Skinning

Started by _AH_z5o, February 20, 2010, 05:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_z5o

:help2: What software is needed for skinning? Im trying to keep all the layers, I guess thats what you call them aka seams, rivets, smoking effect. Ive got some great ideals bu,t all Ive got to work with right now is paint. Any help on this would be great.
Thanks Zulu
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Autorotate

photoshop  (roll)
$$$$

i don't condone downloading torrents of pirated copies either
:drinking-29: :drinking-42:  :drinking-43:
unless i've had a few & have bad judgement.

_AH_DarkWolf

If you're modifying a skin from your skins folder or something, it is very difficult to maintain panel lines and rivets and what not. You cannot seperate those layers once the skin is in it's final state. Pretty much all you can do is paste stuff on top of the image.

You'll need a good graphics program that can use .PSD and .PSP files, the vast majority of templates are in .PSD format. It's template files that have all the various layers with panel lines, rivets, etc, etc as seperate objects. Once you have templates and the program to use them, then you can do what you want. It's real easy to add stuff and drag it down to the proper place in the layers. I use an old program called Corel Photo-Paint 8. I think there is a program some people use called GIMP, might be free, not sure though.

You'll also want to grab something like BRIGHTER, which is available at http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/. For the game to read a skin, it has to be an 8-bit paletted image. Where as when you're working with a template it's in 24-bit RGB color. BRIGHTER usually does a better job at converting than some graphics programs can do themselves.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill