Scorched Earth Online Wars (S.E.O.W.)

Started by _AH_Moggy, November 28, 2007, 08:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moggy

~S~ all.  Last night I got the chance to talk with VPF_Duffy and learn a little bit about this system.  It looks very interesting & seems like something we'd enjoy getting into as a squadron. 

I'll be reading up a bit on the nuts & bolts of the system, but in the meantime Duffy has invited us to join in VPF's regular campaign mission(s) this Friday night, at 6:00 p.m. EST.  Note:  It would be a good idea to show up at least :30 early.  I don't have any information regarding exactly which type of missions they'll be, but they will be set in the pacific, in the Midway area.  It's intended to "get our feet wet," so-to-speak, so it promises to be fun.

VPF's Ventrilo Server Info:
TX1.LeetVent.com (port: 3834; no pw)

For those interested in exploring more about S.E.O.W, here's the link:

http://seow.sourceforge.net/

They have a "user's guide" there that I downloaded last night (but haven't had time to get into yet).

So, I'd recommend that we give this system a fair try.  See you guys Friday!

Moggy

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Moggy. If AH does fly S.E.O.W. Friday will someone take notes 'cause I have a concert Fri. and Sat. night. Thanks.
  TD
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Olds

S! Moggy! Did you say that was 6:00 pm Eastern? If so, it might be difficult for me to get in...usually with wife out grocery shopping, or other things.. (roll) kinda a have-to case, since I'm the only driver (for now). Does sound like fun though...hate to miss it  :sad-056:
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Thanks for the post, Moggy. I'm pretty sure that's 9 EST. for mission load...try to report in about ahalf hour earlier to get situated.. but the idea this friday is to introduce us to the Scorched Earth format/protocol as well as give those that are interested a precursory walk through regarding the strateegeree involved and see how the ground task forces can be placed.

It sounds like a lot of fun to me. One thing i heard that i liked is that the missions are timed. the missions i heard about were set to 1 hour.
The only down side to that is.. if we all die in the first 15 minutes... the mission still has to run for the rest of the hour so that all of the ground forces can complete their objectives in order for the next mission to be a  dynamic continuation.. 

and just to try and keep the confusion down.. we're gonna give er a go this friday.. but friday will probably not be the regular night for these missions.. right now we're leaning towards Saturdays or Thursdays..   please add a new connection to your Ventrilo, to the VPF ventrilo before Friday..  use the connection info supplied by Moggy in his post. i did and it worked.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

(tongue)

OK ...... I'm pretty sure I understand this to be happening Fri. 30th at 9p.m. eastern. Will be there! It's going to be fun! A meeting of the minds. lol ~S~

Fly'n is the second greatest thrill
known to man, Landing is the first!
  Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. i'm looking forward to finding out about the S.E.O.W., too.. From what i hear.. each side is able to enter in way points for their ships and ground forces while each side is unaware of what the other side is planning.  On the face of it, it sounds like it should add lots of realism... which also means we may end up flying a mission with little or no enemy contact other than reconning some of the enemy's positions for the next mission.. or it could be a giant furball..

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Moggy

Yes (doh), it's 9:00 p.m. Eastern, not 6!  Sorry!

Moggy

_AH_Ring

rgr Duffys a california boy....We also need to decide on settings, nite for campaign and such....they have in the past flown full real but I believe they have moved to externals
and Icons like us....personally I like the way we do things and saturdays are good for me....

Ring

_AH_Col._Hogan

I concur Ring, Sometimes "friendly icons only" is nice...................S!

_AH_Gonzo

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_BBQhead

S~. From what i've been hearing on coms, Saturday looks like choice #1, with thursday as choice #2.

External views would be nice.  i wouldn't mind seeing just a number and color for enemy icons.. just to be able to communicate to each other what we're targeting.. the low one.. the one that's turning.. just doesn't cut it for me. maybe have the number and color come in at about 2.5 k. ?  friendlies.. maybe a little further out.. dots somewhere around 12? give or take a couple...i don't see dots too well anyway.. but some kind of identifier on the enemy would be nice...just a color and number is my preference for icons. 
What about minimap? being able to see your plane on the map.. i kinda like being able to be lost...or minimap off...
also i was reading about the different modes that S.E.O.W can operate in.. the different modes allow ground forces to go off road or not.. also tells the ground forces whether they have to use bridges instead of being able to just go anywhere regardless of the terrain... from what i read.. Relaxed mode looks good.. the tanks and cars have to use bridges, but can also be given off road way points..   

_AH_taldrg

~S~ I was looking into the S.O.E.W. site and all the downloads that one must make but if you have such and such system this and/or that will not work so you will have to do this and/or that in order for this and/or that to work. I don't think this ol' jarhead can understand all that or if I have enough hard drive or memory left to handle it all.  :help-sos-sos-29402:
TD
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_BBQhead

S~ TD.. i think all of that stuff isn't needed to fly the missions.. i think those downloads and things are for the host and the planners.. i believe you'll be able to participate without having to install anything.. not sure.. but i'm not expecting to have to install anything to fly.. only to be part of the tactical  planning team..

_AH_Duff4r

Hiyas!

Although absent a lot lately.....I plan on being there.  Scorched earth is cool.  I was there when it started.  I don't remember downloading anything.

CYAS,
Duff

_AH_BBQhead

S~ All.  Had a good time last ngiht with the VPF guys and the S.E. missions. no download needed to fly the missions..
I was expecting more of a walk through, but either i was mistaken or it didn't happen onaccounta things got started just a tad late.. so we haven't set a day for the start of the S.E. campaign yet, or the settings, but we did agree on the New Guinea map.
  We'll be discussing the settings at the meeting tomorrow. The S.E. missions almost require no external views since starteegeree and stealth are vital to success. that said, i'll add...I've always disliked flying with no external views..but i also dislike scrolling through enemy views trying to locate them. so our system of leving them enabled but not using the enemy view is perfect for me.. but i don't think it's reasonable to ask the VPF guys to trust us as much as we trust ourselves.. so that's not an option this time.
  As my carcass was bobbing about in the ocean about halfway through the second mission..all i could do was look at the spot where i went down since there were no external views..well, as my torso began to swell up.. i came to a realization that it isn't the no external views setting that i really dislike so much.. it the no icons ..or extremely short icons.. that always seem to accompany the no external view setting.  so if we can get some icons.. as i've mentioned just a color and number is my preference..it would be a lot more fun for me.. i can't see myself enjoying full real settings on any kind of sustained basis.   
This format looks like a lot of fun.. now that we've seen a couple missions and how the stats and reports and the next missions are generated..it looks like something that might be a very good fit for us.
the main question is.. how many guys do not like to fly no externals.. or more directly.. would not fly the no external view missions? I won't fly them on a regular basis if there are no icons..or even super short icons... If too many of us have zero interest in flying with the no external view setting.. then we'll reconsider our involvement in the Scorched Earth format.