Ship Navigation

Started by _AH_Bear, March 13, 2015, 10:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Bear

~S~
Last night Kawilder myself and Olds played around with the morse code ship navigation feature of the game. Anyone wishing to learn this skill i will be teaching it this Saturday around 6 pacfic time 9 eastern unless that interferes with Lippys qual room time. If so next Thursday same times.
In the meantime download and print off this page.
https://app.box.com/s/xtexhtzy0gnrbx2i1goedt9gkgp80p2o

~S~ Bear

_AH_Bear

And to add... Olds comms were perfect last night..... :surprised-in-shower-006:

_AH_Olds

Well, not exactly (from my end)....it was freezing up quite a bit when I first got in, around 10. Had to wait for comms to improve before I could hear the instructions I needed. It did get to the point where I could actually carry on a conversation...that was after 11 o'clock. Got pretty smooth after that. Thanks, Bear for your patience with this...I know it gets annoying waiting for a response.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_gatlingun

~S~ Olds
Re. your comms I just want you to know that I always try to answer you during our missions. Hope you don't think I am ignoring you.
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_Olds

No, I know you aren't ignoring me. I don't usually hear your response, at least in a timely manner, so it's hard to know when you've said something. Gets pretty aggravating having this issue. I hope I can solve this soon. Thanks for your patience.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   That was a fine Nav. session we had with Bear. He is good instructor. I should know...I 'v had a bunch of 'um.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_taldrg

~S~
    In Nav. school my ship beacon ID would not show up on my screen. I fiddled around in my config. and changed this ShowMorseastext  from 0 to 1. This might help...is that right Bear?

_AH_Bear

yes that could be it TD im still thinking your setting/misc/HUD changes didnt take...

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   Yes...I went into off line and checked it(setting/misc/HUD )and it was not set soooo I turned it on. Also...is there a way to bring up the 6 carrier ID letters so I can copy them without going into a real mission?
  Thanks
     TD

_AH_Bear

The carrier #s are random and change every time so what i do is write it all down before i even start the plane.. its better than trying to fly and do it ... unless your in a plane with level stab capabilities..

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   Sorry to keep going here but, what I wanted were the 12 latters of the alfabet that each ship transmits every 30 degrees so I can put them in the 6 thingies you posted that I DL'd.

Thanks    :help-sos-sos-29402:   TD

_AH_Bear

Thats what i was meaning... in game.. hit TAB .. the list comes up... its not the same all the time...

_AH_kawilder

I got word that some of last nights class did not see the Morse code letters. I decided to look in my config and thought I might post the parts of my config and mark the locations that seem to be involved with it so maybe it could help others that can't see it in game. These are marked in red.

[NET]
speed=10000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21005
SkinDownload=1
serverName=darwin dcg
serverDescription=
remoteHost=24.167.133.179
localHost=24.167.133.179
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0
remoteHost_000=71.111.130.122:21000
remoteHost_001=n386fs.no-ip.info:21005
remoteHost_002=192.168.1.102:21005
remoteHost_003=72.14.127.20:21000
remoteHost_004=74.52.160.90:21002
remoteHost_005=99.239.31.4:21000
remoteHost_006=192.168.1.101:21005
remoteHost_007=192.168.0.2:21005
disableNetStatStatistics=0
showPilotNumber=1
showPilotPing=1
showPilotName=1
showPilotScore=1
showTeamScore=0
cumulativeTeamScore=0
showPilotArmy=1
showPilotACDesignation=1
showPilotACType=1
filterUserNames=0
reflyKIADelay=0
maxAllowedKIA=-1
reflyKIADelayMultiplier=0.0
reflyDisabled=0
allowMorseAsText=1
allowCustomSounds=1
remoteHost_008=192.168.0.4:21005
remoteHost_009=24.167.133.179:21005
remoteHost_010=192.168.0.4:21000
remoteHost_011=192.168.0.4:20005
remoteHost_012=192.168.0.7:21005
remoteHost_013=192.168.0.7:20005
remoteHost_014=192.168.0.7:21000
remoteHost_015=192.168.0.3:21005
remoteHost_016=192.168.0.3:21000
remoteHost_017=192.168.0.3:20005
remoteHost_018=192.168.0.3:21003
remoteHost_019=24.167.133.17:21005

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=1
mapPadX=0.6888889
mapPadY=-0.025925925
viewSet=117
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=1
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=1
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=1
3dgunners=1
ClearCache=0
SubTitlesLines=4
TypeClouds=1
HakenAllowed=1
ScreenshotType=0
RecordingIndicator=0
MapAlpha=0.99
SaveTrk=1
SkipParatrooperViews=1
NoMissionInfoHud=0
noKillInfoHud=0
BlockMorseChat=0
SmallMapWPLabels=1
ShowMorseAsText=1
IconUnits=0

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   Bear....you telling me that everytime there is a mission where we use carrier nav. and maybe there are two CV'S involved...I have to copy 24 latters in the little compass thingy I DL'd and they change with every mission? I don't have enough paper in my printer to keep copying that little compass rose over and over again.

_AH_Bear

TD
The download page has 6 compasses on it, if you do it right you can use the same compass a few times if you start in the middle and make rings kind of... Yes the ships change most evey mission, i have noticed some ships show similar letter sequences. So they do repeat themselves at times. Dont panic, im sure theres enuf ink in your pen.

_AH_taldrg

~S~
    OK...or as _AH_Viper used to say, "O.B.K.B." I understand it now. Thanks..teach.

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   Hey Bear...ask the C.O. if someone cpuld build a mission or two where we have to use this type of over water Nav. system. It would be, I think, interesting for the pilots and get a little closer to how it really was in WW2. A lot of water and no carrier in sight.

_AH_Bear

Thats a great idea TD, so would a navigation qual.. what do you think?
~S~ Bear

_AH_taldrg

~S~
    Yep...if you flew from carriers you had to know ship navigation....every pilot.

_AH_taldrg

~S~
    Had another Nav. lesson tonight with the bear. He is a good instructor. He must be....he got me to understand. Flew from Hickum Field to two diff. carriers and found them both. YA!
    Thanks Bear for taking the time.

_AH_Bear

Thanks TD...anytime buddy

~S~ Bear

_AH_Lippy

I will bring the question of whether or not to make a qual of this in the qual thread.

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Lippy on March 28, 2015, 11:12:47 AM
Bear and TD have been going over Ship Navigation/Qualification and asked the question do we want to make this a qualification. It would bring a fourth group/qualification to the table. Also might be a good thing as well bring some realism to the group. I know I need to learn navigation. Heck just trying to figure out what direction I am going in is some thing of conundrum.

The qual thread is really for reporting completed quals, so I moved this back here.

I don't know if we need a navigation qual or not, I'm kind of split on the issue. It could be useful yes but I wonder how many people would want to do it. Years ago some guys came up with the idea of the Combat Qual and alot of work went into that, figuring out the requirements and building the map and what not. Ultimately we had about 4 or 5 guys who ever completed it and I don't think it's seen the light of day for years. I would'nt want you guys to put a whack of work into making a qualification if it's just gonna get shevled in short order.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Bear

It could be fun, i was thinking of a kind of "hop" from carrier to carrier... starting at a home base, then carriers till the final land base, land bases would use the YG beacon.
I wouldn't mind building the map if you guys wanna try it..
~S~ Bear