AI Mod.....finally!

Started by _AH_Duff4r, January 20, 2009, 04:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

I have known this was coming.  It makes the AI more realistic....

They do more than the silly 360 roll
They are not always trimmed.
They can't run WEP for an hour
etc

The can STILL see you out to distance "X" where X=Skill level of the AI

Best yet, only the host needs this mod and the mod is easy in and out no hooks to anything!

It Works!
It is Beta!
It will get better!

Here's the post: AI Mod

Download here: AI Mod Download

Let's try this Jack, BBQ, Skat, and other Hosters

S~
Duff

_AH_Boosher

I'm wary of any modification of AI behavior. Adding maps and planes, visual effects, etc..., is fine with me. But direct tampering with the AI programming could cause behavioral problems in the software, problems which we can't cure by sending it to time-out. This mod means actually changing the way the game responds to the player.

_AH_taldrg

~S~  No more over the fence mods, PLEASE - PLEASE !  It is enough that it takes me 3 days to find out how to open a .rar file and now the FNF file from AH_Dev I can't get it to open. I am getting to be a weight on the back of our staff everytime a new thing comes up and they have to pull the OLD guy out of the mud. It just ain't workin' for me.

Respectfully:
                      TD
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Gonzo

Stick woth it TD. Couple of months down the line and you'll be the one teaching the new guys how it's done!

While Boosher does have a point, I'm willing to give it a test in my back up coply of the game. The AI's, and recently the crappy flight models of the add-ons, have really detracted from my fun in the game. To be honest, I can see the AI being no worse than before!

From the AAA site:

QuoteThe AI should now scissor vertically and horizontally, zig zag from side to side, attempt negative G redouts to foul up your shot, and perform an angled split S instead of constantly doing that 360 degree roll thing.

Also, I made changes to the pilot settings to simulate overheat and reduce their unrealistic advantage of always being perfectly trimmed.

Should the AI mod not be to your liking:

QuoteEasily. Just go into your "MODS" folder and delete the folder name "CERT_AI_MOD".

Voila, back to the old ai.

Lastly, after reeading through the entire thread over at AAA, the mod seems to have a lot going for it with very few issues noted.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_BBQhead

S~. 

yep.. there was some talk on comms last night about it..  Seems easy enough to test.. and the nice thing is only the host needs it..  AND it sounds to me like the ol " rename it with a dash in front of the folder name" and it will be disabled..

certainly worth testing... as it is still a beta, it might not be ready for prime time.. but worth a look.  Maybe run a scramble mission that we've flown before... fly it twice in a row.. once with non modded AI and then again with the AI mod enabled by the host.  Would be a nice first test..

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Gonzo

I've spent about just over an hour testing the new AI mod (Ver 1.2) in quick mission builder. I ran the same mission 6 times with no changes to mission set up. the aircraft used were Battle of Britain era featuring Spitfires, Hurricanes, Me109's, and Me110's. All aircraft were set to Veteran.

Here's some things I've noticed.

AI's still crash on the merge into the fight. In 4 of the 6 missions, two aircraft collided on the merge to the fight. While this used to happen before the mod, I'm sure if it was as frequent.

AI's will now vary defensive manoeuvres instead of simply going for the usual split S and roll till you run out of ammo.

AI's are more aggressive but their aim seems to be a bit worse. Also, they will not sustain a continuous rate of fire as they did in the past. They now fire off short bursts while trying to get the shot angle. Once they do have good convergence, they'll throw everything including the kitchen sink at you!

The Ai's are much harder to hit due to the changes in the defensive manoeuvres they perform. I believe that the hit percentage on the AI's is now very similar to a player flown aircraft.

Another thing that caught my eye was how aggressive the AI's have become. In the fight they will manoeuvre a lot closer and are not afraid to go for a tight head to head pass on the merge. However, I did notice that they rarely fire head on.

That's about it for now but I'll do some more testing offline when/if time permits.

_AH_Duff4r

FWIW,

I too did some testing but with a 2 on 2 mission.  Possibly not conclusive, but I saw no "crash on merge" running much the same mission 6 times.  I varied the planes a bit.  Other that that I saw exactly what Gonzo saw :}

Ya know, if you look in the Mod folder for this Mod, I always install to a NON-Game folder first, there are only two files that it changes. Here: DA920CD60E028A40, and EEBBE344D2C2A05A.  It does interfere with the "Carrier Takeoff mod" and the "Nav Lights" Mod in that order.

This is gonna get better folks!

PS:  LoL!  I'm kinda having fun chasing the little bastages.  It sure ain't as easy as it was.  I could see about a 33% reduction in AI kills :-}  They do get outta trim and more....check it!

