Ventrilo Pro (V4) is Up.

Started by _AH_BBQhead, October 19, 2017, 04:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Gator

hey BB what is my password is plz

_AH_BBQhead

S! Gator

I have no idea what it is.  Would you like a new password?   Message me with the password you want  and I'll put it into the server, then I'll reply to your message telling you it's done.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Autorotate

working here as well. no issues.

still not sure whats so "pro" about it.

interface is a bit harsh...  :thinking-008:

_AH_Gator

S! Guys im in thank you BB :drinking-42:

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Gator, your password has been set.  I sent you a PM.  Give it a try.

Good to hear you guys are getting connected.   

There are a couple of features people were asking about availability for and Vent Pro just happened to support them but not Vent3. Also hoping the cross channel talk is less buggy in V4.     

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

JimDandy

_AH_DarkWolf

I'm really liking how Vent Pro blocks Archie by default right out of the box.

Man, I am on a roll today...

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Twenty

_AH_BBQhead

S~ All.

Looks like the success rate is pretty good. 

Passwords are the main thing gumming up the works.   Either the import feature is a little buggy with the passwords, or we're not remembering exactly what the passwords are.  Either way, not too  hard to fix.   The server, as always is set to not need a password, but if you've been using one, you need to put it in exactly, case sensitive and no extra spaces before or after. 

If you've been using a password and can't connect:
Easiest fix for now is to create a new user for Vent 4 and leave the password blank. Once you get connected with a different user name,  and while you're connected I, or another vent admin, can reset your password for your actual username and you can go back to using it.   

If you've never used a password:
And tried manually typing the connection info in after completely deleting the connection info that was in there and still can't connect, and also tried a different username ( Like adding an extra underscore) and leaving the password blank, and till can't connect, consider installing Teamviewer, link to that is in the email you should have gotten with all the other links, then some one can log into your computer and fix it for you.

My thinking is if the connection info is correct, and your username and password is correct, a firewall is the next place to look. Might be a Windows firewall, or one that might be part of your AntiVirus/Security software. If you're not sure where to find that stuff, that's when teamviewer can really help. 

_AH_DarkWolf

Is the sound quality any different on the new Vent? Or does it sound the same?

DW

_AH_BBQhead

S!

I think we're still using the same codec and it sounds the same to me.  We probably oughta try out any new ones that are available. I don't remember specifically which have been added but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing an Opus codec in there.  Hoping the buffering is better and the cross channel talk is less buggy, too.   

The Discord server sounds different. I think it's using an Opus codec.  That might be where I'm remembering seeing it - nope, just checked. it's in Vent, too. 

_AH_fraggmann

I think the sound quality is better in the new Ventrilo...just say'n (wavey)
At one time we had Kingdoms ruled by Kings and Empires ruled by Emperors.
Now we have Countries ruled by....mY h3Ad sT!Ll hUrZt

_AH_BBQhead

S~ All

Here's a link with info on manually putting the Vent Server connection info and username/ password into your Ventrilo client  if you didn't import the settings during the installation, or if the imported settings aren't working for you.

https://www.ventrilo3.com/support/ventrilo-pro-how-to-connect.php 

When my vent installed, I had to click the arrow icon at the top right of the vent window to be able to access the Server, User, Bindings settings.
They seem to have left that part out of the How to linked above.

If you can't connect with once you've tried that, make a new user with a different user name and leave the password blank. 

If you can connect with a new username and no password that will tell us your server settings are good and the password is the problem.   

_AH_BBQhead

Quote from: _AH_fraggmann on October 20, 2017, 10:30:41 PM
I think the sound quality is better in the new Ventrilo...just say'n (wavey)

Noted, Fragg.     Looking to get a load of opinions tonight, then maybe next week, try  a different one.

Most of you know you can test the codecs without connecting and you contrast and compare them. Open Vent, go to set up and select a codec, click test, talk.  release your talk button and it'll play back so can hear it.  If anyone reading this didn't know about it before, go ahead, give it a try.

Because it's a server setting, we all use the same codec when we're connected.  Might be that one of them sounds the same but is less prone to lag.  Or even better, maybe it sounds better and is less prone to lag.