Pre-Reformatting Lifeline?

Started by _AH_Moggy, April 22, 2009, 05:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moggy

~S~ guys:

Before I reformat, I thought I'd just throw this stuff at the wall in case anyone has any ideas.  I'm pretty much stumped.

A few nights ago, I had one of those "outta nowhere" performance glitches -- drastic reduction in frame-rates during online play.  Tested the machine online;  frame-rates were (and still are) normal.  Running WinXPHome SP2.  Windows updates are (except for SP3, which I never bothered to install) are up-to-date. 

No changes to system, no downloads, nothing.  Did some preventative maintenance:  all fans working, swapped video cards (same type) out, re-seated RAM.

Frame-rates online now are about 1/3 what they should be.  Connection speeds are normal and high.  I was thinking that it might be HyperLobby-related, but have no idea.

I know reformatting once a year or so is a very good idea anyway, and it's no big deal, but it does take an hour or two to reload everything, so I was just wondering if anyone had any possible miracle cures or ideas that would save me an hour or two.

(fingers crossed)

Moggy

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. it's a stumper alright..

since there weren't any changes made, other than maybe some windows updates.. hard to know where to start looking..

i don't know of any miracle cures.. but it might be worth a try to either run a system file check.. or maybe try a system restore to a date before you had the problem..

both take about 15 minutes each.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Archie

If you are thinking it might be Hyperlobby related, how about a direct connect to compare frame rates?

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.

_AH_Hornet

Quote from: _AH_Moggy on April 22, 2009, 05:27:33 AM
Tested the machine online;  frame-rates were (and still are) normal. 

Do you mean that you tested offline and everything runs quickly there?

_AH_Twisted

What were your old fps and what are you getting now, if you don't mind me asking.

Have you considered removing your video drivers and reinstalling the version you had when the machine seemed to be fine? I only mention this because any drivers updated in the past 6 months or so would have been developed around SP3.

I have SP3 installed but do not have IE7, I'm still running 6.xx something. IE7 has caused some issues with software I use and from what I've read IE7, and IE8 are both buggie as all hell.

From my own personal experience your connection (speed) would have a good effect on your fps only if you are running like 500kps or slower, and your machine is a dinosaur like mine where even minimal flak causes major frame rate drops.

_AH_Jack

Moggy, you might try uninstalling the driver and rebooting.  Then run a driver cleaner to clear out your graphics driver leftovers in the registry.  Then reinstall your driver.  Just a thought, but you've probably already tried this...

_AH_Moggy

Quote from: AH_Hornet on April 22, 2009, 01:39:30 PM
Quote from: _AH_Moggy on April 22, 2009, 05:27:33 AM
Tested the machine online;  frame-rates were (and still are) normal. 

Do you mean that you tested offline and everything runs quickly there?

Yes, when I play the game off-line the frame-rates are normal (I use the "Black Death" track as a measuring stick).

_AH_Prop

Moggy, id suggest posting the issue in the Community Help section of the Ubi forums, these guys are awesome with this kind of thing

_AH_Moggy

_AH_Moggy

Quote from: _AH_Twisted on April 22, 2009, 09:00:21 PM
What were your old fps and what are you getting now, if you don't mind me asking.

Have you considered removing your video drivers and reinstalling the version you had when the machine seemed to be fine? I only mention this because any drivers updated in the past 6 months or so would have been developed around SP3...

Old FR's were pegged at 60 (VSync "on"), at max resolution and all settings maxed out.  Now, they're 22-24.

I did consider re-installing the video driver but I've never changed the driver from "out of the box" and have never had any problems with it.  Also, I figured that if it were a driver issue that it would affect both off-line and on-line play.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.  if your offline play is ok, but slow online...

i am thinking there is something using up your CPU when you're online..

and the slow frame rate is a result of an overly busy system.. not a video card or video driver problem..

orrr...  possibly a dsl modem reset could help? 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Hornet

Quote from: _AH_BBQhead on April 23, 2009, 07:09:59 PM
S~.  if your offline play is ok, but slow online...

i am thinking there is something using up your CPU when you're online..

and the slow frame rate is a result of an overly busy system.. not a video card or video driver problem..

orrr...  possibly a dsl modem reset could help? 

Yes, likely not video card or drivers for video card.

It could be something eating CPU, but that's not likely either considering an always on connection would give a rogue program something to do even if you were playing offline.

I would run a speedtest and check your bandwidth.. especially number of connections and latency.

_AH_Prop

Moggy, here is the link for the Ubi community help forum in case youre still having issues

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/49310655

_AH_Moggy

_AH_Prop

Anytime Moggy! S!

Just as a footnote when you ask for their help, it doesnt hurt to post a dxdiag report (Start - run- type dxdiag and hit enter, dxdiag will do a quick scan, save the report to your desktop, itll be a .txt file) also copy/paste your conf.ini as well. It makes trying to track down the problem easier for them.