Hmm, interesting situation...

Started by _AH_Moggy, October 17, 2009, 08:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moggy

Well, it seems my gaming computer has, um, a serious hardware problem.  Has anyone encountered a boot-up to the motherboard screen, then an error message saying:

"Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Somethin here's fried, that's for sure.  Anyone have a clue?

Moggy

_AH_Autorotate

the power of google

http://www.google.com/search?q=Reboot+and+select+proper+boot+device+or+insert+boot+media+in+selected+boot+device+and+press+a+key&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

id recommend resetting your bios, maybe a boot order was changed somehow. or there might be an error somewhere in the cmos in recognizing your hard disk.
unplug all external hd's or any mass storage devices you may have attached as well.
thats what most the tips hint toward in reply's for the most part.
ive spent the last 30 minutes searching quite a few threads though- with people having the same problem, not much luck for anyone..
might be terminal, i hate when things like this happen out of the blue.

i had a similar problem with my HD last week. it sucks, luck of the draw though i guess  (roll) (roll)
i wish i could help more, i know how much of a pain it is first hand, many times..

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

First i'd try  re seating the cables to the hard drives.  Could be the power or data cable has stopped working.
  THe last time you had a similar problem, on a computer you had a few years ago, I remember you were using a RAID and it turned out that the 'wrong' hard drive was set to "stripe"  in your BIOS.

If you've got an XP disc, you could try to follow this fix it  how to i posted a long time ago in the view downloads section. 

http://aceshigh.ws/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item151

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Doc

Good luck Moggs, hope everything works out ok!