New Old Computer

Started by _AH_Duff4r, August 13, 2012, 11:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

Hiyas,

Was going to build new but got handed a little used Gateway Quad core and 8 Gigs of RAM.

I haven't done my research...looking for some quick answers :-)

Questions:

What version of 64 bit Windows 7 should I get and where to buy it?

It has a NVIDIA Geforce GT120 Vid card, I am assuming that's crap what's a reasonable replacement?

Is 32Gigs of RAM overkill?

Any I going to die 3 deaths getting my CH Pro USB stuff to work?

Other suggestions?

S!

Duff

* Somehow, I'll bet I would have been better to build from scratch...Oh well, Free is good! The persons that had this are into tablets and laptops...

_AH_Jack

I use Windows 7 Professional & got it via Pricewatch   http://www.pricewatch.com/software_oper_system/           My system runs 8 gigs of RAM & there are no issues when running multiple applications or running IL2 with TrackIR and the CH software.   I think 8 gigs is more than enough.  For video, I'm using an ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 &  am quite happy with it's performance.  I got the video card through Tiger Direct with a rebate.  There are newer & cheaper cards out there now. 
I'm running CH Control Manager v 4.51 & it runs nicely in Windows 7 64.

_AH_Autorotate

i agree with jack there, but one thing i'd say is except dont skimp on a vid card. this game still uses an old and unoptimized video processing method. so i'd go with a video card with at least with the power of a 250 no less, and as he said prices have come down a lot so it shouldnt be hard to score a decent one for a good deal..

also with the new 22nm cpus out now (if youre going with intel i assume) the older 32nm's have droped alot in price and there are some fine and solid quads out there up for grabs.

_AH_Duff4r

Excellent...thanks a ton guys :)

Da Duff!

_AH_z5o

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Tbull

I picked up Win 7 from Amazon. I think I paid $100.00 bucks for it. Worked for me, I went with the Win 7 profesional also so I could run the 32 & 64 bit. Good luck mate.

_AH_Corona

Ive got a 560ti 1g with 8150 8core 3.6 and 8 gig of ram. Im going reinstall when i get my new sata 6.
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!

_AH_Duff4r

Thanks for all the info.....

Things are going good....so far. No issues with Vista Home premium actually...I am tweaking the Holy bageezus out of it.

Controllers installed. I ordered an NVDIA GT 440 (FERMI) DDR5, 1 Gig Vid Card as this box only has a 400w PS. If this doesn't work then it will replace the wife's aging machine and I will build new.

Thanks,
S!
Duff