Skins

Started by _AH_Toccs, November 03, 2009, 01:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Toccs

Well, maybe someone here has a definitive answer.  Does skinning an aircraft cost a frame rate hit? I have heard that skins do in fact cost vid resources, and have shied away from skins.

What say ye, o official AH geek squad? Am I off kilter on this?

_AH_Twisted

I personally haven't noticed a difference Toccs. That is to also say it couldn't happen. I've used default skins on missions and dogfight rooms. It really doesn't seem to make a difference.

I would say your frame rates are effected more by map objects and AAA.

~S~

_AH_BBQhead

S~.  I've never noticed any difference in frames  using a custom skin. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

I don't think it would make a difference either. If it's a default skin, a custom skin or even the void. A skin is a skin is a skin. They are all 1mb, 8-bit image files.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Gonzo

I concur. The transfer rate of skins within the game is very slow so as not to detract from connection speed. In fact, the only time you will feel a hit from a skin is when it is fully downloaded to your game's skin's "Net Cache" folder and loads it for the first time while a mission is in session. This minor hit (Lasts for about a heart beat) only happens if you happen to be in very close proximity to the aircraft whose skin has just been downloaded. When we used to fly formation in High Aces, a new skin loading would cause nothing more than a small stutter and caused no issues in maintaining a tight formation even with lots of other mission stuff going on.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_Toccs

Well I was totally wrong on that one, but that's good news.  Gonna bombard DW with skin requests!