Cert AI + Carrier T/O 5.3.3

Started by _AH_Moggy, September 23, 2009, 08:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moggy

~S~ all:
Well, I think it's time we tried out the "vote up or down" mod protocols (uh, sort of;  see below).  I'd like to recommend that we have everyone install the "Cert AI Mod + Carrier Take-off Mod 5.3.3."

Obviously, this isn't a very good test of the "let's vote on it," since it's only a tiny mod that can (like all the other carrier takeoff mods) be easily disabled by the "-" renaming.

Anyway, here are the reasons I think it would be beneficial for everyone to at least have this one available:

1.  It's the only version of the carrier takeoff mod that is compatible with the AI mod.  And, since many guys do use the AI mod (including myself now), it would only seem to make sense to use this one.

2.  It's essentially the same as the 5.2.2 carrier t/o mod, but (aside from being compatible with the AI mod) it does fix a couple of individual aircraft type line-up issues.

3.  It's a small download and painless install.

4.  It can be disabled at will.

5.  For some carrier missions, it effectively reduces the # of carriers you have to put in the mission -- improving frame-rates for nearly everyone at launch & recovery.

6.  I'm outlining another campaign for this winter:  A USN carrier campaign flying as part of CVG-83.  Since we'll have to have everyone running the same version of the carrier t/o mod (or none at all; if the AI mod is going to be used), it would seem almost necessary to have this latest version.

Anyway, here's the link to the mod:

http://www.allaircraftarcade.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18739

(I see no reason why we can't all just throw it in, even though it won't be technically an "official AH mod."

Comments welcome, flyboys!

Moggy

_AH_Viper

Got a link to the AI mod?  Since I'm going to be hosting etc.  I'd like to have it.  I'm also going to try my hand at building some missions.

_AH_BBQhead

S~ Has the Carrier 5.3 mod been released as a non beta?

I had mentioned a couple meetings ago that this would most likely be the next mod we would be adding, once it was no longer in the beta section at AAA.

Installing this would also means  we would uninstall ( delete) the Carrier Catapult b4 mod.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Moggy

No, all the carrier takeoff  mods (including the "b4") were, and are (and will probably remain!), beta.

That said, please disregard my post below recommending that everyone install it.  I found a MAJOR bug in the Cert AI + Carrier TO 5.3.3 mod.  Sorry 'bout that, boys.

Moggy

_AH_BBQhead

Ut  O...

what's the bug? 

aside from that though... and a little off topic.. is the bomb bay doors Plus 2.5 we've been testing.

A very exciting mod that will allow us to turn off enemy views without having to edit missions to make it work.. thanks to Slikk's  hard work.

At the Meeting on sunday i expect to have enough online to vote it in, and then install it.. another easy install.. just  drop it into the mods folder, and remove any other bomb bay door mod.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Moggy

(Update)

Here's the problem with this mod.  In the followng screenshots you can see the evolution of the various carrier T/O mods, from 5.2.2 through Cert AI + 5.3.3.  The subject mission was built using the 5.2.2 carrier T/O mod, with 12x F6F's + 9x TBM's on deck.

Using Carrier T/O 5.2.2, all the planes are spotted correctly on deck:

Using Carrier T/O 5.3.3, now two of the Avengers are forced to air-start:

And, finally, using the Cert AI mod + Carrier T/O 5.3.3, things are *really* screwed up -- only 9 of the Hellcats are spotted on-deck;  the rest are forced to air-start:

_AH_Moggy

(Update to the Update)

File under the title "Doh!"

The mod does work as advertised.  I made a "gomer-level" mistake in installing it.

DOH!

_AH_DarkWolf

*adds this thread to his favorites for the next time he wants to rip on Moggy*

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Moggy