S~
Duff

_AH_Gonzo

One thing I forgot to mention about the test missions I ran; The missions I flew were 16 vs 16.

When I ran the missions before the mod, the same thing used to happen but I'm not of the frequency. And, it's always the number 2 guy of the secong flight on my side that gets into the collision. No idea why it's always the same guy, but I think it has something to do with the way AI's are programmed to merge in the fight.

_AH_Gonzo

This just in...

The latest update to the AI flight model has just been released at AAA and is now version V1.3.

Version descriptions:

QuoteUPDATE 1.1:

- Added more variability to the maneuvers
- Changed pilot settings so their engine management varies by skill level (lower skill levels have slightly reduced highest throttle settings to reduce advantage of the AI having no overheat)
- (Hopefully) fixed takeoff bug with bombers in certain situations.
- Random chance of enemy aircraft not reacting if you approach from behind with a large energy advantage. This is to simulate the AI getting "bounced". Chance decreases as skill level of enemy pilot increases, almost no chance of this happening vs. an Ace.

UPDATE 1.2:

- More adjustments to the maneuvers
- AI will only use nav lights when taking off and landing

UPDATE 1.3:

- Head on attacks are favoured vs bombers for 109G6s and later, all 190s, p51s, p47s, p38s, F4Us, F6Fs, F4Fs, YAK9s. Bomber attackers should be generally more cautious, avoid 6 o clock attacks.
-AI no longer should no longer begin defensive maneuvers at 300m, distance is randomized within a range.

Link for the download and new AI Mod thread:

Thread:

http://allaircraftarcade.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11504&sid=3324f6ea397579d67ccc9dedde44f37e

Direct Downlaod:

http://files.filefront.com/CERT+AI+MOD13exe/;13054375;/fileinfo.html

or

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yvyyotyteyo/CERT_AI_MOD13.exe

_AH_Moggy

This sounds very promising!  I'm all for anything that will make it harder to down the idiot AI planes, and at the same time remove the unfair power management advantage they've always had.  I'm going to do some experimenting on my own (starting, of course, with how well they do now against my BOMBER (6))

_AH_Gonzo

Just for info...

The versions of this mod WILL overwrite each other.

This may offer some testing options using the various versions of the mod. Just an idea  (6)

_AH_Gonzo

S! all, looks like version 1.4 is now out for hte AI mod making the following corrections:

QuoteIt changes the enemy pilot AI so that they perform defensive maneuvers besides the 360 degree roll.

The AI should now scissor vertically and horizontally, zig zag from side to side, attempt negative G redouts to foul up your shot, and perform an angled split S instead of constantly doing that 360 degree roll thing.

I also made changes to the pilot settings to simulate overheat and reduce their unrealistic advantage of always being perfectly trimmed.

And, a bunch of other stuff you can read about below.

It's pretty beta, I only have so much time on my hands to test this out on my own, so any bugs, suggestions or observations on how this can be improved are welcomed.

UPDATE .11:

- Added more variability to the maneuvers
- Changed pilot settings so their engine management varies by skill level (lower skill levels have slightly reduced highest throttle settings to reduce advantage of the AI having no overheat)
- (Hopefully) fixed takeoff bug with bombers in certain situations.
- Random chance of enemy aircraft not reacting if you approach from behind with a large energy advantage. This is to simulate the AI getting "bounced". Chance decreases as skill level of enemy pilot increases, almost no chance of this happening vs. an Ace.

UPDATE .12:
- AI will only use nav lights when taking off and landing

UPDATE .13:
- Head on attacks are favoured vs bombers for 109G6s and later, all 190s, p51s, p47s, p38s, F4Us, F6Fs, F4Fs, YAK9s. Bomber attackers should be generally more cautious, avoid 6 o clock attacks.
-AI will no longer begin defensive maneuvers at 300m, distance is randomized within a range.

UPDATE .14:
- Yet more adjustments to the maneuvers.
- Made changes to wingman aggressiveness.
- Made changes to bomber attacking behavior. After the initial headon, they should now attack from other angles, instead of just trying to work back into position for another headon. Also, the AI will sometimes now aim for engines in both headon, and other passes. Let me know if this is any good, I don't have a mission with a huge bomber formation to test this with.

It can be downloaded at:

http://files.filefront.com/CERT+AI+MOD14exe/;13065237;/fileinfo.html

or

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oagni3cynao/CERT_AI_MOD14.exe

Note: It WILL overwrite previous versions of the mod.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. We flew a mission with the AI mod running on the host machine last night..  seemed ok

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Boss. "seems OK"  does that mean that we ALL...DL it now(God help me)?
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. Nope..

no one needs to DL this Mod..

it is still in the testing stage.. it is looking promising..

If ,and when, we do decide to use it,  only those that HOST missions will need to install it.