Misc Images

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, July 09, 2007, 03:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

The Helldiver was'nt an upgraded Dauntless, it was a totally different design.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Lippy

_AH_Autorotate

click the link for the full story!!  :drinking-43:

http://mofak.com/Night_Infamy.htm

This unnatural act of flying the Crusader with folded wings was photographed by Marine GySgt George Lord of VMF(AW)235.

It all ended after about a point 5 hour of flight time when the plane was landed safely into the arresting gear with the wings still folded and standing at attention.  Hundreds of hours of structural repair was required by Juan Lara, Jon Kirkwood and others in the Death Angel Metal Shop before DB 5 was once again flyable.

There were two successful flights in the F8E with the wings folded in the same Death Angel squadron at Da Nang in 1966 and 1967.  The first such wing folded flight occurred less than a year prior to our FAC's daylight demonstration and was a night all weather spectacular.  The 1966 flight was at night in the rain.  The pilot folded his wings to taxi around a PanAm 707 for takeoff.  He forgot to spread the wings.  He took off in the black rain probably setting the night land speed record in the Crusader.  After yanking it into the air before entering the frog minefield, he entered a world of flashing Christmas tree lights with the wing tips overhead flashing green and red and the multiple orange stab-aug lights blinking with every movement of the outboard wing panels and the stick and rudders.  The pilot raised the gear after becoming airborne. Having no idea what was wrong with the Crusader, he turned downwind and declared an emergency on the Tower radio frequency.  With all the flashing yellow and red lights, warning horns, black night, rain, soiled underwear, and uncontrollable urges for terra firma, the pilot forgot to put his gear handle back down.  Being a combat flight,  he had a box fin two thousand pound bomb on each wing station.  The anguished pilot landed on the two 2000 lb bombs with a mighty "Whump!" but nothing detonated except the Commanding Officer after he discovered what had happened to one of his valuable aircraft.  The pilot was medivacked to CONUS with a fractured vertebrae and a tooth-shredded rectal orifice.  Not exactly a hero's departure out of Da Nang Air Base.

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   This image means more to me than anything.

I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_gatlingun

~S~

SEMPER FI Brother!!!!!!!!!!
_AH_Gatlingun

VBF-12_Gosling

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_Nimble

THATS A GREAT PICTURE TD.. AND ONE THAT IMPRESSES ME GREATLY.... ESPECIALLY WITH THE GENTLEMAN PILOT IN THE FOREFRONT... THANKS FOR THAT TD..i EXPECT i WILL COPY AND FRAME IT FOR MY WALL

_AH_Mustang

super pic TD glad you shared it. Semper FI

_AH_Lippy

I hear ya loud and clear Mate ~S~ TD

_AH_Autorotate

darkwolf successfuly protected _ah_jack by downing a Ki-43 using nothing but his vertical and half of his horizontal stabilizer.
then after one hot approach he made a bouncy yet successful landing!
:drinking-43: :drinking-42:

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   Well done skipper.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_DarkWolf

My plan was to hit him with my wing, I missed...

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Nimble

I saw that great landing DW... excellent!!  Have you ever thought about bungy jumping??? :cool:

_AH_Autorotate