Carrier Take-Off Mod Ver. 5.3.3

Started by _AH_Boosher, July 24, 2009, 04:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Boosher

Carrier Take-Off mod version 5.3.3 is out at AAA here.

This renders 5.2 obsolete and makes a few bugfixes. Here is the changelist:

Quote from: Fireball*****Version 5.3.3 Update*****

Version 5.3.3 fixes the bug that sometimes caused aircraft to spawn at the wrong base in Dogfight servers. See the list of changes below to see what else is new in this version.

To fix the wrong-base spawn problem, I had to make some significant changes in aircraft layout on most carriers between versions 5.2 and 5.3. So, for flying in co-ops everyone should move to the new version. Otherwise you'll have planes spawning on top of other planes on deck in co-op missions.

You'll notice that sometimes the aircraft may not all spawn in perfect rows, depending on which carrier and which aircraft. That's a side-effect of fixing the spawn problem, but in some ways I think it actually may look a little more realistic. Another unfortunate side-effect, is that the number of aircraft that can spawn on a CVE is quite a bit less than it was. Other carriers aren't affected nearly as much.

This mod changes the way aircraft line-up for takeoff on the deck of an aircraft carrier, allowing more aircraft to fit on deck. It also allows players and AI to use the catapult for takeoff on carriers that are equipped with catapults.

IMPORTANT: This version merges the Carrier Catapult mod in with the Carrier Takeoff mod. You need to disable any earlier versions of both mods.

Changes in version 5:

- Carrier Catapult mod is merged into this mod.
- AI can now use the catapult.
- Changed the way AI move into position for takeoff.
- Fixed the problems with AI takeoff in 2x/4x/8x game speeds.
- Slight changes to the placement of aircraft on some carriers.
- Fixed catapult to work on both short and standard decks of CVL's.
- F9F Panther starts with folded wings.
- Fixed bug that sometimes caused aircraft to spawn at wrong base in Dogfight servers. (NEW IN 5.3.3)
- Added NoNavLightsAI option, to keep AI from turning on their nav lights at night. (NEW IN 5.3.3)
- Added FastLaunchAI option, so AI can move to catapult with wings already unfolded, to speed up launch a little. (NEW IN 5.3.3)
- Added option for game host to put AI-related catapult parameters in conf.ini instead of mission file, so they don't have to be added to every mission. (NEW IN 5.3.3)
- Swordfish starts with folded wings. (NEW IN 5.3.3)

This coming Monday, July 27th, I will be running a few test Coops with 5.3.3 at approximately 8 PM EST. Anyone who wishes to join me in testing this would be welcome and appreciated.

It would also be useful for you to have these mods installed, if possible:

Swordfish Mk. I - Beta 3
F9F-2 Panther
Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib and IIc.
Sea Gladiator Mk.I
Seafire Mk.II Merlin 45 & 50.

There are specific changes with regards to some of these aircraft, which is why I want to test them.

_AH_DarkWolf

I would like to sign up Taldrg for your testing, Boosher.

TD, please have all the above mods downloaded and installed no later than 8pm EST on monday.

DW

JUST KIDDING TD!

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Boosher

Here are a couple of very helpful mission tools that we can use. Note - there is a way to code a mission file so that the Catapult boosts you off 30 kph faster than it normally would. For Korean missions or heavily overweight aircraft this is quite useful.

Quote from: Readme ver. 5.3.3- There are several parameters that the mission builder can add to the [Mods] section of the mission (.mis) file that affect the use of the catapult. By default the catapult will work on all ships for both human players and AI. You only need to add any of these parameters if want to change the default behavior. NOTE: If you make any changes to the mission file in the Full Mission Builder after adding these parameters, they will disappear and will have to be re-entered:

CatapultAllow - Setting this to 0 disables the catapults on all ships for human players and AI. Default is 1.

CatapultAllowAI - Setting this to 0 causes the AI to use rolling takeoff on all ships. Human players can still use catapult. Default is 1. (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI.)

CatapultBoost - In dogfight and single-player missions the mission builder can set the parameter 'CatapultBoost 1' . This will increase the power of the catapult by approximately 30 knots. This gives you roughly the same results as you would have in a carrier moving at 30 knots in a co-op mission. Default is 0.

StandardDeckCVL - Setting this to 1 causes the catapult to be setup for the "standard deck" on the CVL's. Default is 0 (short deck).  (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI and your aircraft.)

CatapultAI_CVE - Setting this to 0 causes the AI to use rolling takeoff on all CVE's instead of catapult. Default is 1. (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI.)

CatapultAI_CVL - Setting this to 0 causes the AI to use rolling takeoff on all CVL's instead of catapult. Default is 1. (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI.)

CatapultAI_EssexClass - Setting this to 0 causes the AI to use rolling takeoff on Essex and Intrepid instead of catapult. Default is 1. (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI.)

CatapultAI_Illustrious - Setting this to 0 causes the AI to use rolling takeoff on Illustrious instead of catapult. Default is 1. (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI.)

CatapultAI_GrafZep - Setting this to 0 causes the AI to use rolling takeoff on the Graf Zeppelin instead of catapult. Default is 1. (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI.)

NoNavLightsAI - Setting this to 1 will cause the navlights on AI aircraft to stay off at night. Default is 0. (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI.).

