my 6800GT card finally gave up the struggle.
Force to get another card I wound up buying one of the cheaper cards I could afford at the particular time. I wound up purchasing a Sapphire X1650 Pro AGP card. My brother has always been an ATI fan although ironically he's currently using and Nvidia one  :thinking-008:

Anyways I've been having a fair bit of frame rate issues since going to UI 1.1. When I used to fly off line, when I was bored and before joining AH, I would see an avg of 50 fps on standard maps. When I installed UI 1.1 my fps avg dropped to like 15-20 on a good day, with many maps giving me 10-12 avg.

BBQ has been graciously trying to help me figure this out. We've tried adjusting the IL2set.exe file, various normal settings in the Catalyst Control Center (which sucks), and different drivers. Much new drivers seemed to cause issues with the start up splash screen, give me non-gaming studders and short hangs even when browsing my PC to mention a few.

Last night Rgaa, Olds, and Viper who've had experiences with ATI cards mentioned many issues cause by the C.C.C. (Catalyst Control Center) alone. Rgaa mentioned about removing it along with the bundled driver and installing Riva Tuner and a stand alone driver. Well guys while I'm not computer stupid I'm also not that savvy either. I really despise messing with my system installing this, removing, installing something else, etc etc. After some online research I found some games just don't get along with the CCC at all. I found an option to disable it when running a 3D application (gaming). Wow did that make a HUGE difference.
Below is a screen shot after 3 laps of the up coming Race. To give you an idea how much better that is as compared to what I've gotten before. My best avg fps was 41 with a low of 7. Even when I looked straight up I would only see like 66-75. As you can see it is quite an improvement.

You know I shouldn't have to go through so much BS just to get what is suppose to be a decent video card, give me decent fps. I'm not asking for an avg of 80 like many of you get. I'd be happy with 40 just as long as my lows aren't slide shows of 7-11  :unhappy-059:
ATI just simply sucks arse.

_AH_Prop

If I recall correctly, IL2 runs best on CAT 7.11 for the older ATI cards.

Also, If you have V-Synch enabled, your max fps will only go as high as the refresh rate of your monitor. Also, the game is optimised for 4x AA and 4x AF

_AH_Twisted

CAT 7.11 ! WTF  that is older than the drivers my card came with. Those were 8.6.

I've gotten better frame rates with AA and AF turned to application Control (off). I had them on 2x before.

My refresh rate is set to 85mhz for my CRT monitor :)

~S~

_AH_Prop

Well, 7.11 runs just fine with my X1950 pro. I forget my min/max fps cause Im at work, but to truely benchmark your game, run The Black Death track with the fps counter enabled. Thats the method recommended by the tech support guys at Ubi's forums. These guys know the game inside and out. They'll ask you to post a DXDIAG which is easy to do and post your config.ini. They look all that over and tell you what changes you'd need to make to best optimise the game for you. The URL is here for that forum http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/49310655

_AH_Prop

Correction, 8.11 cat is what I use..... sorry bout that.

_AH_Twisted

No Prob Prop.. still quite a few back from what I'm using. I did check it out though. I'm using the same settings that one of the threads shown. If these don't work out I may go to 8.11 and see if there is any increase.

Thanks Prop.
~S~