Scorched Earth Online Wars (S.E.O.W.)

Started by _AH_Moggy, November 28, 2007, 08:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

For myself.....

I flew with the FA for several years and left them because of three things:

1.)  Although I appreciate Full Switch it gets very tiring and un-fun at times.  You really have to work it.  That's pretty much all FA flew.

2.)  They were mostly EST and I was getting on just as they were going to bed.

3.)  I found this squad the AH.  This is the best most fun squad that I have ever flown with bar none and that includes two other SIMs WarBirds and Aces High (The SIM)  :drinking-43:

Now then, I really had a good time last night.  I do agree with BB.  I need the speed bar and the Icons especially for friendly.  We just can't look around or lean in the same fashion that the real pilots did.  If everyone had TrackIR that might be different but everyone doesn't.  Icons allow us to have some semblance of order and to fly and fight as a squad.  The icons can be shortish but not ridiculous.  As has been said before, without externals, when you're dead there's not much left but to leave which does help the game play for those still flying.

Plus ++
The VPF guys were very cordial and reminded me of us, The AH.  Stats and Strat.  Variety is the "Spice of Life"

Minus - -
The settings have to change to include Friendly Icons and SpeedBar.  A good portion of this squad needs to want to do this.

Conclusion* *
I will fly anytime, anywhere, and with any settings with our squad.

OK, I really didn't see much difference between SE and the campaigns/COOPs we fly except the results/stats online.  That's cool!

<Salute> Duff4r

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

:cool:

I enjoyed the scorched earth mission Fri. As you said BBQ the NO outside view is understandable for the reason of not being able to see where the enemy is during or after you are fly'n or not! Recon is the key in this style of campaign. As for the limited icons I can understand why some people who may not be use to it may not like it. But as everything it takes getting use to! I use to hate fly'n in cockpit. Quit the 31st for that reason. But got use to it and now rather fly it! As for short icons ....... likeing it more and more ..... probably why I do shorter icons when I host. Trying to get people use to it. I like the flight sims as realistic as possible! I give leaway when I adjust the icons because I know some people do like them. If it was up to me there would be none (realistic)but as I said I give leaway to the setting. Just a matter of giving it a chance and you will get use to it and in all reality prob prefer it after a while! Hope this doesn't come accross wrong but for the people who don't want to fly the scorched earth once a week for what ever reasons ..... so be it  (roll). But I think there are a few that do! Being invited I will represent myself as an AH member (there mission and there settings) and choose to fly it and have fun doing so with an open mind! Again there are things I rather not do .... but do for the enjoyment of others. With that said I hope AH members will give the scorched earth a chance (open mind) and fly this New Guina map through out the whole campaign .... giving it a fair chance no matter what we do for settings! And hey if you dont like it .... will you did something for an AH member and not yourself. lol. There is always next time on the scorched earth mission style for it sounds like we might be adapting the campaign style in AH doing something ourselves in the not so distant future. Correct? Will that is all input I have. You can choose to fly it or not! But as an (AH) member I will fly it giving my fellow AH members who want ot fly it the respect they deserve (not thinking of myself). This is not directed towards any AH member ...... but the group as a whole!

Respectfully,
Cpt._AH_Rgaa     (tongue)

Fly'n is the second greatest thrill
known to man, Landing is the first!
  Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

VPF_Darkcrest

*S* _AH_!

VPF_Darkcrest jumping in here, as I just noticed you had this thread going. I just wanted to jump in here and say, that it was a blast having you all come in and fly with us.  It was a WHOLE lot of fun. 

As far as setting up a regular Head to Head Campaign goes.  I believe, I will be the VPF Mission Planner (Commander) for it.  So, if you have a Mission Planner in mind already for this lemme know, and he/she and I can get together and discuss the Game Settings, the Map, etc. and start getting this all ready to go for a blast for each side.

Ohh. .. and as for externals. . .   as long as there is an "Honor System" in place, I don't think the other VPF guys would have an issue.

Anyway, it was great having ya'll with us.

Strength and Honor!
VPF_Darkcrest (AKA Crash-n-Bury!)

_AH_BBQhead

S~ Thanks for stopping by, DarkCrest. We had a lot of fun flying with your squad as well.

We talked about it at our meeting yesterday and there is a good bit of interest in the S.E. format.
_AH_ Ring will be our main point of contact for this, as he seems to know you guys pretty well adn vice versa.. but Moggy will be our senior mission planner .. hope this doesn't throw a wrench in things.

we often use the honor system in regards to external views.. we simply don't scroll through the enemy views when historically there was no radar.  Thanks for the offer of enabling them, but i'm thinking that no externals would be a better way to go for the S.E. missions.. as long as we can have some icons working.. just a number and a color appearing at about 2 to 2 and half clicks out... so that we can have a way to communicate to each other who's in or out on which target... and we also prefer padlock to be available.. if this is agreeable to the VPF then i think we can really have at it and have more fun than we're supposed to.
Ring was unable to attend yesterday's meeting, so may not have the latest info about all of this.. i'm expecting he'll see it here.. ask HQ about it if he has any  questions and then get in touch with you. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

VPF_Darkcrest

Sounds great!

Next time I see Moggy on our Vent (or Vice Versa) we can start hammering out the details.  As well as just HOW much of SEOW we want to utilize.

Can't wait to open a dialouge.  Speaking of that, I'll be on Tuesday night around 6 or so for VPF's Tuesday night run of the Midway Campaign.

Until next time!

*S*
VPF_Darkcrest out.

_AH_Moggy

:help2:

~S~ all.

Does anyone here in AH have the capability of setting up a MySQL server?

I'm attempting to set up the SEOW system, and the only two options for accessing the database therein are:

1.  Use Microsoft Access (a $200.00 program now) to set up a local install.  or
2.  Set up our own MySQL server (anywhere on the internet).

