Some re-gridding of maps with UP 2.0

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, February 01, 2010, 03:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

Last night I was talking about some different grids on maps. I was wondering if the Perfect_Map_Textures changed the grids the way the older default map upgrade pack did. So I've been looking around, it does'nt look like there is a difference between having Perfect_Map_Textures on or not, but there IS a change from UP 2.0 to what we've run previously.

There used to be two versions of some maps, some were much larger than others. For example, the original Guadalcanal map varied from the Guadalcanal Early map in that the latter had alot more sea area to the west and south. So for example where left to right one map had grids A-P, the other has grids AA-BX. In UP 2.0 they look identical. I seem to remember the Marianas Online and Marianas maps differed in a similar way, but with UP 2.0 they look the same.

So if we have missions that were built on the versions who's grids are no longer used, some of the briefs might be incorrect. They might refer to grids that don't match waypoints or simply don't exist. So we'll just have to go by the grids on the briefing map. Others we might actually have to fly off the map, which will be a real problem.

I had these old ATC maps to illustrate what I'm talking about.

This is the Guadalcanal map :

This is a section of Guadalcanal Early, not the whole thing.

You can see the difference in the grid letters and numbers. In UP 2.0 BOTH Guadalcanal maps look like the top image.

So it does'nt look like there will be any problems with people seeing different grids, we will all see the same grids. But there might be problems running some older missions built pre-UP 2.0. I'm not sure just how many maps this will affect.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Duff4r

DW,

You are certainly right.  Older missions need to be re-worked or archived as a good day gone by.  I think it caused some of the troubles tonight trying to fly after the meeting.

Good thoughts,
Duff