Memory Issues

Started by _AH_Olds, June 18, 2011, 04:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

Spent last night trying to figure out why the machine was getting bluescreens. After about 5 hours of this, ran Memtest, which recommended that since I had two memory sticks, to run two tests. When I did, it said the memory had problems, which confirmed what I was seeing (memory management, pagefault, etc.)  :unhappy-059: Took one stick out, and tested it, and it showed no errors after about an hour test (going to test the other stick when I have more time). Apparently have a bad stick of ram. Currently running Corsair (Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5) DDR 2. Only running on one stick right now, and so far, it hasn't crashed. Looks like I'll need to get more memory. Thought about contacting Corsair, but that would mean I would have to send both sticks back, which is not an option. Probably going to just by some Crucial memory...never had a problem with them. Hopefully, the game will run tonight.

S!

Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_z5o

ram has always been a funny thing. Ive came accross sticks that were exactly alike and just wouldnt run togather, although they ran just fine with other sticks. I dont know why this is, but, thats what Ive seen in the past. Now the NEW ram that has came out over the years may not have that issue, Im betting they still do.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Zipzag

I think you might have to go into your Bios and turn off your memory management and let windows handle it . I had something of the same problem with a Asus P5B board  . The techs told me to turn it off, it was causng  conflict . Try that before you get new ram .  If that dont work you can always change it back .

_AH_Olds

Will that work with a Gigabyte board (EP45C-UD3r) ?
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Zipzag

I don't know Olds you'll have to go into your bios and look . My Asus Pk board has it .

_AH_Lippy

Hey Olds what was the name of the mem program we where discusing. TY ~S~ Mark

_AH_BBQhead

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Olds

Plugged in the other stick of ram in the first slot, started the test, and came up with 3 errors almost as soon as I started it. Said the memory could not be allocated. Looks like that is the bad stick. Time for replacement soon. Thanks for the help everybody.

S!

Olds

_AH_BBQhead

Try them in a different slot, Olds..

If both sticks are getting errors in the same slot.. it might be the slot that's bad..

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Olds

The other stick is not getting any errors in that slot, just the one that I pulled out.

_AH_z5o

I was going to say something but, I just cant remember what is was. :thinking-008:
Where did I place those keys? :thinking-008:
Now what was the name of that song? :thinking-008:
What did she tell me to pickup from the store?  :thinking-008:
I have no ideal WHO that was... :thinking-008:
I thought I parked in lot "B". :thinking-008:
I thought you told me 8:00 Pm.  :thinking-008:
I had a sex life!?!  :thinking-008:
Why did I come in here for,,, nevermind.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.