Note:  the MySQL software is a free download;  what we need is someone with the expertise to set the server up (and have it running), then install the MySQL software.

Moggy

_AH_BBQhead

S~. yes. although i'm not the one to set it up...we have mysql available and  i'm pretty sure we have at least one if not 5 or 6 guys that know how. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_taldrg

~S~ IS THAT ALL THERE IS??
It starts at 9 PM Eastern so you better be a little early so said the post. I can't believe what happened last night. I came on Ventrilo at 8:15 eastern and we finaly were airborn 10:30 eastern. Sat on the Carrier deck for 45 min. and then the whole program had to be e-mailed to someone else who had a stronger PC. Got it started again and re-planed and sat for another 20 min. while the picture jerked and jerked.
It was a night time mission. I headed our group out 325 degrees at 12000 ft for 30 min. turned around and flew back and landed on an unlit deck and that was it. The worst AH missions are twice as good as that thing last night. IS THAT ALL THERE IS??  If so.....well.
   TD
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

No that is not all there is. Had some technical probs last night but was worked out. This is a realistic campaign. The first couple missions will be slow no doubt. But there will be missions were you see little to no combat and others that may at times be over the edge. Like in real life sometimes there are boring flights. (recon ..... especialy at the beggining). ~S~ all

Fly'n is the second greatest thrill
known to man, Landing is the first!
  Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

_AH_tomtom

S!! Fellas, I am working on this as we speak, give me two weeks and we should be ready to go, just a little busy with holidays, but I have the time after Christmas and tweaking the website for this company.  So dont worry boys......!!

S!

"Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat."

_AH_BBQhead

S~. THanks, Tomtom. Check with Rumely and or Cobra.. They are both also seeing what they can figure out with it.. i am guessing you all might have bits and pieces for each other.
One consideration is that with the SEOW format, the server should be on always, or on a very reliable schedule..  part of the SEOW game is the players' ability to aid in the planning of the next mission by reporting any enemy locations, types and numbers they may have seen in the last mission on the SEOW website during the days leading up to the next sortie,  it also displays to you what other pilots report.. so we'll want it to be available as much as possible. the AH server.. this one ..might be an option, too.. it's always on.. but it might be more trouble than it's worth.. trying to get it working there instead of the one you can actually reach out and thump with a hammer when it needs it.
Thanks for all the time and effort on getting it going guys. 

the last couple VPF SEOW missions have had a few technical proglems that have in turn caused long wait times.. and the last one was a slide show for me, too.. a bit disappointing.. but don't get the wrong  idea.. we have a plan to minimize the waiting..and the technical probs. can't say there won't be some..   there will always be a wait trying to get large games going.. and there will be technical problems some of the time..but the first couple SEOW missions i flew with the VPF weren't anything like the last one.. the most recent run at it was an unfortunate introduction to the SEOW format for a couple guys.

it's nothing that hasn't happened to some of our missions from time to time.. can't test for everything.. but for the guys that had their first go at the SEOW two nights ago.. that was an unusually long wait. i can confidently say that was not the norm.. we should be about the same time in the ready room as we are for any other campaign mission.   and there's so much more to it.. almost too much to explain here..

but as briefly as i can..
  in coops now.. the mission builder builds it, maybe puts in some ships, maybe some ground vehicles.. and maybe some bombers almost always fighters.. and then we go in and fly the fighters and bombers.. either attacking or defending the ships or ground targets the mission builder put in..the whole story planned by one guy..

in SEOW coops..  Each side gets to deploy their own equipment, direct their own ships and ground vehicles in addition to deciding how to fly it.  and the next map is dynamically generated by the seow  server results.. and we plan the next mission based on those results and the debrief reports  that come in after the mission is over.. 
and there's MORE.. lol.. lots of bells and whistles that, on paper, look like a lot of fun.. recon planes that will give us recon photos.. if we guess correctly and fly them over or near the enemy.. if your captured, you might give up information, you might not.. lots of stuff that sounds like it will add a new dimension to the campaigns.. head to head campaigning.. it sounds too good not to. 

try to forget about that last one.. it was an abormality. 

_AH_taldrg

~S~ BBQ. Does VPF have a web site? If so , can I have it? I now(thanks to BBQ as always)have their vitrilo connection.
  TD
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Moggy

Quote from: _AH_tomtom on December 23, 2007, 03:45:05 AM
S!! Fellas, I am working on this as we speak, give me two weeks and we should be ready to go, just a little busy with holidays, but I have the time after Christmas and tweaking the website for this company.  So dont worry boys......!!

S!

S! and thanks, TomTom:  Not only for trying to get the SEOW server up and running, but for all you do here.

(standing at attention and saluting...)

Moggy

_AH_Moggy

BTW, just in case there is any doubt, Rumely & Cobra:  Please continue (er, expedite?) your efforts also.  The sooner we get this thing up and running, the sooner we can start figuring out what the **** SEOW is all about.  We're up against a start date of 1-22-08.  Of course, we can always choose to go in blind & ignorant  :help-sos-sos-29402: (nah, not really).

Moggy

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Latest report is Cobra has the seow web page working on his server.. no database plugged in yet. i'm hoping we'll actually end up with two fully capable servers available... just in case of a power outage or whatever..

Server guys.. Tomtom, Rumely, Cobra..again , thanks..  A LOT....and um... no one stop please.. we are working with a deadline and the sooner we can get em going the better..  sorry to ask all three, when we know we don't need three servers.. but the familiarity with the system will be a valuable asset as we go along even if we end up not using your server specifically....you'll more than likely end up  adminning some of the time on whichever one we use.
i'm thinkin you all  might want to get together and talk about the best way to get it all going with out overworking it.  thanks again..