Is Gimp a good utility for skinning?

Started by Aviar, July 09, 2009, 07:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Stiffy

you just need someone to walk you thru some steps

one tip, if you add the numbers to a layer and not the skin itself, you can flip that layer and move it
to where you want it

heck i had BBQ adding nose art after 4 hours.......(he was being difficult)
usually only takes about 30 mins to an hour to get up and running doing basic stuff

Aviar

Thanks Stiffy, but I guess you didn't read all of my posts. I already figured out how to erase and add new numbers.

Ok, now there is something I really want to learn. How can I apply a noseart onto a skin? I don't like how the in-game noseart looks....kind of like a decal.

I want to place custom noseart right on the skin, like you guys have. I guess it's some kind of cut and paste, but I tried that and didn't even come close.

I'm gonna need some real help with this one. I don't think I can figure this one out on my own. Even the guy who helps me with some of my skins doesn't know how to do it.

Aviar
Intel i7-4790 4-Core @3.60GHz
Asus Z97-C Motherboard
16GB DDR-3 1600 SDRAM @800 MHz
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

_AH_Stiffy

Well, I did real all your posts, i just never had to flip the whole skin over and back or whatever it is your doing to get it to work. bottom line, if you found a way to make it work, then do it.

as far as adding nose art to the skin, i think your wanting the rivits and lines to show on it
i could tell you how i do it but its paintshop pro so i think it would make you more lost then before

Aviar

Thanks for your offer. However, since I'm working with Gimp, that's what I need help with.

Aviar
Asus Z97-C Motherboard
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

_AH_Col._Hogan

Is it ironic that the program you are struggling with is called "Gimp"? or would that be a coincidence?

S!

Aviar

Quote from: _AH_Col._Hogan on July 12, 2009, 07:05:32 PM
Is it ironic that the program you are struggling with is called "Gimp"? or would that be a coincidence?

S!

There must be some reason I'm drawn to it.

*I'm actually getting closer though. Somehow, I actually got the noseart on the plane. However, I can't get the background transparent. So, I have a big gray rectangle with a pretty girl inside of it. I've tried so many things, but I can't get that gray to be transparent.

Aviar
Asus Z97-C Motherboard
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

_AH_Twisted

When you convert it over to a bmp any transparent areas turn white, so don't fret.

Aviar

Quote from: _AH_Twisted on July 12, 2009, 11:21:13 PM
When you convert it over to a bmp any transparent areas turn white, so don't fret.

Maybe I didn't explain it well. I already converted it to a BMP file and flown the plane in IL-2. (you don't even need to fly the plane. You can see if the background is transparent as soon as you place the art onto the skin.)

The noseart is on the plane, but the background of the rectangle is not transparent, like it should be. In this case, it's the color gray.

I don't know how to manipulate Gimp to make the background transparent.

Aviar

Asus Z97-C Motherboard
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

_AH_Stiffy

try this,

add a transparent layer to the skin, add the nose art to the invisible layter then erase the gray part

Aviar

Somehow, I actually did it! I don't know if I can ever do it again, because I was just trying different things until it worked.

The noseart now is much more pixelated than the in-game noseart, but it doesn't have that 'decal' look. I'll have to see if there is a way to attach the artwork without so much pixelation.

Aviar
Asus Z97-C Motherboard
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module