Graphics Issues

Started by _AH_Olds, December 01, 2011, 03:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

I'm having a few issues with my graphics, and need some help. One of the issues just started with the new version of the game, while the other has been around for a bit...the latter seemed just a nuisance, so I didn't worry about it at first. Now I wonder if the two issues are related. First off, my config file settings (at least for the graphics) are the same in UP 3.0 RC4 as in UP 2.01.

Just for the record, system specs:

Gigabyte EP45C-UD3r
Win XP Home 32 bit
4 gig Corsair ram (3.25 seen by XP)
nVidia EVGA GeForce GTX260 (285.58 driver)
Antec EA650 ps

For the first issue, the fonts on the desktop have not looked right for some time. I did do a reinstall of XP recently, but something changed after that, and I'm not sure what it was. Here's a screen shot:

As you can see, the fonts on the hyperlobby screen are fuzzy, and have a red tint to them. I tried changing the font styles (turning XP Cleartype off did clear it up, but the fonts were hard to read), so that didn't seem to be the solution.

The other issue is with flashing textures in the new version. When I look through the prop, at times it looks like the cloud has a flash to it as the prop goes by. I've got an ntrak of this for anyone who wants to see it (I couldn't describe it, so a track seems the only way to show what is going on). I even get what looks like a green tint, just above the icon, like a 3D effect, only green  :thinking-008:

I've uploaded the config and ntrak files to my Skydrive. https://profile.live.com/P.mvc#!https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=68ff884b616e9245!cid=68FF884B616E9245&id=68FF884B616E9245!123 Hope it works.

Any ideas, please let me know. Probably something simple..

Thanks,

_AH_Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Jack

Try locating and installing the driver for your make & model of monitor.  Plug & play may not be the way to go.  I had to do that for one of my previous LCD monitors.

_AH_Olds

Ok, thanks, Jack. I'll try that. I noticed it has the generic driver installed. Worth a shot.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Olds

Didn't fix it, unfortunately. I've made another track, and posted it to the skydrive (same link).  Look at the texture of the prop from the outside view...very weird.

Thanks,

Olds

_AH_BBQhead

S~

I watched the graphics track. It looks normal from here.  Have you checked  the video cable and made sure is securely connected to the monitor and the pc?   You might try resetting the monitor to default settings ( using the buttons on the monitor). 

If you have a spare monitor around somewhere, you might want to try attaching that and see how it looks.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Prop

Tracks are generally not a good way to diagnose graphical issues, as the computer that is playing the track renders it using it's own graphical setup. The only way to see the glitches is through screenshots.

_AH_Duff4r

If you see the problem then 99.9% of the time it's the video equipment.....Vid Card or Monitor. Do what BB said and try another monitor.

Prop's right, all looks just fine on my piddly LapTop.

GL
S~
Duff

_AH_Olds

I found the problem. Monitor (Samsung 226 BW) has an adjustment on it called RTA (response time accelerator). Supposed to run the monitor at a faster speed for a better picture...only problem is, it causes issues. When I turned it off, the problem went away. Had problems with it before, leaving bows in the sky on previous video card. I ran a quick mission with an F4U over the Pacific with clouds, and you could see the difference through the prop when it was switched on and off. It gets enabled by default...at least now I know what to look for if it happens again. Game looks good again!

Thanks guys for all the help!