P-38F-1 flaps, bug?

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, February 24, 2010, 10:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

Last night we flew a mission with P-38F-1s, one of the new slot lightnings that came with UP 2.0. As we were flying out some guys commented about having only one flap setting, landing. Others said they had a combat flap setting as well. So something is up here...

I was one of the ones with only a landing setting.  I did some testing, removing everything from the right side of my JSGME as well as putting a - on my MODS folder (only mod I have in there changed the prop disc animation). With all this disabled, I still have only a landing flap setting. I looked through the AAA thread on these a/c and found this amongst the descriptions of the various versions :

"P-38 G (3D Model same as the E). Added combat flaps. Greatly improved turn performance over the F model."

So if they added combat flaps with the G model, one can assume the F model did not have them. This would indicate that the F model is accurate in having only a landing setting. So why do some guys have a combat flap setting and others not?

Could the guys that DID have a combat flap setting try removing everything from the right side in their JSGME and minus out there MODS folder and see if you still have a combat flap option.

Do you guys who had a combat flap option have a takeoff setting as well?

Could this difference be attributed to some kind of control setting? Like if you have your flaps on a slider or rotary thingy could it be allowing incremental flap settings or something?

I think we should figure out if this is something on our end, or a problem with UP 2.0.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Boosher

One problem that has always been part of the game I attribute to one "RayBanJockey," a legend on the UBI forums, who reportedly, 'mapped everything to a slider.' Trim on a slider, flaps on a slider, etc... Are we sure that the people who had combat flap control do not have their flaps on a slider? If not, we have to find out what JSGME mods everyone has activated, and beyond that, how did everyone install 2.0 and 2.0m.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Combt flaps

Had Hakenkruz, perfect map, Uranium effects and 6dof look around going

Also noticed i didn't have my mod cockpit or 38 sounds during that mission

_AH_Duff4r

Hmmm.......I only have the landing flaps, which I believe is correct?

S~
Duff

_AH_DarkWolf

Did you test it with all that disabled Hogan? Still have combat flap option?

Your cockpit and sound mod might not work if it was made before these new slot ones came out.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

Nobody have any more imput on this?

DW

Foxbat

Have not flown the plane since.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. Well.. i'll put in what i've got..

I flew that plane once.. and remember different guys had different flap settings.. i am one of the guys that had the usual, combat, take off and landing flap settings.. 

Don't have any idea why some didn't.  the only mods i enable in the JSGME are the bullet intermittent smoke trails, the light clouds, and the Zuti when it's required.

Only have tracers and battlesights in my mods folder.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Duff4r

Go into your MODs folder and put a (-) in front of the STD folder...(-STD)  All good

S~
Duff

_AH_DarkWolf

So...is that where the problem lies Duff? Is that the solution?

I noticed in the thread on the Ultr@Pack website about 2.0m that it does'nt update your mods folder.

"Just a note: this does not appear to update the STD file contents in the deactivated MODS folder if you are using those as a basis for furthering modding."

Then HaDeS says :

"Just copy the following directories from your Files folder:
com
gui
i18n

inside the STD folder:
STD\com
STD\gui
STD\i18n

I forgot to update the MODS folder with the latest Patch for future usage, so do it yourself"

I did this when I updated to 2.0m. Is the issue caused by guys using the MODS folder with older files in it?

DW

_AH_Duff4r

Correct!

The Mods folder didn't update during the patch as you posted.  Just (-) out the STD folder or do the copy thing that you posted. Either way works.  The P-38 flaps bug will be gone!

As always this whole SIM is a WIP (work in progress).  Will it end...NEVER.  It will have some ups and downs and we will never be finished or totally satisfied. Something will always be wrong and something will always be better than it was.

Are we getting better?  You bet.  The Avenger is a great example.  It was not in the game, then ridiculously uncontrolable and now it's flyable option with historical loadouts.

Oleg made many mistakes like converting from KMH to MPH.  Example: some top speeds didn't get converted properly to MPH. Some of his "FM" guys blew it or put a more Russian like spin on things.  These mistakes are by plane or variant and is NOT a wholesale problem.

4.10m will incorporate many of the now MODS into the sfs.files format.  Our MODS folder will swell then diminish and swell again as 4.09 goes to 4.10 then 4.11 etc.  Look at your MODS folder...how many "New" slot planes are there?  Back just a bit ago, the MODS folder held many new rides and now it's just ZUTI and eye and ear candy.  The MODS folder is a necessity to allow for those with the "big rigs" to use them and for those with lesser rigs to not be crippled with low FPS and stutters.  It allows the "offliners" like SAS to have it "their" way and the onliners to be compliant so we're all flying the same game.

The BIG things are SECURITY and REALISM coupled with advanced game play options....like ZUTI.

Sorry for the ramble.

S~ Duff

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Changing files like this, the ones that affect plane performance in any way, should be addressed at the meeting so we can all be on the same page with it.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_DarkWolf

I agree with that, BB. It is something we'll need to make everyone aware of. But first lets make sure we indeed have found the culprit and the fix.

To confirm this, how about some of the guys with the extra flap settings minus out their STD folder in their MODS folder and check if they now have only the landing flap option?

If they do, then we have all the info we need to present to the squad for action to be taken.

DW

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. My question is, If that is the fix, what would be the better way to go?  Just minusing it out, or copying those three files in?

_AH_DarkWolf

I've wondered that too, BB. Why have these files in the MODS folder at all if you don't need them to be there and can just minus out the STD folder?

DW