4.10 - All read, Please

Started by _AH_Duff4r, January 01, 2011, 10:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

In short: 4.10 will only work on a vanilla unmodded 4.09m installation.

To mod it, we will have to support it fully, since developing mods for both 4.09 AND 4.10 would be a very difficult undertaking.

UP along with SAS, will fully support this patch.

What does this mean:

This means that a mod-activator for 4.10 will be developed and UP will build a new pack around it.
We will have to revisit every mod we have, and update them one at a time for 4.10 compatibility
We will have to stop support for 4.09, and over a period of time, 4.09 mods and activators will disappear from the site as they get replaced and updated.

This will be a bit of chaotic time, and some will be very unhappy about the ending of support for 4.09, but that is how it has to be. The two patches are just THAT different. In the future, UP and SAS may approach the integration of new official patches, i.e. 4.11 differently, but for this one, it either has to be all or nothing.

Please understand, this will be hard, but we cannot support two or more versions of the game. We have to get everyone on the same page if we are going to move forward in a meaningful way.

So, get yourself a copy or two of clean stock 4.10 ready on your PC, for modding and for a future UP version.

Lock down your current 4.09 install for your own fun, and know that where it is now, is where it is going to remain.

S~
Duff

_AH_Autorotate

i guess thats just how it has to happen, i dont mind. im more happy that they are actually still working on this game making it better and better.

though as a group i think we should still use 4.09 with our current set up until at LEAST . they have UP converted to 4.10 then maybe switch.
im sure we will discuss this tomorrow night, but thats my thought on it.

_AH_DarkWolf

So does that mean it's no longer on the UP updater as a JSGME mod?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Duff4r

DW,

Can't answer that as of the moment. I received word today that they are now able to work with the 4.10.exe.

I certainly would think it's safe enough since work is just getting started I doubt that it could hurt. You'll either get it or not!

S~
Duff

_AH_taldrg

~S~ For me that 410 is a small shotgun and I ain't touching it or the update till advised to do so by my C.O.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Olds

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Jetdoc

have read updated and your right my 410 shot gun a bigger punch the 4:10 patch is junk what were they thinking, sent us back to the stone age

_AH_Duff4r

How funny to hear this now...

UltraPack & Zuti made the game what it is today. UP and SAS will fix this. The core is more solid than you think just looking at it.

Yep pure Stone Age w/o UP.
S~

Duff

_AH_taldrg

~S~ O.K. I ran the updater last night. It took about 30 min. to complete. I hope that was normal. I also hope that it will allow me to fly B.O.B tomorrow 'cause I have not been able, for some reason, to fly them for the last 3 missions. Oh well. Tech. is passing me by.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Yep.. 30 minutes for all the new files to download and install.. it should go more quickly if you run it again before more new files are added.

we can only hope it fixed your BOB problem, TD. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.