FastLaunchAI - Setting this to 1 will cause the AI to move into launch position with their wings already unfolded. Default is 0. In co-op missions, players other than the host will still see the AI unfold their wings AFTER they've moved into position, and they may takeoff before their wings are completely unfolded. The wings will finish unfolding as they launch, and it will not affect the flight characteristics. The FastLaunchAI parameter is useful if you just want to get the AI off the deck as quickly as possible. For most aircraft it will not save much time, but for aircraft that unfold their wings very slowly (ex. F4U, B5N, B6N) it can save several seconds per aircraft launched. (This parameter can also be put in the [Mods] section of your conf.ini to set the default behavior of the AI.).

Sample [Mods] section in mission (.mis) file:

[Mods]
  CatapultAI_EssexClass  0
  NoNavLightsAI  1
  FastLaunchAI  1

Some AI-related parameters, as described above, can be put into the host's conf.ini instead of the mission file. The format in the conf.ini is slightly different. The parameter name and value are separated by an equal (=) sign instead of one or more spaces.

Sample [Mods] section in conf.ini file:

[Mods]
  CatapultAI_EssexClass=0
  NoNavLightsAI=1
  WingsFoldedAI=1

Version history
===============

Initial release of version 5

- Fixed AI spawn problem on ships without catapults.
- Added CatapultAllowAI parameter.

- Fixed memory error which occurs sometimes if F9F Panther is not installed.
- Fixed CatapultAllow mission parameter.
- Added slightly more catapult power for very heavy loadouts.

5.3 (test release)

- Fixed bug that sometimes caused aircraft to spawn at wrong base.
- Added NoNavLightsAI parameter.
- Added WingsUnfoldedAI parameter.
- Added option to put AI-related catapult parameters in conf.ini instead of mission file.
- Swordfish starts with folded wings.

5.3.1 (test release)

- (Supposedly) fixed bug which caused some AI aircraft to take off with wings folded.
- Fixed problem with AI sometimes unfolding wings next to another aircraft, causing an explosion.
- Change WingsUnfoldedAI parameter to WingsFoldedAI. AI moving into position with wings already unfolded is now the default.

5.3.2 (test release)

- Fixed bug which caused some AI aircraft to take off with wings folded...really this time.
- Removed WingsFoldedAI parameter.
- Added FastLaunchAI parameter. Reverted back to AI moving into position with wings folded as default.

- Fixed a couple of aircraft line-up issues.

_AH_BBQhead

S~ thanks for the info, Boosher..

Please note, this mod is not currently required.

If you do want to test it, Please install it in a test folder. ( or if for some reason you are testing mods in your active game folder, disable it or remove it before joining squad rooms so you don't spawn out of position)

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Boosher

If you wanted to run the test with me but are unable to do so this Monday at such short notice, I will be running tests all week well before scheduled meeting time for flying. You may join me if you wish. E-mail me for more information.

EDIT:

Test was a 100% success, all parameters met. I will type up a formal report.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. I was just reading at the AAA site that there are problems with this mod... AI crashing into the bridge and the guntubs unless the carrier is on a heading other than Eastward. 

Were you aware of this problem Boosher? 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Boosher

Didn't see any of that, but all of my Carriers were headed South-East. I'll do some more tests.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. I'd suggest waiting for the updated version that Fireball has already said is needed. He's confirmed there are problems and is working to correct them. He also has confirmed there are some mods that are currently incompatible with 5.3.3. But he wasn't clear as to whether or not he was going to try and resolve those issues. 

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Like my mom told me about the hot stove....DON'T TOUCH IT.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_DarkWolf

I see the dude has combined the AI mod with this carrier mod now. If it works out this could eliminate the headache of having to have two catapult mods.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Moggy

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on August 03, 2009, 12:04:22 AM
I see the dude has combined the AI mod with this carrier mod now. If it works out this could eliminate the headache of having to have two catapult mods.

DW

Whoa!  Hold on there, pilgrim!   That might mean that we here at AH as a squadron would possibly have to all agree to fly the SAME ***-DAMN VERSION of the game.  Watch yer step, DW!

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Where do you see that they have combined the Caririer Take Off 5.3.3 and the AI mod? I see only that they are incompatible.

The official AH version is currently UI1.1  + Carrier Catapult b4 Enabled. + Carrier Takeoff 5.2 Disabled.

The 1.1.1 patch will be discussed at the next Squad Meeting.

Both the Catapult b4 mod and Take off 5.2 mod are available in the View Downloads Section.

Since the Carrier Take off 5.3.3 is still in the Work In Progress Beta stage, please only install/test it in a separate folder from your working game folder  so as not to cause undue restart/ spawn problems, as per squad policy. ( or remove or disable it after testing )  thanks.  

Foxbat

S~

"The Dude?"

DW, I think there is hope for you after all!

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_BBQhead on August 03, 2009, 03:22:52 PM
S~. Where do you see that they have combined the Caririer Take Off 5.3.3 and the AI mod? I see only that they are incompatible.

AAA is really slow for me today for some reason, took me forever to get the link.

http://allaircraftarcade.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18739

It's the AI 3.0 + Carrier Takeoff 5.3.3 as a single mod. You said already he's got some probs with 5.3.3 but it's something to keep an eye on if he fixes it.

DW

_AH_BBQhead

S~, Thanks.. tried the link.. but yep.. way slow.. gave up after a minute and a half of loading and not getting there..

i'll try again tomorrow..