Ask _AH_Duff4r!

Started by _AH_Raider, January 18, 2008, 03:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moggy

I currently have the (standard, I think) IRQ conflict with my video card (well, one of 'em, anyway) sharing IRQ 16 with my Sound Blaster Audigy sound card.  Is there any way of removing this shared IRQ other than resetting the BIOS and re-installing windows?

Moggy

_AH_BBQhead

S~.   You may find you cannot manually change your IRQ settings (the Use automatic settings will be greyed out), this is usually related to the ACPI function used by Win XP.

To resolve conflicts with PCI  cards try manually setting them in your motherboard's BIOS or try a different slot for the card, you will usually find that by changing the slot you will change the IRQ channel as well.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Rumely

Dual boot XP and Vista, have the two operating system ready for a clean install on a new 500 Gig hard drive

1st attempt install XP fist of off the CD format ! will only see apox 130 gigs of the new hard drive. let it install will boot and run on the new install but will not show all of the new hard drive. Go in with my running hard drive to have a look at the new hard drive. Delete the partition and reformat from the right click my computer and then manage after the delete and reformat I will see the 500 gigs. Partition the drive at this point 250 gigs each and proceed to install Vista first from the DVD good install missing drivers love a new operating system.

Proceed to install XP on the other primary drive will not load all of the drive from the XP disk. Hmm

At this time I'm re-formating the 500 gig to 250 each one more time. will load Vista first and install XP from Vistas my computer manage screen.

will report back with the results 

_AH_Duff4r

Moggy,

Actually the "sharing" is quite common in XP all versions.  On my last rig I saw this problem.  Through research, I decided that it was more worry than worth.  Are you having a sound problem?

Regardless, I agree with BBQ.  You can't change the slot with SLI Vid Cards.  If you run only 1 vid card it still must stay in the slot closest to the CPU.

Where I to try anything I would move the sound card.  Be sure to uninstall all the sound card drivers then uninstall the card and switch slots.  Install the newest drivers and let us know!

Rumely,

I have not run a "dual" boot in ages and simply can't comment on your problem, sorry!

S~ Duff

_AH_Moggy

Thx for the advice on the IRQ issue.  I was advised elsewhere not to change the settings in the BIOS, so I didn't.  No major problems;  the only reason I asked is that I read in a tweak guide that the sound & graphics cards should not share an IRQ.  Apparently Windows XP resolves most of these sharing conflicts by itself.  We'll see...

Moggy

_AH_Rumely

Hard drive limt to a fresh install using a Windows XP OEM no updates is only 137 gigs

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Quick tip for freeing up a little space on your hard drive.. if you haven't reformatted recently.. and you're running low on disc space... then you've probably got lots and lots of restore points stored  on your hard drive. 

i removed all but the last restore point and picked up about a gig of free space on mine.. 

windows can do it for you with just a few clicks..  use at your own risk..

1 go to My computer, right click Local Drive  C
      your drive that windows is installed on.. "C" for most of us...

2 Click Properties,
     then , there by the pie chart, is the  Disk Cleanup button ..  make sure the compress drive box (below it and to the left) is not checked. .that would be a bad thing..

3 Click the Disk Clean up Button

when you click disk clean up.. it will calculate space...and compress old files.. don't let that worry you.. it's not the same as compressing the drive.

When it's done calculating a window with a bunch of checks and check boxes will open.. for this..

4 Optional:  uncheck all the boxes.... or not.   a check in the box means those files will be removed..  I prefer to uncheck all  the boxes for this.             

5 Click on the  "More Options" Tab  at the top.
   in the new window that opens, the third section down is  the system restore section. 

6 click "Clean Up" in the system restore section near the bottom.

7. Enjoy a refreshing beverage cuz  you're done. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Olds

Went to Windows Update site this morning, and saw that there was a service pack 3 available. Do you have any information on whether it works ok or not? Don't want to install it if it has problems.

Thanks, and S!

Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. not had any problems with service pack three.. i think i've loaded it onto well.. i lost count at 30 machines or so.. takes a while though.. somewhere between a half hour and an hour.

_AH_Duff4r

Hiyas!

Yes I have SP-3 on 4 machines, Work and Home.  All went well with the install and all are acting as "Normal" as any computer can.  That said, I never saw one damn bit of difference.  Must all be "under-the-hood"!

:lol-053:
Duff

_AH_Rumely

Any of you folks running Zone Alarm for anti virus protection, you may have lost your Internet connection as I have from an regular update.

Here is the link

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

Got to love those updates

_AH_Olds

I installed Ventrilo on my old machine last night for Cody (he wants to join on comms from time to time), and got an error about "duplicate IP's are not allowed". Does anyone know how to fix this? My settings are on automatic.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_BBQhead

S~.  Duplicate IP's are permitted on Vent.  But only for AH members.. at least i'm pretty sure that's how it's set up.

So if you log in as _AH_Olds with a password, the other computer should be able to join, too.  now that i'm thinking about it,   Fox was trying to get two to connect, Tbull had two onnecting.. i'm pretty sure they brought the second machine onto vent as as guest while they were logged in to their member account with the other machine.

_AH_Olds

Ok, thanks, BBQ...I'll try it that way.

_Deuce_

Got a prob duff4r....

PLEASE!!!!!

Ok so i set my water=3... But water in fact has no deffinition what so ever. Its just flat...

I mean it has graphics on top of the water that simulate waves, but when i bail out in it or ditch it is completely flat.

Here is a link that shows what it could look like.

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=303

Is this a realistic representation?  If so I am so missing out.

Sys specs:
EVGA 680i SLI TR Motherboard
2x1GB OCZ SLI 8500 RAM
Intel 6550 Core 2 Duo 2.3 GHz processor
GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
HP w1907 Monitor

Basically most the important parts.
I have the steam to run great graphics, but I am stumped.

Duff plz help. Is it the conf.ini that I need to change or settings on my gfx card?