Computer Help / Info needed

Started by _AH_Twisted, April 26, 2012, 05:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Twisted

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to pick up a used system, however I have some reserves about it and will it work for this game and my joystick.

Right now what I know about it is:

Athlon X2 Dual core
PCI Express 1.0 16x video slot
4 gigs of ram
500 gig HD
O/S is Vista 64 bit

I already know I have to change the PS and video card. These are what I'm considering based no my budget.
Video Card - EVGA GT430 Fermi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130609

Power Supply - Antec 520w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

Joy Stick is a MS Force Feedback 2

My brother did some checking and he says there are no drivers for XP available for the system which is an HP.

~S~

_AH_DarkWolf

What is the speed of that particular dual core?

I ran an intel 2.66ghz dual core with 2 gigs of ram with a 9600GT video card for a long while and it ran this game comfortably. That was in perfect mode with some mild AA and AF.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Twisted

Found out just before work it is a 2.4ghz DW

_AH_Tbull

Word of wisdom, I traded out a Mac Pro and up-dated just because with pci 1 for the video card I would "never" be able to get a better card for it. But than that's just me. Good luck, S~

_AH_DarkWolf

Are you talking PCIE 1.0, Tbull? Cause any PCIE 2.0 card will still work in a 1.0 slot, just at 1.0 speed. Unless it's a really powerful card it's not likely to need the extra capability of 2.0.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Twisted

I'm just confuuuuuuuuuuuuus- ED  (roll)

Anyways I would be going from a P4 2.8 with AGP to the above system. Even though that old P4 isn't viable anymore. Since I'm also on such a limited budget, less than the GTX cards seem to sell for by themselves this is why I'm looking at this.

I did make some minor changes to the video card option though. Since I'm probably not going to be able to afford to change the PS right away and I'm growing more and more impatient, these are the two that I'm now considering.

Gigabtye

Asus